The Student Room Group
It's not a good idea while you are on antibiotics, it could mean your drugs will be less effective.
Reply 2
Alcohol and antibiotics never go well together. Not so sure on the specifics of problems associated with penicillin and beer. Its only 3 days to go and you've already done 7, just hold out for a bit more. You'll be drinking by Saturday!
OK, I just had tonsilitus, (sorry for spelling), in bed for a week at uni, as it was a bactierial infection i was given antibiotics, penecillin to be exact.

I'm still on them, and this is few side affects I have found (it was my birthday on sunday so I kinda had to :P).

You get drunk a lot more quickly, it affects your system so if you do drink be careful.
Alcohol can dehydrate you very quickly, this I assume can affect recovery rate, keep fluids up. A pint or two of water before bed, and one there for the night and morning after.

The general advice is to rest, you have been given these for a reason, rest and relaxation is the best thing, your ill, antibiotics tend to work quickly, but they aren't a miracle cure, you have to rest more to help them work.
Reply 4
bishman
OK, I just had tonsilitus, (sorry for spelling), in bed for a week at uni, as it was a bactierial infection i was given antibiotics, penecillin to be exact.

I had exactly the same as you then. I couldn't physically eat anything for 36 hours. :frown:

I've decided to take the plunge and am now happily sitting here with a coldy. :smile:
Apparently there is no conclusive evidence that would indicate a problem with drinking whilst taking penicillin. - i did other research too :smile:

thankya
Reply 5
HagerVor
I had exactly the same as you then. I couldn't physically eat anything for 36 hours. :frown:

I've decided to take the plunge and am now happily sitting here with a coldy. :smile:
Apparently there is no conclusive evidence that would indicate a problem with drinking whilst taking penicillin. - i did other research too :smile:

thankya

You mean, 'proof'?
Still, be careful, just because theres no 'evidence' doesnt mean it cant affect you somehow, make sure you do stay hydrated etc.

I don't advise it, but I'm a hypocrite lol, just watch it, hope you feel well soon.
Reply 7
No doesn't matter at all, bit of an old myth, only one type of drug and that's not the one.
Reply 8
HagerVor
Right. I am currently on a course on penicillin, I am taking 4 x 250mg tablets per day. There are 3 days left of my 10 day course.

Am I allowed a beer? Will that mess up the penicillin?

I have had booze with antibiotics (amoxicillin and ciprofloxacin) with no side effects! Its a misconception involving the induction of enzymes (CYP450 group).
Reply 9
i had to take penacillin before i went on a lads holiday and whilst i was there, so before I went I asked the doctor and he said its fine with penacillin

i wouldnt recomend it with other antibiotics tho
danesh
I have had booze with antibiotics (amoxicillin and ciprofloxacin) with no side effects! Its a misconception involving the induction of enzymes (CYP450 group).

It is a misconception that all antibiotics will be safe with alcohol. With Metronidazole there can be quite severe interaction effects like breathlessness and increased heart rate.

NHS Direct mentions alcohol might worsen some other antibiotic side effects but in general although it's probably sensible to avoid it, in moderation it shouldn't harm you. Checking with your pharmacist of GP is probably the best thing to do though.
Reply 11
Why is it so difficult to respect your health and your body for just a small period time until you get better? After than you could drink again, it's not as if you're on it forever.

You shouldn't mix alcohol with your drugs.

xx
O
/
Reply 12
I've been on Penicillin (and painkillers) pretty long term and have drank significant amounts quite a few times and it makes absolutely no difference, dont worry about it. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending