The Student Room Group

chelseadagg3r's Summer Bucket List!

Scroll to see replies

Hey there TSR! I'm alive!

Twenty four days in! I'm up to 1020 views today which is just insane considering all I do is blabber on about my day of doing very little, but I'll take it!

I started my day with Netflix, as always. Surprise, surprise. I came across The Talented Mr. Ripley and knew it was the one. I've wanted to see it for ages, but my IMDb watchlist is pretty full so I never remember to actually track it down and watch it. It was so good. I can really see why it has such a following and honestly, to think that Matt Damon wasn't the first choice to play Tom just feels wrong. I'm so glad they cast him instead of Tom Cruise like they were considering. I totally understand why when Matt Damon said that this was his favourite film to make. It's hard to talk about all the films I'm watching because I don't want to spoil them for you. I want you to read my short little thoughts on it, see what I've been watching, and maybe you'll feel a little inspired to watch it yourselves. Where's the fun in that if I just spoil the whole thing?

I ended up ordering pizza for tea tonight. It's just way too hot to be standing around cooking. I had half chicken and sweetcorn, and half with chicken, sweetcorn, tandoori chicken and ham. That was with extra cheese and extra tomato base thrown in! I'm actually regretting not getting a large because there's nothing better than reheating takeout pizza for breakfast! Alas, I'll have to do without.

It makes me laugh how as a country, we suck with any kind of change in weather/temperature. We get a little snow and schools will start closing, cars will be abandoned everywhere, public transport just shuts down. We get a bit of sun and we all complain and feel like going outside would be walking into our own graves. At least that's how it is where I live. Twice, when I was in school, we all had to go home in the morning because it rained somewhat heavily for an hour. There was no flooding or flood warning, no ice risk, and no actual storm but we all got sent home anyway.

With my food, I finished off Making a Murderer. Holy crap. Just holy crap. That's all I can say. I really get what they lawyer meant at the end about hoping Avery was guilty. I looked up a lot of media on it from the UK and there were a lot of comments from defence lawyers, police, prosecutors and such in the UK about how the case would've likely gone over here and how it should've gone. I really do believe the whole thing was handled awfully and it's so weird how differently it would've probably gone over here. If you have any interest in mysteries and/or crime documentaries and you haven't already then you should really watch it. Netflix have recently announced new episodes for it so I'm sure it'll become a major talking point once more, too.

I also found a cool new way to help me with my Spanish! I've started using freerice.com and using the Spanish language questions. It's a good way to memorise words and a few short phrases; it's a challenge to myself to reach higher and higher levels, and it's great to be doing good at the same time! Every question I answer donates 10 grains of rice, with some extra being donated for answering a larger number of questions in a sitting. I managed about 2000 today which I'm quite proud about. I'll definitely be using this a lot from now on!

I have some plans all sorted for Sunday and I'll be able to check at least one more thing off my bucket list with it so I'm super excited for that! Enjoy the rest of your night!

Song of the day: I Don't Care - Icona Pop, feat. Charli XCX

Hope everyone had a nice day! :juggle:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hello again TSR!

Twenty five days into the summer bucket list challenge now! I wonder how many days I'll end up having done in total. I'm too tired to work that out right now :tongue:

Today has been a sad day. 'Why?' I hear you ask. Well, my friends, today I finished season 1 of Jane the Virgin. Season 2 isn't up on Netflix yet so I'm gonna have to wait a little before I can find out what happens! Honestly, Jane the Virgin is one of my favourite TV shows at the moment and that's saying something because I can have pretty high standards. I'm desperate to see the next episodes so hopefully I'll be able to get on that very soon!

I have to say as well though, Jane the Virgin has 100% inspired me to up my wardrobe game. I need to go dress and necklace shopping ASAP.

I actually bought a really nice sheer black blouse today so I'm super excited to wear this on a night out sometime! I think it'd look really nice with my high waisted black skinny jeans, a necklace, and some pretty fire makeup. This could end up being the outfit on my bucket list!

I'm also pretty settled on a DIY I want to try! I'm gonna need to get out and buy some clay though! I want to make a little wall hanging of the main phases of the moon. I always see the moon from my bedroom window and I love sitting and admiring it, but since redecorating and getting blinds it's a little more difficult so I'd love to have a nice wall hanging so I can always see it! I'm okay at woodworking, but more delicate things I've never had good results with. I hope it turns out well because I'm super excited to try it and the end result, at least online and from someone else's efforts, looks really good.

Next up, film of the day! I chose Push because it'd been sat in my list on Netflix for ages and I just felt like watching a bit of a thriller. It wasn't bad. While I was watching I looked up some reviews and it didn't do so well critically. It definitely wasn't a perfect film and Dakota Fanning seemed kinda wooden, but it was alright overall. I'd probably watch it again if I was bored and ill and I didn't want to concentrate on something new. It's one of those films, really. That being said, I did enjoy it!

I got myself back on to freerice.com today and practiced my Spanish vocabulary! I managed to donate 4000 grains of rice today, which is more than I did yesterday. It's honestly such a cool way to give to others, and practice something for yourself at the same time. Not to mention, this is a way to do good without me even getting out of bed or getting up off the sofa! It's a winner for me. (I sound so lazy, I'm sorry. I'm not that lazy, just physical activity makes me very very tired and ill so this is a really amazing way for me to get involved without damaging my own health.)

I've spent all day thinking that it's Wednesday and that I had a bit more time to sort myself out for my activities this weekend. Oops. I really need to get my sleeping pattern in check now if I don't want to be a zombie while I'm trying to have fun and learn stuff!

My cat was asleep on the arm of the sofa and just fell off! She just got back up and she looks so confused and sleepy. I'm pretty sure she's the sweetest thing I've ever seen!

Song of the day: Summertime Sadness - Lana Del Ray

Hope everyone had a nice day! :snoozing:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hello again TSR!

Hopefully this will be a short update. I have a killer headache and I'm really really warm so I'm looking forward to getting to bed!

Okay, so I started my day with some TV. I watched the last few episodes of season 7 of House and I'm now into the first few of season 8. I've really enjoyed watching it. I love medical dramas anyway but this one is completely different to the others. It's definitely worth a watch for anyone looking for a new TV show to watch. And remember, it's not lupus!

After a few episodes of House, I moved on to my film of the day. I decided on A.C.O.D because I really liked the cast. Adam Scott and Amy Poehler for starters! Man, I miss Parks and Rec. It was an pretty good film. It's an awkward one, because they put it in the comedy section but it's not one that you'll laugh through either. I think if you go into it looking to laugh and have a giggle, you'll be disappointed. That being said, it is actually quite relatable and when you think about it, not all that unrealistic as has been previously suggested. They really did try and cash in on Jessica Alba's name though by putting it all over the posters and promotional content when she was hardly even in the film.

I'm currently working on making plans with my cousin so we can have a catch up. We get on really well, but we don't get much chance to meet up. We're hoping to get to 'Spoons next week for a drink and some food which will be lovely. Unfortunately the day she is free is a day before I get paid, so here's hoping I still have some money in my bank account!

I ended up having a little treat myself day today! The jeans I have in black and dark blue, and really want in light blue and grey, cost £25 a pair and I hate spending money like that on something that I can get so much cheaper, but they're just so comfy and such great quality! They also look pretty good, so they are my go-to jeans. On Amazon today I found the grey ones for £14 so I ordered a pair pretty much immediately. I'm very very happy, and used my Amazon Prime trial to get free one-day delivery on them too! Absolute bargain. I also treated my mum and I to convention tickets in London. We went to Walker Stalker at the Olympia in March and it was amazing, so we got tickets for next year too. Today we got an email about one called Heroes and Villains that is run by the same people, and after having a quick look at the guests I really wanted to go! We had a sweet deal on tickets, so it ended up costing up £18 each for one day. Stephen Amell, Robin Lord Taylor, Bruce Powell and Brian C. Roll have been announced so far with many more to come. For other dates in other countries they have actors from Guardians of the Galaxy, The Flash, more from Arrow, and so many more. I'm so excited to see who gets announced next. I already can't wait for the panels and the vendors! I'll be at Walker Stalker again in March 2017, and now Heroes and Villains in May 2017!

Also, Friday Night Dinner season 4 started tonight! I've waited so long for this. I don't laugh at many things on TV, even when I find them funny, but there's not been a single episode of Channel 4's Friday Night Dinner that I've not laughed through. I 1005 recommend this to anyone who has access to it because in my opinion, it's one of the funniest shows on TV. I don't want to spoil it at all, so definitely look it up!

I'm really excited for all of my upcoming plans so stay tuned to hear about those!

Song of the day: Boom Clap - Charli XCX

Hope everyone had a nice day! :groovy:

Hello again TSR!

Sorry for posting this day a little late! I ended up falling asleep really early by accident, and I was up and out this morning! (Update on that for day 28).
I actually had a pretty short day, but it was nice for sure. It had cooled down a bit, so I sat outside with my cat. I was throwing pieces of grass at her and she was jumping all over the garden to try and pounce on them. She's not always so playful, but she's adorable when she is. Her eyes go so wide and shiny.

Because I didn't really have any plans, I thought I'd take the time to use a hair mask. My hair isn't in great condition. I used to straighten it every day, and I colour it a lot. Trying to cover those greys! My hair ended up so soft and shiny; I love it. I really need to take more time to do this!

My film of the day was Looper. It was actually such a good film and everyone should watch it once. It's such a clever film, and really original. The cinematography in Looper is honestly really beautiful at parts. If that's something you're into, this is definitely the film for you. The cast is pretty awesome too. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, Bruce Willis and Paul Dano, there's a lot of actors you've probably already seen in something else you liked.

In the evening, I spent some time on Warframe. I helped my friend Cody with a few missions to get a certain resource that he needed, and he helped me to get something I needed. I've been annoyingly into Warframe recently. I bought two games in the Steam sale, Mirror's Edge and AC IV Black Flag, and I haven't even gotten around to installing them yet. Every time I get onto my PC, I hop onto Warframe. I tend to do most other things on my laptop.

Before I fell asleep, I enjoyed a few episodes of House. I've started it a little over a month ago and I'm almost half way through season 8, the final season. I'm actually really gonna miss this show when it's over. It's funny, but serious all at the same time. I'm probably a little biased though. I'm a sucker for a medical drama.

I'm really looking forward to my plans for tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Song of the day: Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers, feat. Daya

Hope everyone had a nice day! :lazy:

Hello again TSR!

I had such a brilliant day today! I went to the 1940s event in Leyburn. I went to this a few years ago, but I don't really remember it. I was pretty unwell at the time, so all I remember is being very breathless, in pain, and overheated :tongue: I'm gonna include a bunch of photos, so apologies in advance for the mess of them! I took them all on my phone, so now they're on my laptop they are HUGE and only fit in sideways. Hopefully I'll figure out how to make this not happen very soon!

It rained a little, but it was still hella warm. I'm very glad I dressed lightly! We drove into Leyburn and we got parked at the perfect time. They were running little shuttle busses from the car parks into the marketplace all day, so not only did we get an easy ride without having to worry about traffic and parking, we also got to ride in a vintage bus! It was pretty bumpy, especially on the cobbles, but it was a pretty cool ride! There was no form of air-con or anything whatsoever, and just tiny little windows we could open, so they had to keep the door at the back open so it didn't get too warm. It was nice to sit by the door at the back and feel the cool air as we passed through the town. Passing by all of the people dressed up and through the decorated town, it was pretty easy to imagine sitting on that bus in the '40s.

Once we got into the marketplace, we had a wander around the stalls. All the stalls selling vintage goods from the '40s was probably my favourite part. I don't know how to explain it, but it genuinely smells different. As soon as you walk towards a table full of old luggage and books, it's like you're breathing different air. I really love that smell. Last time I was there, I got an little old suitcase/briefcase. It has some odd straps inside and I've not been able to figure out what they're for, but I'm determined to. It's such a gorgeous little piece of history and it's so weird to imagine that the case I have in my house used to belong to (probably) a man all those years ago. It's quite worn, especially on the handle and on the inside. I really wonder what it was used for.

I didn't get many photos of the people dressed up because I didn't want to be creepy. I did get a photo of a nice couple though, and some dogs! It's so nice to see so many people really getting into the spirit of it. Even all of the local shops get involved. All of the pubs had sandbags laid out and pretty much the whole marketplace and even a lot of the homes were draped in GB flag bunting. Here's pictures of the couple I mentioned, and the dogs!

There was an insane amount of dogs out today. I wish I could've got photos of every single one I saw, but there were hundreds. The event, even all the indoor bits, was completely dog friendly so everyone seemed to have their dogs out! There were loads of Lhasa Apsos out. They're one of my favourites. There were also quite a few French Bulldogs and loads of Border Collies. Leyburn is quite hill-y, and some of the dogs were quite clearly sick of walking round and their owners were having to near drag or carry them up the hills. It was impossible to go for more than a minute without having to 'aw' and point at a dog.

About an hour before we left, we ran into my Granddad and his girlfriend Beattie. They'd come out to enjoy the event too, so we all sat down and had a drink together before they had to get off to go somewhere else. We'd been saying about 5 minutes earlier about how we thought they must've dropped in at some point, and it turned out they'd dropped in at the same time as us! They're always out somewhere together so it's almost impossible to catch my Granddad at his home so it was a really welcome surprise to see them. Before they left, we walked them back down to the marketplace so they could catch one of the little busses to where their car was parked. There were absolutely loads of vintage and war-time cars parked up. I couldn't get photos of all of them, unfortunately, because they were by roads and cars kept driving in front of my phone whenever I tried to get a photo, but I did get this one!

Before we left, we saw that the arts centre had something going on. We went in and saw loads of displays about 1940s war time in our local area. We read a lot about the soldiers and the barracks, and it was so incredibly interesting. At my second primary school, in Northallerton, they took out all of the iron bars and anything that wasn't vital. This was the same for all nearby buildings. The metal was all recycled and went towards things like weapons and even planes. People were asked to donate their pots and pans and everything. It was so weird to see for myself years ago where all of the iron fencing had been cut down, and finally know the story behind it. Our area took a number of evacuees, although I learned that many did not stay long. A lot returned to where they came from, largely Teesside and Tyneside areas, and never returned despite later bombings up there.I have to say, this time period has always been something that's interested me. I loved history in school because I could learn about it, and I knew of a lot of people that weren't on the curriculum and that even my teachers hadn't heard of, so I was able to teach everyone about those people too. My family on my mum's side, being European Jews/British RAF pilots, have a lot of stories about their experiences too, so this is something I've researched a lot in my own time.

After we left Leyburn, we decided to head to Masham and go to Brymor! Brymor is the best past for ice-cream ever. Seriously. It's all made right there at the farm, and they have a little cafe. Before the ownership changed hands, you used to be able to go and stroke the cows that they had and used. They were a little like giant dogs. They loved attention! I usually order their nutty toffee flavour, but I decided to try something new this time. I ordered the 'black cherry whim wham' and holy crap was it good. The vanilla ice cream in it was perfectly sweet and smooth, and the black cherry was perfectly sharp. 10/10 would buy again.

On the drive home, my mum ended up stopping at every single Pokestop we went by. I got a bunch of eggs which was cool. She's definitely way too into Pokemon Go though. I had to hold her phone while she drove, and watch the map for any Pokestops. When we got close to one, she'd make me get her supplies. We ended up doing 4 full circles of our own marketplace, which is thankfully small, so she could try and catch something cool and then get more Pokeballs, and then catch something, and then go for more Pokeballs etc etc.

It's been a really long day, so I've also just finished my film! I chose Shame. It was an incredibly interesting film and gave some serious insight into sex addiction. It's a real and destructive thing and this film portrays that so so well. Michael Fassbender played the lead incredibly, and Steve McQueen has made a pretty incredible film. If you're into dramas, especially darker ones, then this is a really good film for you.

I'm probably gonna watch a couple of episodes of something on Netflix. Thanks for reading!

Song of the day: Can't Stop This Feeling! - Justin Timberlake

Hope everyone had a nice day! :run:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hey again TSR!

Today I basically just goofed around with my friends, so pretty unproductive. I won't bore you with a super long post!
I started the day finally trying out a game I bought about a month ago: Mirror's Edge. I'm really enjoying it so far! I probably would've stayed and played longer but it was really warm in the room and I was getting restless. I headed downstairs, grabbed a little food, and fussed my cat for a little bit. I quickly got on to my film of the day, which ended up being Flight. Denzel Washington smashed it with Flight. Honestly. I rated this very highly on IMDb, and it's definitely worth a watch. The plane crash scene was, I think, the best I've ever seen. The story was just incredible too. It felt really quite realistic the whole way through.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to confirm my Wednesday plans. Here's hoping they don't fall through! My friend and I have also been planning a night out to a nearby town where a lot of the bars and a couple of clubs all come together on a Monday night and have a 'gay night'. It's supposed to be really good!

I'm settled in bed watching a couple episodes of House. I'm super tired and I've been sleeping really badly recently so I've enjoyed a pretty chill day. I'll probably be firing off a bunch of emails tomorrow, and I also have a lot of paperwork to fill out. Can't wait! (Not.)

Song of the day: Heathens - Twenty One Pilots

Hope everyone had a nice day! :fluffy:

Hey there TSR!

A whole month down now?! It seems like only a couple of days ago that I was at two weeks! Roll on the next month!

Today wasn't all that productive again unfortunately, although I am looking at making some plans! I've been so exhausted these past couple of days and it's horrible. I can make a couple of hours tops of doing something before I feel ready to crawl back into bed for 2 days. I talked to my friend Sean today though and we've started making plans for me to go down and see everyone in/around Scunthorpe and Doncaster! Hopefully we get this done because there's a great restaurant not too far away from them and I really fancy having a big and badass burger with a few of their legendary cocktails. I also have some plans for tomorrow that I'm pretty excited for!

Since buying those convention tickets recently, I haven't been able to stop looking for more places to go and more events to attend! Because the two I'm going to now in 2017 are both in London, I'm trying to find some a little closer to home. London is pretty far from me and it's hassle getting there, so I'm trying to find some cool stuff closer to around Newcastle so it's easier and cheaper for me to get to.

Don't worry, didn't miss my film of the day! A whole month now of at least one film every single day. I like it. I might not be able to one a day outside of the summer, but I'm going to come up with a suitable target of films to have watched throughout the year or something. I like a fun challenge! Anyway, I digress. My film of the day today was Little Nicky. All I can say is wow. I hated it. A lot. The humour wasn't something I found funny in the slightest so it was a pretty awful film for me in all.

Song of the day: Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet

Hope everyone had a nice day! :hare:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r

Hello again TSR!

Sorry for posting this day a little late! I ended up falling asleep really early by accident, and I was up and out this morning! (Update on that for day 28).
I actually had a pretty short day, but it was nice for sure. It had cooled down a bit, so I sat outside with my cat. I was throwing pieces of grass at her and she was jumping all over the garden to try and pounce on them. She's not always so playful, but she's adorable when she is. Her eyes go so wide and shiny.

Because I didn't really have any plans, I thought I'd take the time to use a hair mask. My hair isn't in great condition. I used to straighten it every day, and I colour it a lot. Trying to cover those greys! My hair ended up so soft and shiny; I love it. I really need to take more time to do this!

My film of the day was Looper. It was actually such a good film and everyone should watch it once. It's such a clever film, and really original. The cinematography in Looper is honestly really beautiful at parts. If that's something you're into, this is definitely the film for you. The cast is pretty awesome too. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, Bruce Willis and Paul Dano, there's a lot of actors you've probably already seen in something else you liked.

In the evening, I spent some time on Warframe. I helped my friend Cody with a few missions to get a certain resource that he needed, and he helped me to get something I needed. I've been annoyingly into Warframe recently. I bought two games in the Steam sale, Mirror's Edge and AC IV Black Flag, and I haven't even gotten around to installing them yet. Every time I get onto my PC, I hop onto Warframe. I tend to do most other things on my laptop.

Before I fell asleep, I enjoyed a few episodes of House. I've started it a little over a month ago and I'm almost half way through season 8, the final season. I'm actually really gonna miss this show when it's over. It's funny, but serious all at the same time. I'm probably a little biased though. I'm a sucker for a medical drama.

I'm really looking forward to my plans for tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Song of the day: Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers, feat. Daya

Hope everyone had a nice day! :lazy:

OMG House is the best!! :woo: Hugh Lawrie is such a good actor (I didn't even realise he was British until I saw him in the Night Manager :shock:) And I was very sad when it was over :sad: but luckily they constantly re run it so I just watch the episodes all over again when ever they're on :colondollar:
Original post by LiiHyde
OMG House is the best!! :woo: Hugh Lawrie is such a good actor (I didn't even realise he was British until I saw him in the Night Manager :shock:) And I was very sad when it was over :sad: but luckily they constantly re run it so I just watch the episodes all over again when ever they're on :colondollar:

IKR, he's great! I only found out the other weeks he's a musician too. I keep meaning to listen to some of his stuff!
Really? Wow, I didn't even know that!:woo: *youtubes all things hugh lawrie* :cyber:
Your thread is amazing btw :h:
Original post by LiiHyde
Really? Wow, I didn't even know that!:woo: *youtubes all things hugh lawrie* :cyber:
Your thread is amazing btw :h:

Haha aw thanks. I love the images on yours! Sounds like you're having a great summer!

Hello again TSR!

Day thirty one complete!

I woke up kinda late today and spent the afternoon slowly getting ready for meeting up with my cousin for a meal and a few drinks! I spent a bit too long on my eyebrows, I will admit, but they look pretty good so I'll let myself off. I ticked off another thing off my bucket list today with this! I wore an outfit that made me feel super confident and made me feel good about myself. I wore some brand new grey high waisted skinny jeans with a sheer black blouse and a black cami underneath. I wouldn't usually wear something like this for fear of what my body looked like in it, but I actually felt really good! The sheer fabric of the blouse was perfect for the heat, and it was loose enough so that it felt nice and airy. I really loved the jeans too. Because they're high waisted, they pull everything in a bit, and because they're slim cut they make my legs look at little longer (and trust me when I say I need that!) I ordered grilled chicken burger in a brioche bun with lettuce, onion and halloumi with a side of mac and cheese. It was great. I had a Kopparberg with my meal because I hadn't had one in ages, and later on ended up drinking straight from a pitcher! I had a Godfather cocktail pitcher which was just whiskey, amaretto and pepsi with some lime slices which is my favourite. My cousin had a Sex on the Beach pitcher, and then ordered a glass of Blue Lagoon. When the woman behind the bar poured it, she did the vodka first before anything else. It was almost completely vodka. I ended up drinking it after managing to fit a little bit more lemonade in there and it was pretty nice, but tasted very sugary thanks to the Sourz! I guess that's what you get fro Wetherspoons! We finished the night early because she has work tomorrow, but that was probably for the best! We'd drank quite a bit in a short space of time, and neither of us have really drank in a while so we felt quite tipsy! We'd both had something that didn't sit quite right with us though because we both felt awful when we'd gotten home! I just re-read that paragraph and wow can I really talk about food.

It was really nice meeting up with my cousin. She starting working a lot recently, and she travels away a lot to see her boyfriend. Before she got really busy, I was always travelling away to see my boyfriend! It was really nice to catch up again and I think we have a lot more in common than we used to as well now that she's gotten into gaming and travelling around. We're hoping to get out again next month for a proper booze up which we're looking forward to!

Some of her old friends from college were in Wetherspoons too. I knew of one of them and didn't really like him, but the other two were really nice! They came and sat down, said hello, and talked about college and people we all knew and stuff. One of them tried getting a date with my cousin before she told him she had a boyfriend, but he made a joke and moved on. We sat and chilled with them for a bit until they had to get off, but it was really nice meeting them and I certainly wouldn't mind running into them again!

Anyway, moving on swiftly! When I got in, I watched my film of the day. I decided on Trance basically because James McAvoy is great, and I really like Danny Boyle's work. It was such an intense film. I really liked the mystery of it, and it was a really good thriller. I was guessing the whole way though and I was surprised by the twists again and again. I really want to show it to my mum now because I know she'd really like it, and it'd also give me an excuse to watch it again!

Song of the day: Good For You - Selena Gomez, feat. A$AP Rocky

Hope everyone had a nice day! :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hello again TSR!

Day thirty two down!

Another thing ticked off the bucket list today! I got paid, which means I officially have my £200! Now I just need to not spend it all :tongue:

Actually, two things! It was the first day of a little local festival today! I go pretty much every year. It's like tradition. I didn't go last year though because I couldn't afford it, and I didn't go the year before (even though I bought tickets) because I ended up in hospital on the morning of the first day thanks to hurting my back! Today it was all circus acts and cabaret. My phone battery is shockingly bad so I didn't get many photos, but here's a bellydancer! She was really good and fun to watch, and I had a quick chat with her afterwards and she was so sweet too!

I got in a few hours ago and watched my film for today as well. I chose Precious. I've had my eye on it for over a week, but I just happened to really fancy watching it today. It was a pretty intense film that dealt with a lot of serious issues, but it was also so so good. It's insane to think that this was Gabourey Sidibe's first role. I want to find so many more films like this, because I remember them for years and years. The character of Precious was so memorable. It's weird, because it kind of ends on a high note, but when you think about it it's not a happy ending either. It's more the lesser of two evils for the character. The best outcome, but not a good outcome. The cast in general was amazing. Mariah Carey played a different role to her previous ones, bringing out a much better and more believable performance here, and Paula Patton pulled it out of the bag too. The character of Precious's mum was very interesting. Not likeable in the slightest, but by the end i felt I had something of an understanding of her. It really made me think what I'd do in Precious's position and I came up empty after hours of thinking. I just don't know how I would get on with my life, and that makes me admire her for being so strong and smart.

Looking forward to the second day of this festival tomorrow, and the third on Sunday! Updates incoming!

Song of the day: Cake By The Ocean - DNCE

Hope everyone had a nice day! :macarena:

Hey again TSR!

I spent most of last night at the festival! There were some pretty good acts. I liked the ones earlier on in the day/evening as they were more to my usual taste, however the acts later on were still really good fun. There were a lot of people there that I hadn't seen a over two years, so it was pretty cool seeing them again and catching up.

There was a band called Feed Them to the Forest who were really good. I've found them online, and they're from York, so maybe I'll be able to go to a show sometime!

I'm absolutely exhausted. It's been a really long couple of days with plenty of standing and walking around. When I got in, I settled straight into my film of the day, Tallulah. I've been waiting for it to come out on Netflix since it was announced, and today was the day! I really like Ellen Page and it sounded like a really interesting story so I knew it'd be worth a try and I'm so glad I watched it because it was awesome. The story was gripping and you really had to make the effort to see things from two completely different sides. These Netflix specials are awesome.

I'm back at the festival for Saturday evening/night so I'll be back with an update when I'm home!

Song of the day: Naive - The Kooks

Hope everyone had a nice day! :headbang:

Hey again TSR!

I'm back! It was the last day of the festival, Richmond Live, and it's fair to say I've had a really good weekend! Here's some pictures from the shows in the tent!

There were some really good bands, as usual! I've always really liked Exploding Buddhas. They've played every year for years and years now, and while they're usually on the main stage they got put in the tent this year for some reason. It was a little bit disappointing, but they were still great. They do a lot of covers, but their shows are always full of energy and they're really good at what they do. They occasionally do shows at the pubs in my town so I'm always on the look out just in case!

I started up again with Breaking Bad today. I left it for a while because I was so into House and I was getting into Orphan Black as well, so I was always watching one of those two. I'm near the end of season 3 now, so I'm looking forward to season 4! I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more than when I started it. I keep meaning to bring my external hard drive back downstairs so I can carry one with GoT as well! I'll have to try and remember to start that up again at some point because I was getting into that too!

When I got back I quickly got onto my film of the day: The Grand Budapest Hotel! Oh my god, I love this film an insane amount. Everything is so beautiful about it. The characters are amazing, the sets are beautiful, the cinematography is awe-inspiring and the writing and the direction are just so insanely brilliant. I think this is probably one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. I 100% recommend this to everyone.

Song of the day: Holiday - Green Day

Hope everyone had a nice day! :thrasher:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry for the slow updates! I literally just slept for 20 hours so you can see how my week is going. Updates incoming!

Hey there TSR!

Today was a bit lazy, although I did get out for about 40 minutes to play Pokemon Go! My cat followed me around my estate while I played until my battery died. There was a Squirtle nearby somewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere!

I also started going hardcore on Memrise today. I'm doing pretty well with my Spanish so far, and I also decided to start the Japanese course. Japanese is so much fun to learn! I'm doing really well with learning Hiragana at the moment, and I'll hopefully be moving onto other things pretty soon!

I've started up Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt again. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes a few months ago and I just couldn't get into it. It's not my kind of humour and I think it's over the top in a way I personally don't find funny. That being said, it works well as one of those things I throw on while I'm doing something else.

My film of the day was interesting. I chose Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. I'd watched a little bit of it before but I got distracted so I just turned it off. After that, I just never fancied watching it again. I put it on today and it was actually pretty good. Chris Pine is amazing, but he'll never be as amazing as Matt Damon! (Sorry, I just really love Matt Damon.) The one thing I couldn't shake, though, was the lighting. So often, a character would move into a new space and half of their face would be bright orange. It was really distracting if I'm honest. Other than that though, it was a pretty interesting film.

I was actually really tired today. After being at Richmond Live for three days, I've exhausted myself! Definitely looking forward to getting to bed!

Song of the day: Chandelier - Sia

Hope everyone had a nice day! :heart:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hey there TSR!

I hardly slept at all last night, and I woke up an hour before my 10:30am alarm! I got about 4 hours sleep, so I was feeling pretty terrible to say the least. As much as I wanted to crawl my way back into bed and under the covers, I had an appointment to get to. More importantly, I had lunch to get to after my appointment. My appointment was pretty short so me and my mum headed straight off to Darlington to this Chinese buffet that we like. We haven't been in absolutely ages so we figured we'd get out and treat ourselves. They do the best chicken chow mein, really nice special fried rice, and awesome hoisin duck. They have the best strawberry ice cream too, and jelly! Basically, I love food. What else is new?

After we'd eaten, we headed home. We ended up spending ages driving around so I could catch Pokemon on both of our phones, and hit a bunch of Pokestops. We did it in Darlington, and in our home town. I caught some new ones so I was pretty happy. I managed to evolve one of my Eevees today into a Jolteon so that was good!

I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to stay awake when I got in, so I quickly got on with my film of the day. I chose Fox and the Hound because I knew it was a classic, it was pretty short, and I'd only never watched it because I'm honestly not all that into Disney films. Anyway, I loved it. It was so emotional. So very emotional. I think I actually cried at one point. It might be 35 years old but it's still such a brilliant film (and did I mention really really emotional?)

Anyway, time for bed! Yep, bed at 5:30pm. This is my life now. See you for tomorrow's update!

Song of the day: Desire - Years and Years

Hope everyone had a nice day! :snoozing:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hey there TSR!

I really must have been tired yesterday because I slept for 20 hours. Yep, twenty. Is that even possible? Maybe I was in a coma. That would explain why I'm s t i l l tired and can hardly stay keep my eyes open. It certainly feels like it!

Anyway, moving on. Considering I slept into the day, I ended up just hanging out at home. I chilled upstairs in my mum's room for about an hour with her bird while I debated going back to bed or trying to do something with my day. I decided to have a go at staying awake at least, and to get my film of the day in. I slowly moved all my stuff downstairs, got a small lunch, and settled down with my film for a couple of hours. I chose Jack Reacher. Netflix suggested it to me because I watched Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit the other day and liked it. It wasn't a great suggestion. I just couldn't get into the film at all. It felt like I was only watching Tom Cruise because he was in the Mission Impossible films, and it just wasn't an interesting film. I didn't have to think my way through it, and it wasn't the kind of easy-watch that you feel the need to watch over and over when you don't fancy having to concentrate too hard. It was just a bit dry and slow for me. I might try it again in time and see if I feel differently about it, but I don't think that'll be any time soon.

I got on a bit with my Japanese and Spanish today, and also started a Memrise course so I could brush up on all my film terminology! I've really missed learning. After having to take this last year out of education, I'm so eager to keep learning new things and new skills and to get back into education. Yeah, sometimes I don't like the people and it's really difficult for me to keep to a schedule like that but I really love being in education. Learning makes me happy. Achieving makes me happy. I plan on contacting the college I've applied to soon and demanding answers, because I applied to study there 3 months ago and I was supposed to have an interview date within days of that, and I've contacted them endlessly and they just don't have any answers. I don't want to end up not getting on the course because they've run out of spaces or something because I was messed around for months!

Anyway, I think it's about time I head to bed and enter my second coma of the week. I'm still so tired! I'm looking forward to jumping back into bed under those nice cosy covers. It sounds like heaven to me right now. Goodnight everyone! Until tomorrow!

Song of the day: Love Song - Sara Bareilles

Hope everyone had a nice day! :turtle:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hello again TSR!

I remembered today that I started an Amazon Prime trial and I still have a bit of time left on it so I ended up having a bit of a movie day! I started with Carol, which was actually really good, although I can't help but feel it didn't quite live up to my expectations. The costumes were so so beautiful though, and I really loved Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara.

After Carol, I watched The Imitation Game. I'm not a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch and a lot of the hype around the film on social media was about him, so I wasn't so sure if I'd enjoy it. I was totally wrong to doubt this film in any way, shape, or form. It was brilliant. The story was outstandingly realistic and portrayed tastefully. Even biopics move away from reality but this felt so real. At numerous points my jaw dropped, and I cried twice. The Imitation Game was genuinely amazing and I implore you all to watch it.

I practiced writing some hiragana characters today. I want to start memorising how to write them onto paper, without using an app to help me. I'm getting on with my Spanish too! I'm learning a lot of new vocabulary that I didn't know before. I think I could semi-confidently order food from a restaurant or something now which is good. Memrise is honestly such a great and handy app. I love it.

I was going to watch another film, but honestly I'm exhausted! I can't stop yawning. I've yawned so much in the past half an hour that my throat and jaw are both hurting and my eyes won't stop watering. I might have to go and find my cat too. I can hear her tinkering about somewhere, but I can't find her. I think she might be under the stairs again. She seems to be nesting a bit. I really hope she's not having another phantom pregnancy! It's so sad when that happens. If I find her, I'll probably let her sleep in my room tonight. I'm a sucker for that cute face.

Song of the day: Elastic Heart - Sia, feat. The Weeknd, Diplo

Hope everyone had a nice day! :wavey:

Quick Reply

Latest