The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Nice deadlifting and squats
Tonight was egregious. Didn't feel up to it.

Squats:

130 x 5/5

Harder than they should have been...

Press:

72 x 3/2

**** it.

Some foam rolling my back then home.
Okay session tonight.

Pause squats:

150 x 2

Not too bad but trousers ripped and didn't want to totally ruin then before my workout really began, and low back and glutes were feeling tight. Plus I was using an awkward rack set up, too. /excuses.

Bench press:

80 x 10/10/9

A little disappointed about missing the last rep on the last set.

Power cleans:

80 x 3/3/3/3/3

Nothing difficult here. Getting back into these because upon reviewing my log, I set PRs when I clean.

Then home.
Nice bench
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 5/5/5/5/5

Not too bad, just starting out on the 5x5s.

Press:

72 x 4
60 x 6/5

Last set might have been 6 but can't remember so will write down 5. My press has obviously stalled. Going to reset it.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Reset my deadlifts because I wasn't happy with back position. A bit happier tonight overall, although was failed to pull the slack out of the bar before the pull, leading to jerkiness off the floor and losing back position slightly.

Then home.
Good session tonight. Right knee feeling a bit awkward, though, and back still the same as usual.

Squats:

120 x 5/5

Light squats. 80% of Monday's 5x5.

Bench press:

95 x 5/5/5
80 x 6

Happy with this. First set worst as I set up too close to the uprights and hit them once.

Power cleans:

82.5 x 3/3/3/3/3

Not too bad.

Then home.
Decent session tonight. Back the same as usual.

Squats:

172.5 x 5

Quite difficult. Think I'm sliding forward into my knees a bit too much as they feel a bit awkward after squatting sometimes. Perhaps mainly on heavier weights as sometimes I feel a bit too scared to lean over enough. But none of this is for certain.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

De-loading these as I have failed too many times in a row now.

Chins:

bodyweight x 7/7/5

Bodyweight increased to mid 90s now.

Some stretching then home.
Average session tonight. Knee still not feeling right. I'm going to add the excuse of a little less sleep than usual. Gym was really busy tonight.

Squats:

152.5 x 5/5/5/5/5

Not too bad. Bit tiring though.

Bench press:

97 x 5/5/3

A bit disappointed about the last set but still a PR.

Deadlifts:

182.5 x 3

Meh, failed the 4th. Not really sure what's up with my deadlift; perhaps it was the aforementioned excuse, or perhaps it was the squats, or perhaps it was the bar (I don't like deadlifting on the bar I used tonight).

Then home.
Light session tonight. Right knee still feeling awkward.

Squats:

122.5 x 5/5

Light squats, but always feel a bit heavier on light day.

Press:

67 x 5/5/5

Not too bad at all.

Chins:

bodyweight x 7/5/3

Meh.

Some stretching then home.
Decent enough session tonight. Knee still the same.

Squats:

175 x 5

Very difficult. Think I have a bit too much knee slide going on, and an excessively tight right hamstring.

Bench press:

97 x 5/5/4

One more than last time. Last rep of first set was an absolute grinder, so happy to have gotten another set of five and then an extra rep compared to last time. Just need to keep in the groove.

Deadlifts:

182.5 x 5

Better this time. Different bar, and took off my shoes. Just need to practice pulling hard and keeping tight, and also head position.

Then home.
Decent squatting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice bonching. Ever maxed?
Decent session tonight. Knee still the same.

Squats:

155 x 5/5/5/5/5

Okay. Trying to stay in the hips and prevent knee slide.

Press:

69 x 5/5/5

Okay.

Power cleans:

85 x 3/3/3/3/3

Okay again.

Then home.
Original post by redbuthotter
Nice bonching. Ever maxed?

Not recently.
Decent session tonight.

Pause squats:

120 x 3/3

Only light, to try and feel the correct bottom position and try to help against knee slide.

Bench press:

97 x 5/5/5

Difficult, but finally got them all.

Pull-ups:

bodyweight x 6/6/2

Tried some pull-ups with my new and improved bodyweight. Surprised I managed 6. Not sure what happened on the last set though.

Then home.
Meh session tonight. Knee still the same - think it's rectus remoris trigger points, as the pain is under my knee cap and extends up the thigh a bit. I think these trigger points are caused by shifting too much of the weight to my right side. I think this occurs for a few reasons, with one of them being the racks are not level with the mirrors and although I look down I still get a glimpse of my shins and knees in the mirror and my whole set-up feels a bit off. I also think that my right hamstring is excessively tight and that this may be causing a slight twisting at the bottom. I may even have uneven shoulders, too.

Squats:

177.5 x 2

Knee not feeling right and form was poor. Tore trousers, as they were too tight and restrictive. Disappointing.

Press:

71 x 5/5/5

Decent enough, a new PR.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

Okay.

Then home.
Nice lifts!!

To be honest, I haven't read massive amounts of this blog, but I'm confused at your programming. What program are you running? Is this still one of Rippetoes programs?
Nice squatting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MountKimbie
Nice lifts!!

To be honest, I haven't read massive amounts of this blog, but I'm confused at your programming. What program are you running? Is this still one of Rippetoes programs?

I do the Texas Method for squats and deadlifts but still try to use the basic novice progression for upper body lifts.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Nice squatting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Em, I was kinda hoping for five...
Original post by Smack
I do the Texas Method for squats and deadlifts but still try to use the basic novice progression for upper body lifts.

Em, I was kinda hoping for five...

It was like 22kg more than your previous session lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest