The Student Room Group

How can anyone be fat?

I have to track my calories to even get enough to gain muscle, how exactly can anyone eat enough to get fat? In before "genetics"
Original post by intelligent con
I have to track my calories to even get enough to gain muscle, how exactly can anyone eat enough to get fat? In before "genetics"

Genetics as youve said
It is thought that some people are destined to gain weight because they have inherited “fat genes” from their parents.

Exercise is relevant.
A lack of exercise causes obesity; and we are getting better and better at not getting enough exercise,

Improper eating habits
learned while growing up, are thought to contribute to excessive weight gain over the course of a life time. The problem is there is no agreement about what constitutes proper or improper eating habits.

Another reason given for gaining weight is too much TV. The amount of time children watch television has been shown to correlate with weight; the more they watch, the heavier they get.

Lack of sleep.
People who sleep less eat more. Maybe they have nothing better to do. Maybe there are chemical changes that take place in the brain to compensate for inadequate sleep.

Certain drugs.
Some of the anti-depressants, for example, cause weight gain.

Certain hormones.
The usual “glandular conditions” that are mentioned often by lay people as an explanation for obesity include low thyroid and high cortisone levels. The effects they produce on weight, however, are relatively minor and inconsistent.

(edited 8 years ago)

Just thank the powers that be for blessing you with a good metabolism. And enjoy it while it lasts...
to even get enough to gain muscle

I used to be on the thin/athletic side too, apart from a good workout with reps in between 8-12 concentrating on strength, no working the same muscle within 48 hrs and increasing resistance and range of movements, whats your calories made of?

Eating 3k calories wont help if its not mainly good whole foods (unprocessed is best) and full of protein, have you tried

-nuts esp almonds and walnuts
-chicken breast/thighs turkey
-tuna
-milk lots of this
-cheese
-avacados
Original post by ForestShadow
I used to be on the thin/athletic side too, apart from a good workout with reps in between 8-12 concentrating on strength, no working the same muscle within 48 hrs and increasing resistance and range of movements, whats your calories made of?

Eating 3k calories wont help if its not mainly good whole foods (unprocessed is best) and full of protein, have you tried

-nuts esp almonds and walnuts
-chicken breast/thighs turkey
-tuna
-milk lots of this
-cheese
-avacados
Yeah I've recently been making gains since I began tracking my calories and making sure I meet my macros but I do have to go out of my way to meet these calories which is sort of the point I was trying to make in this thread.
Original post by Platopus
Just thank the powers that be for blessing you with a good metabolism. And enjoy it while it lasts...
Its not my metabolism, its doing exercise and not eating two pizzas and a cake a day
Im too lazy to exercise and I love food :3

I can't eat enough to be fat but I can go out and have 15 Jagerbombs, a few bottles of Bud and a handful of double JD and Cokes at a total energy intake of nearly 5,000 cals.

Calories don't just count when you lift them on a knife and fork, chew them and swallow them, it's total energy consumption that the expenditure needs to be balanced against.
Genetics as youve said
It is thought that some people are destined to gain weight because they have inherited “fat genes” from their parents.

Exercise is relevant.
A lack of exercise causes obesity; and we are getting better and better at not getting enough exercise,

Improper eating habits
learned while growing up, are thought to contribute to excessive weight gain over the course of a life time. The problem is there is no agreement about what constitutes proper or improper eating habits.

Another reason given for gaining weight is too much TV. The amount of time children watch television has been shown to correlate with weight; the more they watch, the heavier they get.

Lack of sleep.
People who sleep less eat more. Maybe they have nothing better to do. Maybe there are chemical changes that take place in the brain to compensate for inadequate sleep.

Certain drugs.
Some of the anti-depressants, for example, cause weight gain.

Certain hormones.
The usual “glandular conditions” that are mentioned often by lay people as an explanation for obesity include low thyroid and high cortisone levels. The effects they produce on weight, however, are relatively minor and inconsistent.

Comprehensively answered
Original post by ODES_PDES
Comprehensively answered

and mine is advice on social and romantic topics with some fitness/martial art/dance/troll destroying knowledge as well :h:
Its not my metabolism, its doing exercise and not eating two pizzas and a cake a day

Then you've answered your own question. People become fat by doing the reverse.

and mine is advice on social and romantic topics with some fitness/martial art/dance/troll destroying knowledge as well :h:

Impressive
:redface:
Some people have large appetites and can comfortably go over their maintenance every day. I can eat 1000-1500 over maintenance easily if given the chance, and I have done when dirty bulking for novice strength gains. If you have a small appetite count yourself somewhat lucky :p:

I feel like this post is where you've answered your own question.
I guess subconsciously in the way of a bad relationship with food and poor established eating behaviors, lack of self control, or ignorance about your own body and nutrition; or consciously choosing to eat more as you enjoy it.

Obviously crazily more complicated than this... involving variance between people in effectiveness of biological feedback pathways and dopaminergic and serotonergic brain systems... so simply put.

Only in the verrrrrrry few do hormones play a role as far as I know, such as underactive thyroid - thyroxine and triiodothyronine (?), and hypothalamic problems.

Quick Reply

Latest