The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gingerbread101

Update 25/02/2016

Apologies for not updating yesterday, I was at Scouts in the evening. Today I got back my second English Literature coursework draft to make some changes, and my teacher said it's already almost done! I'm aiming for close to full marks in this coursework, wish me luck! I've also started writing the introduction of my History coursework personal study about Oliver Cromwell.
Notemaking

Uploading photos doesn't seem to be working tonight, so I'll upload the photo for this post separately :smile:

For the notes in the photo (which I made in history today), I was using a Muji 0.38 gel pen, and Stabilo highlighters.

I like to colour code my highlighting throughout my entire folder (so pink = social factors, blue = political factors, green = economic factors), which helps me to be able to see things easier as I go through to revise.

When notemaking, I also find arrows and tables really helpful, and always condense the textbook.

How do you like writing notes?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

I'm really not a note-taker/maker but yours are beautifyl
Original post by Andy98
I'm really not a note-taker/maker but yours are beautifyl

How do you manage without notes? :lol:
Original post by Student403
In maths, further maths and add. further maths there really isn't much to make notes on - it's more about practice for me :smile:In physics I never rewrite notes because again, I find reading over ones made in class quickly coupled with past paper practice does the trick ^^And german... I should really make notes... I get by somehow? :rofl: This is probably why I struggle lol

Ah I guess for maths that's fair enough :tongue:

I don't rewrite all of my notes, but the ones in that photo were class notes :colondollar:

That's pretty impressive to get by in a language without notes :lol:

Ah I guess for maths that's fair enough :tongue:

I don't rewrite all of my notes, but the ones in that photo were class notes :colondollar:

That's pretty impressive to get by in a language without notes :lol:

Wow how do you get time to follow along? :O Our teacher dictates and we write down - so not too much time for fancying up :3

That's the thing - I struggle a lot and that's probably why it's my least strongest subject :frown:
Original post by Student403
Wow how do you get time to follow along? :O Our teacher dictates and we write down - so not too much time for fancying up :3

That's the thing - I struggle a lot and that's probably why it's my least strongest subject :frown:

A lot of the time we do more notemaking from textbooks than our teacher talking, and I'm really quick and picking out key information and writing it down quickly, so often I'll be finished before everyone else and have enough time to highlight or add colour to my notes where I see fit :yep: When it's the teacher dictating lecture style, I generally just switch pens quickly for key words or titles :smile:

Does your teacher do the same thing in German? :smile: you could try some different note making techniques
A lot of the time we do more notemaking from textbooks than our teacher talking, and I'm really quick and picking out key information and writing it down quickly, so often I'll be finished before everyone else and have enough time to highlight or add colour to my notes where I see fit :yep: When it's the teacher dictating lecture style, I generally just switch pens quickly for key words or titles :smile:

Does your teacher do the same thing in German? :smile: you could try some different note making techniques

Oh that sounds quite efficient :colondollar:

Actually it's a bit more messy in languages - back in GCSE/KS3, lessons were more "Ok kids write the title - write out 10 words and their meanings.. do exercise A from page 32 in the textbook" etc.

But at A level, the content is a lot more widespread and so much of it comes down to conversational learning and the like :smile: It's very interesting actually!
I only ever use blue (mainly for titles) red (mainly for keywords) and black (main colour of writing) for classwork and notes. I really don't like my handwriting in coloured fine liners/gel pens, just makes things harder to read :dontknow: Though my handwriting has become neater since I last tried different colours, so maybe should try it out again. :tongue:

I also don't highlight my handwriting (again makes things harder to read) but highlight printed out stuff. :lol:
Original post by Black Rose
I only ever use blue (mainly for titles) red (mainly for keywords) and black (main colour of writing) for classwork and notes. I really don't like my handwriting in coloured fine liners/gel pens, just makes things harder to read :dontknow: Though my handwriting has become neater since I last tried different colours, so maybe should try it out again. :tongue:

I also don't highlight my handwriting (again makes things harder to read) but highlight printed out stuff. :lol:

I do all of my notes in gel pens because of how smooth the writing is :love: Only problem I find sometimes is you can't highlight them immediately because they smudge :colondollar:
Reply 47

I have a scribe :wink:

Although tbh I don't really get the whole note thing - I do maths, further maths and comp sci; those are doing things not reading things :tongue:
Original post by Andy98
I have a scribe :wink:

Although tbh I don't really get the whole note thing - I do maths, further maths and comp sci; those are doing things not reading things :tongue:

Haha, I guess :tongue: I couldn't cope without making notes :lol:
Reply 49
Haha, I guess :tongue: I couldn't cope without making notes :lol:

For me I just wouldn't know where to start if I tried making notes :rofl:
Original post by Andy98
For me I just wouldn't know where to start if I tried making notes :rofl:

A heading is always good :wink: :lol:
Reply 51
A heading is always good :wink: :lol:

Like what though??
Original post by Andy98
Like what though??

Oh my :lol:
Just whatever the bit of work is about, like this one :tongue:

Edit: Photo didn't work :emo: The title was 'Government policies 1945-1969'
Reply 53
Oh my :lol:
Just whatever the bit of work is about, like this one :tongue:

Edit: Photo didn't work :emo: The title was 'Government policies 1945-1969'

Oh OK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update 28/02/2016

I've not been able to post for ages! Unfortunately, it feels like I've not been able to work for ages either... I was leading a session for Scouts over in York this weekend, and today I had a full day rehearsal for the school performance (I'm so exhausted!!). Before I went to York on Friday night, I managed to finish the next draft of my English Literature coursework.
Editing coursework
IMG_20160226_154706.jpg

When I'm editing my coursework, the first thing I do is read all the comments and make changes in a different coloured pen.

When I go back onto the computer to edit it, I highlight my changes on the paper when I type them up so I know what I've done and can always go back and see what it was before.

Do you have coursework?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Update 28/02/2016

I've not been able to post for ages! Unfortunately, it feels like I've not been able to work for ages either... I was leading a session for Scouts over in York this weekend, and today I had a full day rehearsal for the school performance (I'm so exhausted!!). Before I went to York on Friday night, I managed to finish the next draft of my English Literature coursework.
Editing coursework
IMG_20160226_154706.jpg

When I'm editing my coursework, the first thing I do is read all the comments and make changes in a different coloured pen.

When I go back onto the computer to edit it, I highlight my changes on the paper when I type them up so I know what I've done and can always go back and see what it was before.

Do you have coursework?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Quick tip - on word there's a button to track changes so can undo them quickly.
Original post by Andy98
Quick tip - on word there's a button to track changes so can undo them quickly.

Oooh, thanks for that :awesome:
Reply 57
Oooh, thanks for that :awesome:

No problemo
Update 01/03/2016

Hello March!
This week is going to be very busy for me because every night I'm going to be at the school performance! So I won't really be able to update too much (or do much work!).
Decorating notes
IMG_20160301_214510.jpg

I was trying some new notemaking strategies tonight! These are inspired by a lot of posts that I've seen on Tumblr, and I really like the way the little curved stems and leaves make things stand out.

I find that having a colour scheme to notes always helps too!

Rather than highlighting notes, I like to outline the letters (like what I've done in the headings) because it makes things easier to read as well as standing out.

I'm also really into writing on squared paper at the moment - it looks so nice!

Does anyone else get carried away decorating their notes?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Update 01/03/2016

Hello March!
This week is going to be very busy for me because every night I'm going to be at the school performance! So I won't really be able to update too much (or do much work!).
Decorating notes
IMG_20160301_214510.jpg

I was trying some new notemaking strategies tonight! These are inspired by a lot of posts that I've seen on Tumblr, and I really like the way the little curved stems and leaves make things stand out.

I find that having a colour scheme to notes always helps too!

Rather than highlighting notes, I like to outline the letters (like what I've done in the headings) because it makes things easier to read as well as standing out.

I'm also really into writing on squared paper at the moment - it looks so nice!

Does anyone else get carried away decorating their notes?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Goals...

:moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending