The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Rach87
You're right. You do have to be a canadian citizen to join the RCMP. You only need a work permit to join the smaller, more local Canadian police forces though. That's gonna be my hardest challenge... becoming a Canadian citizen.

LOL It's easier if you marry a Canadian :wink: hehee
Reply 81
The Canadian
LOL It's easier if you marry a Canadian :wink: hehee

Lol. you know, I'm sure I've read that marrying a canadian doesn't automatically give you the right to claim canadian citizenship.
Rach87
Lol. you know, I'm sure I've read that marrying a canadian doesn't automatically give you the right to claim canadian citizenship.

You're dead right, it doesn't. What it does allow is for you to be a resident in Canada without requiring a work visa, which can be hard to get hold of at times. Getting into Canada's the hard part really. That's why I said it's easier if you marry a Canadian LOL
I had these images on my computer, so I thought I'd upload them for your viewing pleasure.

The Save Horses and Bitch ones are my personal favourites, but I thought I'd upload the only Iron Maiden design where the flag Eddy is flying is not the Union Flag.

Oh, and by the way Rach, that's the reason I wanna join the RCMP!! Due South came after I saw that Iron Maiden design hahaa Joining the police force because of a rock band, definitely an unusual reason I think.
Reply 84
Kool pics. :biggrin:

I thought the bitch one was wicked. :smile: The iron maiden one... definately an original reason for joining the cops. Lol. That is one scary looking Mountie. I don't know if it would be a good thing to mention in the interview. :P

RCMP Interviewer: So why do you want to join the RCMP
You: *pulling out picture* I saw this and thought it looked like fun.

You know I wrote a response to that last long post of yours but the damn internet crashed ans I lost it ad now I can't remember what I said. Grrr. Lol.
Rach87
Kool pics. :biggrin:

I thought the bitch one was wicked. :smile: The iron maiden one... definately an original reason for joining the cops. Lol. That is one scary looking Mountie. I don't know if it would be a good thing to mention in the interview. :P

RCMP Interviewer: So why do you want to join the RCMP
You: *pulling out picture* I saw this and thought it looked like fun.

You know I wrote a response to that last long post of yours but the damn internet crashed ans I lost it ad now I can't remember what I said. Grrr. Lol.

Haha, yeah, have a look at my profile and the pic I have there, then imagine me as a mountie....not that different to good ol' Eddy there.

The only thing that *may* be a problem for any interview would be if they see me pull up in a hearse!! Haha!
Reply 86
A hearse? Kool... it's a very... practical method of transport (all that boot space).

Fair does, it must have taken a very long time to get your hair that long! Do you recon you can say it is against your religion to cut it and that they wouldn't make you cut it then?
Took 2 years to get it to 14 inches from about 3 or 4 inches in length :smile:

Hmmm, what religions are there with long hair? Jedi, Obi Wan has long hair!! LOL Or the religion of Ozzy Osbourne!
*bumps thread* Can't have the Canadian Soc falling behind now eh?

People been up to much?
Reply 89
Took up Karate after reading a book about a guy who went through Depot... It was years ago like coz he's now retired but still a really good read. Have you read it? It's Mountie Makers - Putting the Canadian in RCMP by Robert Gordon Teather.
Ooooh, no, not read it, but it sounds cool. I might have to take a look at that, cheers.

You're really going all the way with the RCMP stuff though aren't you? Reading books and taking up karate. I'd never look into all that stuff LOL Somehow, I think you'll do slightly better at the Depot than me :p:
Reply 91
Lol. Maybe, it's become almost an obsession for me. It's the first time I've thought this is really what I want to do... and nothing is going to stop me... not even my mum wanting me to take a nice safe office job or my nan saying we should be content in the country we grow up in or the fact that depot is nicknamed "Hell" by the instructors and recruits.

According to that book I mentioned in the last post the Corporal greeted them with "Welcome to Depot, gentlemen. Welcome to the RCMP. Welcome to hell." Sounds like fun, eh?

I figure I might as well start the training now because of how cheap it is to do sports while at Uni. So how's your pakour stuff going?
Haha, just the nickname "hell" makes me want to go! LOL

The parkour is going well thanks, just trying to master the wall run at the moment. Can only get over walls about twice my height, and I want to try for maybe 3 times my height.

And yeah, cheaper is always better in my opinion (the opinion of a student!) LOL
Reply 93
The Canadian
Check the requirements on the RCMP website http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca I however do not believe you can join the RCMP if you're not a Canadian citizen.

I'm a Canadian citizen, therefore I can join, but I do live in the UK, you are correct.

thanks for the reply!!! :smile:
sabria
thanks for the reply!!! :smile:

Tis no problemo :smile:
Reply 95
The Canadian
Haha, just the nickname "hell" makes me want to go! LOL

The parkour is going well thanks, just trying to master the wall run at the moment. Can only get over walls about twice my height, and I want to try for maybe 3 times my height.

And yeah, cheaper is always better in my opinion (the opinion of a student!) LOL

Lol. Well it's definately an interesting nickname, I'll give it that.

Wow, getting over walls twice your height is still quite a feat. I can only get over walls that I can get my fingers over... and being 5'3" that's not very high. Lol. If I have a friend with me then we can clear 10' maybe 11' foot walls but that's about it.

I may be going to Canada sooner than I had planned though... so long as my parents don't kill me first. Lol. I'm gonna be quitting uni after this year... coz I h8 my degree... so I can work on getting my Canadian citizenship. :biggrin:
Reply 96
So my parents live in Victoria, and I will most likely end up being in Canada the whole summer next summer. I was sort of considering doing some travelling, I would really like to drive from one end of Canada to the other (except I wouldn't really like to subject Canadians to my driving!), so what else would you suggest? I've done BC and Alberta a lot cos all my family is there, as well as Toronto/ Niagra, so I would like to go to the rest of Canada. What would you guys recommend? And the best way of doing it? And would I be ok on my own? I'm scared of being lonely, cos I like company!
Any ideas/ suggestions would be fab :smile::
Rach87
Lol. Well it's definately an interesting nickname, I'll give it that.

Wow, getting over walls twice your height is still quite a feat. I can only get over walls that I can get my fingers over... and being 5'3" that's not very high. Lol. If I have a friend with me then we can clear 10' maybe 11' foot walls but that's about it.

I may be going to Canada sooner than I had planned though... so long as my parents don't kill me first. Lol. I'm gonna be quitting uni after this year... coz I h8 my degree... so I can work on getting my Canadian citizenship. :biggrin:

Haha, I've been thinking so much about quitting uni, especially with me being offered jobs out in Canada all the time LOL It really doesn't help me stay in this country, but I've got a girlfriend and she's worth staying here for.

Yeah, I was free running the other day and I was just running up a wall onto the roof of a garage and then jumping down time and time again, it's surprisingly fun!

Where abouts in Canada you thinking of going to?
Reply 98
The Canadian
Haha, I've been thinking so much about quitting uni, especially with me being offered jobs out in Canada all the time LOL It really doesn't help me stay in this country, but I've got a girlfriend and she's worth staying here for.

Yeah, I was free running the other day and I was just running up a wall onto the roof of a garage and then jumping down time and time again, it's surprisingly fun!

Where abouts in Canada you thinking of going to?

My folks figured out that I was thinking of quitting Uni before I ot around to telling them Lol. They that I'll grow out of wanting to be in the RCMP. I told them if I don't get in I'll just join a different police force but they don't believe me. Lol. I've gotta wait and see what my results are like at the end of the year, if they aren't bad enough to fail then I'll have to stick around here, don't want the RCMP thinking I just quit when the going gets tough. Lol.

Some o the lads from the high school above the Uni campus here like doing that free running thing too. They were practising their technique or summat the other day, running up this wall on one of the buildings, trying to work out which foot it was best to plant on the wall first or summat, I think.

Don't know where in Canada to go yet. I'm gonna be working on an american summer camp in the summer and I'll have a few weeks (about 5 Lol) to go exploring Canada and America after so I think I'll head up to Canada and get one of those cheap train tickets for heading across the country... see what area I like the look of best.

There's a place in Nunavut that teaches Arctic survival so I'm hoping to head up there one winter soon and take part in some of their courses. Aparantly it's difficult (almost impossible) to get posted up north if you don't have any experience living in those conditions. Where abouts in Canada you looking to get a job?
Rach87
My folks figured out that I was thinking of quitting Uni before I ot around to telling them Lol. They that I'll grow out of wanting to be in the RCMP. I told them if I don't get in I'll just join a different police force but they don't believe me. Lol. I've gotta wait and see what my results are like at the end of the year, if they aren't bad enough to fail then I'll have to stick around here, don't want the RCMP thinking I just quit when the going gets tough. Lol.

Some o the lads from the high school above the Uni campus here like doing that free running thing too. They were practising their technique or summat the other day, running up this wall on one of the buildings, trying to work out which foot it was best to plant on the wall first or summat, I think.

Don't know where in Canada to go yet. I'm gonna be working on an american summer camp in the summer and I'll have a few weeks (about 5 Lol) to go exploring Canada and America after so I think I'll head up to Canada and get one of those cheap train tickets for heading across the country... see what area I like the look of best.

There's a place in Nunavut that teaches Arctic survival so I'm hoping to head up there one winter soon and take part in some of their courses. Aparantly it's difficult (almost impossible) to get posted up north if you don't have any experience living in those conditions. Where abouts in Canada you looking to get a job?

I'm looking for either a northern post or east coast post with the RCMP, or I'll go to Ontario or Vancouver. I'm partially based in Vancouver as it is.

I'll be going for a trek though before I try and join the RCMP. I'm aiming to be either the first, or one of the first, people to spend a couple of months actually living at the north pole. I have extremely good tolerance to the cold, and I'm a crazy fool like that! I'm going to get into the record books somehow LOL

And yeah, with parkour, the foot you take off from can make a lot of difference. I always take off with my right foot, but it's cos my right leg is stronger and longer than my left, so I can get more height.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending