The Student Room Group

Sean's Ship to Success

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InadequateJusticex
Congratulations on Japanese! You are evidently trying hard to get it together this term so it will all pay off in the end! It wouldn't be half as satisfying if you didn't work hard for a decent grade :smile:

:wavey:

Sorry that I wasn't able to update my blog this Sunday - I was going to, but then at the time that I usually post, I remembered that I'd scheduled a Windows 10 download (behind with the tmes, I know, and I think I prefer Windows 8 :hide:), so erm.. yes.

Just a really short one - I have my first test of the semester tomorrow, and I need to start studying for it! :rofl:

One of the goals that I set at the start of the semester was to get 80 or above in it so we'll see how it goes, and I'll try to be a bit more detailed about the second test that I have on Monday and the third on Tuesday.
:penguinhug:

Sorry, another short update from me. I really want to get into having a regular blog, so I'll just post as its Sunday. I've got my thinking cap on as I have a test, tomorrow at 10:30, so I could spent about an hour thinking of things to write and writing them up, or an hour doing another past paper for that test, and I've elected to do the latter.

My test on Friday was awesome, apart from a few hijinks and lessons to be learnt for others, but again, I'll talk about that next week. It's the Easter Holidays after this week and then only a few more weeks before exams! Crazy stuff.

Toodle do!
Original post by SeanFM

Sorry, another short update from me. I really want to get into having a regular blog, so I'll just post as its Sunday. I've got my thinking cap on as I have a test, tomorrow at 10:30, so I could spent about an hour thinking of things to write and writing them up, or an hour doing another past paper for that test, and I've elected to do the latter.

My test on Friday was awesome, apart from a few hijinks and lessons to be learnt for others, but again, I'll talk about that next week. It's the Easter Holidays after this week and then only a few more weeks before exams! Crazy stuff.

Toodle do!

Cheers! Good luck with your test :smile:
Original post by SeanFM

Toodle do!

Good luck :smile:
Easter Holiday, or lack thereof?

Hullo :hat2:

Sorry about the last two posts. It's been a rough few weeks of comfort eating, getting a cold and doing some exams. I'm now at home for a 2 week break, yay, but how am I going to spend it? :holmes: :hmmmm: :iiam:

But first - a quick reminder of my goals, and a few in particular.

Original post by SeanFM

What are my goals for the next semester?.
I'm hoping to improve my grades and finish the year with 70% or above overall.

In particular, I am aiming for:

95 or above in Japanese 2B.

70 or above in the Statistics 2B group coursework.

80 or above in Introduction to Accounting and Corporate Finance for Managers, including 80 or above in 'midterm tests'.

80 or above in Statistics 2B overall.

70 or above in Analysis 2B and Probability 2B.

About my Japanese speaking test....

Spoiler

My two midterm tests:

Spoiler

Sticky situation with sticky notes and notes, more sticky than the time sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Spoiler

Lastly, two semi-related vines (in my head...) and a goodnight from me. :hat2:

https://vine.co/v/iuJhL30Hmgt

https://vine.co/v/e9YpTguQ5Lw
(edited 8 years ago)
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. :flybye:

:cry: or so it seems. Where has this week gone?

Last week, I planned to do this:

I'm going to use 2 days (Monday and Tuesday) to go over the accounting and finance modules. This is because I've already done a fair bit of revision for them for the class tests so I just need to do some consolidation and extra practice).

This leaves me with 12 days, 4 per day for the remaining 3 modules, to go over lecture notes and problem sheets. Special attention will be given to Statistics and the programming aspect of it, as my group coursework will be set after Easter!

So what actually happened?

The first two days were spent on accounting, and then the next two on finance. I took a day off on Friday to go outside (the weather was lovely!) and also went to sing in a choir :hide:, same with Sunday. On Saturday, I started Probability and got through about a third of what I needed to get through, so good progress. But not really where I want to be!

Oh, and I got one of my results for the midterm tests - a 53. As I was aiming for 80, I.. didn't meet that goal. It could have been better, but I'm thankful for passing (and so not having my overall mark capped at 40 had I failed it) and I need to do really well in the exam. :tongue:

So my plan for the next week is as follows:

Finish probability work tomorrow, Tuesday by the latest.

Start Analysis work (this should be Tuesday or Wednesday) and wrap that up by Friday.

Start Statistics work on Saturday.

And then I'm back in Bath on Sunday. :cry:

Am I looking forward to being back in Bath and at uni? I'm not sure. I like it here, and I wish I could not sit exams. :rofl: :hide: But seriously, I hope with this week I establish some kind of momentum and just keep working from now until exam time. That's the idea, hopefully!

So sorry about that, nothing particulary interesting but I suspect that is about to change when I get back to Bath and I have one or two things planned.. :colone:
I didn't realise you had one until now :facepalm:. Sorry :colondollar:
You seem to be getting a lot of work done. Hold on to the moment and don't worry if the initial velocity is a bit slow, I'm sure you'd accelerate towards your goal! :colondollar:
Just don't forget to be positive when it comes to revision, just keep saying to yourself, 'you can do it' and you will! :biggrin:
Original post by aamirac
I didn't realise you had one until now :facepalm:. Sorry :colondollar:
You seem to be getting a lot of work done. Hold on to the moment and don't worry if the initial velocity is a bit slow, I'm sure you'd accelerate towards your goal! :colondollar:
Just don't forget to be positive when it comes to revision, just keep saying to yourself, 'you can do it' and you will! :biggrin:

:lol: no worries :blushing:

Yes, I am going to try that today! :biggrin: thanks for the advice. Hope your work/rest is going well too :h:
Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting last week - I was shifting myself from home to uni.

I won't be back until at least the 22nd of April - possibly longer - as I have a lot of work to do (plus coursework).

Adios.
Original post by SeanFM
Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting last week - I was shifting myself from home to uni.

I won't be back until at least the 22nd of April - possibly longer - as I have a lot of work to do (plus coursework).

Adios.

I was literally just wondering where you were :moon:

I hope you are okay, good luck with all of your work- I believe in you!

Emma
Group coursework and learn from my mistakes, please!

Right-o.

So I disappeared from TSR for a while. It helped me to be a bit more productive, and I needed to focus on my group coursework for Statistics. And I can say with 100% certainty (ha) that this coursework has been the most stressful 2 weeks of my life for some time now, and I am not someone that gets easily stressed out.

The coursework was basically about taking some data that was given, use a bunch of statistical techniques that we've learnt (it involves a lot of coding) and then writing it up properly and analysing theres. Here's a summary of what happened, step by step:

Spoiler

So.. what lessons are there to be learnt?

Spoiler

Righto, There's only two weeks to my exams. Here is my timetable.

4:30 exams are okay. It gives you some time to revise in the morning, but if you overdo it you can get fatigued and it's awful. 9:30 is too early. You have to be up at 7 and maybe get the early bus to ensure that nothing goes wrong.

I'm pretty happy with the spread. The first one will be quite difficult, the second relatively easy, third relatively easy, fourth and fifth will be difficult. I just wish they could move the last one all the way to Friday so I could have a week just for that module, but oh well.

So what will I be up to for the next 2 weeks..? Revision! :woo:You'd think I could have a break but there is no time (I had a few days break anyway :mmm:

Me versus my brain on taking a break:

Spoiler

I'll try and think of how I can make some genuinely useful revision resources for myself for that mini competition. I have one big idea and then maybe one or two others, so stay tuned :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's almost over.

:woo:

I can't believe that there's only 1 and a bit weeks left until I'm free. :s-smilie:

Right, so I've survived my first two exams. They went okay. I'm telling you now (you probably know if you're an A-level or uni student studying anything essay based) that having an essay topic come up that you revised for in an exam is the best feeling in the world. Wait, Sean's writing an essay? Doesn't he study Maths? Yes, but my corporate finance module had an essay question in it, worth 14 marks out of 100. It was interesting, because the lecturer said 'if you practice these 5 questions, you will be very well prepared for the exam'. I think the subtext there was that 'some of these questions are going to come up' and so they did!

Now, I'll be honest. He gave us those 5 questions, and I was planning the essays for 2 of them maybe an hour or two before exams. Not really great. And I gave up with one of them in the end, as I just didn't understand that theory that much, but luckily the right question came up and I am happy.

The other exam, Statistics, was okay. I'm not sure what to say or expect.

So I just have 3 left, on Wednesday, Friday and then Monday. Not much space to revise, and I've been off TSR (yes, that's how bad it is!) and have been quite productive, so after exams blow over I'll share the revision methods I've used and evaluate them properly, but uploading photos has always been a hassle so I can't do it at the moment :colondollar:

Until next time!
Original post by SeanFM
It's almost over.

I can't believe that there's only 1 and a bit weeks left until I'm free. :s-smilie:

Right, so I've survived my first two exams. They went okay. I'm telling you now (you probably know if you're an A-level or uni student studying anything essay based) that having an essay topic come up that you revised for in an exam is the best feeling in the world. Wait, Sean's writing an essay? Doesn't he study Maths? Yes, but my corporate finance module had an essay question in it, worth 14 marks out of 100. It was interesting, because the lecturer said 'if you practice these 5 questions, you will be very well prepared for the exam'. I think the subtext there was that 'some of these questions are going to come up' and so they did!

Now, I'll be honest. He gave us those 5 questions, and I was planning the essays for 2 of them maybe an hour or two before exams. Not really great. And I gave up with one of them in the end, as I just didn't understand that theory that much, but luckily the right question came up and I am happy.

So I just have 3 left, on Wednesday, Friday and then Monday. Not much space to revise, and I've been off TSR (yes, that's how bad it is!) and have been quite productive, so after exams blow over I'll share the revision methods I've used and evaluate them properly, but uploading photos has always been a hassle so I can't do it at the moment :colondollar:

Until next time!

That is a dream come true :lol: :moon:

Good Luck for the rest of your exams! The end it near! You can do it! :excited:
Original post by SeanFM
It's almost over.

Until next time!

Really enjoyed reading the blog! how'd the other exams go?
Original post by madmadmax321
Really enjoyed reading the blog! how'd the other exams go?

Thanks :colondollar: I've got a massive last post due tomorrow :tongue: I'm all done :woo:
Original post by SeanFM
Thanks :colondollar: I've got a massive last post due tomorrow :tongue: I'm all done :woo:

Looking forward to it! Enjoy your well earned break :biggrin:
Original post by madmadmax321
Looking forward to it! Enjoy your well earned break :biggrin:

Thanks for the support :colondollar:
Warning: really long post!

Like it says in the title.. so you can tell it's serious. :hide: and it's long, even by my standards, so... I suspect it will take maybe 2 or 3 days to read. :lol: this post is going to be a very reflective one to kind of wrap up my GYG journey, so without further ado..

3 The last exams - what happened?

What I learnt about exam season, the pressure, how to cope etc

What happened after exams, and future plans

Okay, you've waffled enough Sean, so what kind of revision tips did you pick up from all this? This is a study blog, remember!

reflections on the actual blog

I'll end as I began with some emoji art that took me far too long to make.

Spoiler

to anyone sitting their exams or waiting for results. :lol:

random study-themed vines

@SeanFM WOW! This is great! Thank you for spending time typing this up and posting for the benefit of others :yep: Myself and I'm sure many others appreciate this :smile: I think I'm going to use your post it note idea. I hope you get the results that you want on the 8th and I wish you luck on your placement :smile:

tat x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending