The Student Room Group

Should obese people receive disability benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox

Whats your reasoning for my thin friends who do nothing and eat like pizzas every day? if not pizzas, crisps, chocolate, as well as smoking and drinking alcohol.

You are the sort that loves to take stereotypes and half truths and then act like its the only answer, people who do that are the ones who have a sad life and need something to make themselves feel better.

They don't eat over their TDEE every single day. It's simple thermodynamics.
fat ****ers who made themselves fat through binge eating dont deserve **** however those with an illness do. giving benefits to everyone classified as obese makes those that are obese and able to work not work
Original post by King_ajk
fat ****ers who made themselves fat through binge eating dont deserve **** however those with an illness do. giving benefits to everyone classified as obese makes those that are obese and able to work not work

Consider something for a moment.

Assume someone's TDEE is 2000. It's the average.

They eat an extra apple a day, at around 100 calories.

That's an extra 36500 calories a year. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories. They'd put on nearly 10.5 pounds a year by only eating an apple over their TDEE a day. After a few years, this adds up (assuming their intake changes to reflect their changing TDEE).

What we need is education rather than shaming.
oh **** off people like you are the reason we are an obese nation making it seem like being fat is okay for your health
oh **** off people like you are the reason we are an obese nation making it seem like being fat is okay for your health

Being obese causes a plethora of health conditions. It's not good for you or the country to be obese. But not everyone who is obese knows why they're obese, as I pointed out in my example. If they don't understand what's making them obese, how do you expect them to be able to change?
if your a guy with tits you are obese. just look at your stomach, if there are 4 rolls your obese
if your a guy with tits you are obese. just look at your stomach, if there are 4 rolls your obese

Are you being difficult deliberately?

Try reading what I said again. I'll spell it out for you: people may know they're obese, but not why, as they may not realise how much they are eating (as per my example). Education will fix this, but it needs to be made more of a priority.
If they are actively working to prevent it/treat it (or it is non-preventable) then yes. If not no. Should be the same as JSA - only if you're actually looking for a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mactotaur
Are you being difficult deliberately?

Try reading what I said again. I'll spell it out for you: people may know they're obese, but not why, as they may not realise how much they are eating (as per my example). Education will fix this, but it needs to be made more of a priority.

Of course he is.

I liked your Apple post and it explains the education argument well.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered mental health though, no one wants to be obese most people reach that stage through their behaviour towards food by way of self medication though, similar to drinking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Of course he is.

I liked your Apple post and it explains the education argument well.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered mental health though, no one wants to be obese most people reach that stage through their behaviour towards food by way of self medication though, similar to drinking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mental health's absolutely a factor - I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but shaming people can cause them to simply double down on their comfort eating. It's why fat shaming is useless in combating the obesity crisis.
Generally, no, being too lazy to go out and get a bit of exercise because you're too busy sat at home stuffing your face with ready meals and chocolate while watching Jeremy Kyle is not a disability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends, there are many causes of obesity so it is unfair to put all obese people into one catergory. But for those who are morbidly obese as a result of eating too much junk food(excluding those who have eating disorders) and a lack of exercise should be provided support only if they are willing to reduce weight. If they don't put any input themselves to reduce weight then disability benefits should be discontinued but this does mean they shoud be neglected.
(edited 7 years ago)

I know trolling but I had moobs all my life, used to get teased about them even had them when I was underweight, now I am fat they actually look smaller.

I also have a solid stomach to the point people think I am thinner than I am as I don't look like a fat stereotype i.e I have a single chin.

They don't eat over their TDEE every single day. It's simple thermodynamics.

True but the point being is theres an assumption that fat people are overeating in vast quantities every day when it could be the case they are eating very little but things packed with calories. or things like salt and fat.

It takes eating bad things in smallish doses that happen to be very bad for you a few times a week even if you eat nothing else that day.

I actually lost weight the most cutting out sugary drinks for diet and little to no change in my food intake bar the fact I eat less things in bulk i.e a takeaway meal deal I used to make me last 2 days (with no other food those 2 days) instead I buy something that is more filling and cheaper (could be worse for me)

Not that I eat takeaways every day but I go through phases like if I have a guest round I prefer to share a takeaway with them and if they stay for 3 days it will be takeaways 2 out of 3 of those days.

If I am staying over at a friends house its the same.

So a week when I am at college I may not eat takeaways or just have one at weekend.
Original post by drbluebox

True but the point being is theres an assumption that fat people are overeating in vast quantities every day when it could be the case they are eating very little but things packed with calories. or things like salt and fat.

I take it you didn't read my post here?
I take it you didn't read my post here?

I did but you just mentioned an apple a day over daily allowance, I went into more detail like saying someone who has eating nothing all day could overeat by eating next to nothing its what they eat that is the problem.

Or someone can yo yo depending on mood, or how busy they are, they don't have to have mental health problems in the common sense just some people deal with things different.

I know a few (not that many) people who are hugely underweight as they work such long hours they don't find time to eat.

I know far more people who grab a take out (I say take out as I see takeaway as fast food) on way home rather than cook but limited selection and price means its far more likely its junk.

Point I was getting to there was that you can also get someone who undereats for days, overeats for days and rarely eats a normal diet (like me) so it ends up just weight piling on, in terms of what I personally eat over 7 days it may still be more than my daily allowance but not to the level of piling on the weight.

Though me personally it is around 1 stone a year I gain.

Original post by Tsar101
It depends, there are many causes of obesity so it is unfair to put all obese people into one catergory. But for those who are morbidly obese as a result of eating too much junk food(excluding those who have eating disorders) and a lack of exercise should be provided support only if they are willing to reduce weight. If they don't put any input themselves to reduce weight then disability benefits should be discontinued but this does mean they shoud be neglected.

Depends on what you see as an eating disorder, many people make the argument its all about lack of willpower than a eating disorder.

Also depends on what people see as mental health, is self esteem a mental health issue?

Almost if not everyone has some form of addiction in their personality its just some have far more health benefits than others.
I am overweight. I eat fruits and vegetables. I have been exercising for eight years. I like hiking but i am limited to staying around the house to care for a disabled family member that takes round the clock care. I also worked 40 hrs a week. I went to school and attained a BS degree. While I am eating vegetables and fruit I see a lot of skinny people eating cheeseburgers and french fries every day. I see them eat more than me. I have seen bony people do the same. I din't gain my weight till I had two back to back pregnancies and put up with an abusive boyfriend for years. Since then and for years I have been trying to get back to where I was. I suffered some bullying at work and my health declined. Now I have a list of medical conditions and it is so hard to have the energy anymore to do basic activities. I am diabetic now, circulation problems, back problems. vitamin d and b deficiency, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure. When you are 40 and have diabetes it becomes almost impossible to lose weight especially when drugs are not helping with the diabetes. Before the job I might have been fat but my weight had been declining but I never had to go to the doctor and felt good and energetic. I had no problems and had quite a bit of muscle too. The stress is what did me in. I worked so hard and now my life is hopeless. There is nothing left to do but give up. So many people do not understand how easy it is when you are under stress to gain it. It might be easy to maintain your weight but once it is there it is so hard to lose it. And then everybody judges you without understanding the condition. Sure there are some gluttons out there who eat all day but not every fat person does that. My diet isn't perfect but I do eat fruits and veggies when I can and the only think I eat that is really bad is french fries. I don't like candy or chocolate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 56
Old thread, but yes.
In general, of course not. Otherwise anyone can just get really fat on purpose (or not bother losing weight if they already are) and boom, money in their pocket for no reason. And anyway they're not 'disabled'.
Don't kid yourself, you don't get to be morbidly obese because of bad metabolism or any other medical condition. You can't gain excessive weight without excessively eating. If your body retains more food than normal then you accommodate for your bad metabolism and eat less. You won't starve because your body is retaining food more than it can lose. Disability should be strictly reserved for the elderly, veterans wounded in war, blind, deaf, and those who are critically injured like paraplegics and quadraplegics. If the morbidly obese collect disability, then the government should also openly support drug addicts as well, it's the same damn thing. I've known many obese people that work their asses off every single day, and also many more people with mental disabilities that work even harder. It IS laziness, and the American people shouldn't have to pay for YOUR addiction. I'm sick of everyone treating obesity like a medical condition you have no control over, or an epidemic like AIDS or cancer. They do it to themselves, I know losing weight is hard and kicking an addiction is even harder, I know because I've been the latter, but I've never ONCE relied on any government or even family aid because that was my cross to bear, no one else's. I only feel empathy for those who truly have no control over their injuries or illnesses. So salad is your favorite food, good for you, but obviously if youre obese you are taking in more carbs and calories than your body can expel, and you are neither exercising enough nor controlling your eating enough for your body to compensate the gain.
Original post by mr. meeseeks
Don't kid yourself, you don't get to be morbidly obese because of bad metabolism or any other medical condition. You can't gain excessive weight without excessively eating. If your body retains more food than normal then you accommodate for your bad metabolism and eat less. You won't starve because your body is retaining food more than it can lose. Disability should be strictly reserved for the elderly, veterans wounded in war, blind, deaf, and those who are critically injured like paraplegics and quadraplegics. If the morbidly obese collect disability, then the government should also openly support drug addicts as well, it's the same damn thing. I've known many obese people that work their asses off every single day, and also many more people with mental disabilities that work even harder. It IS laziness, and the American people shouldn't have to pay for YOUR addiction. I'm sick of everyone treating obesity like a medical condition you have no control over, or an epidemic like AIDS or cancer. They do it to themselves, I know losing weight is hard and kicking an addiction is even harder, I know because I've been the latter, but I've never ONCE relied on any government or even family aid because that was my cross to bear, no one else's. I only feel empathy for those who truly have no control over their injuries or illnesses. So salad is your favorite food, good for you, but obviously if youre obese you are taking in more carbs and calories than your body can expel, and you are neither exercising enough nor controlling your eating enough for your body to compensate the gain.

Ok firstly the brain tells the body what to do and that can counter all your points.

Secondly the American people? Mate this is the uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending