The Student Room Group

The Anime Society Thread 6

Scroll to see replies

Nice to see a shoutout to a local village in Teekyuu S8. :p: I've heard worse pronunciation attempts.

In other Autumn season news, Flip Flappers remains my favourite of the new shows so far, with an equally mad and enjoyable second episode... nothing along the lines of Durarara!! or Re:Zero from earlier in the year that has me super excited, though (aside from Ajin S2, which lacks reliable subs :frown:). Early days, I guess. :dontknow:

(edited 7 years ago)
Animation studio J.C Staff just turned 30, and released a commemorative video recapping all their works to date, which may be of interest.

[video="youtube;dfRqgX3SqDc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfRqgX3SqDc[/video]

There are some brilliant series in there... as well as one or two I'd rather forget. :p:
I have literally no idea what to do in my life waiting for each Haikyuu episode to release. It makes me realise how mundane life really is :cry: :cry: :cry:
There's another anime project on Kickstarter, so naturally I've backed it. It's already fully funded, but here's the link for anyone else who's interested. :smile:
Imagine having this in the halls at uni.

Untitled.png
Anyone watching Hibike! Euphonium season 2? Or has anyone watched Hibike! Euphonium season 1? The animation and plot is gorgeous.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Anyone watching Hibike! Euphonium season 2? Or has anyone watched Hibike! Euphonium season 1? The animation and plot is gorgeous.

Yes. :biggrin: Kyoto Animation really delivers when it comes to the animation, and it's nice having a more serious/realistic high school club anime for once.
Reply 1388
I'm still alive, just about. Will post my thoughts on what I'm watching later today. For now, I absolutely love this OP:

And the anime ain't bad either. :yes:
I realize I forgot to post the link here, but I posted an Anime Opening Theme quiz in Forum Games a few days ago. It's difficult, I only scored 30 out of 82. :zomg: Feel free to try and beat that~

Original post by Aiko
I'm still alive, just about. Will post my thoughts on what I'm watching later today. For now, I absolutely love this OP:

And the anime ain't bad either. :yes:

Aiko! :biggrin: Always nice to see you post here, and to hear what you're watching. :yes:

The Drifters OP is probably my favourite this season, and the series is up there in my top five... shame the animation couldn't be a bit better though.
Reply 1390
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I realize I forgot to post the link here, but I posted an Anime Opening Theme quiz in Forum Games a few days ago. It's difficult, I only scored 30 out of 82. :zomg: Feel free to try and beat that~

Thanks for sharing, it's been a while since I've attempted an anime quiz. Indeed, it's definitely difficult. Like with any quiz, it's unbelievably annoying when you recognise something, but can't pinpoint it exactly, especially in this case with the added pressure of typing what comes to mind straightaway due to the time constraints. In any case, I'm happy with how I did. A few of them are some of my favourite openings and a few of them I should have gotten. :redface:

Spoiler

Aiko! :biggrin: Always nice to see you post here, and to hear what you're watching. :yes:

Thanks AJ, I'm aiming to share my thoughts later today once the little one has gone to sleep. :tongue:

The Drifters OP is probably my favourite this season, and the series is up there in my top five... shame the animation couldn't be a bit better though.
Yeah, easily my favourite OP, largely because of the song itself, but the supporting animation sequence is pretty original and stylish as well. I'll leave my thoughts for my next post, but I'll just say that after the second episode, Drifters is definitely up there for me this season. :yes:
Reply 1391
So, my thoughts on what I'm watching:

Yuri!!! on Ice

After watching the PV for this and noting that Yamamoto Sayo is the director, I was intrigued as to how this anime would fare. Ice skating is something new when it comes to anime (ignoring Death Parade) and so far it's turning out to be rather promising. The first episode was excellent, arguably the strongest of the season. It's difficult to say how things will transpire from this point onwards, but as it stands, it's definitely one of the better showings of the season.

Sound! Euphonium 2

KyoAni has built up a formidable reputation over the years and rightfully so, but if I'm honest, I was starting to tire somewhat of their style, even though their offerings were far from bad. That is, until Sound! Euphonium came along. The first season was very good, both from a production standpoint (as you'd expect) and in terms of character development, so I'm glad the second season has continued with very much the same. Unlike Yuri!!! on Ice where I'm still undecided how things will end up, I'm more confident that KyoAni will continue to offer what was so great with the first season.

Ajiin 2

Like with Sound! Euphonium, Ajin kicks off again and I've enjoyed the first few episodes. I know a lot of people have been put off by Polygon's CGI and I'll admit that it worked better in Sidonia no Kishi than it does here, but what it lacks in that regard it more than makes up in its well crafted plot. The first season was one of the few I genuinely anticipated watching the next episode of, so I'm hoping it'll be the same this time around. So far, that seems to be the case.

Izetta: The Last Witch

I wasn't too sure to make of this one, given that I'm not that familiar with the studio Ajiadou or the staff behind it, but after watching the PV and the last few episodes, I'm enjoying it a lot. The opening episode set the foundations extremely well, and the second more than satisfied my penchant for overpowered main characters. What's encouraging is that the battle sequences are handled particularly well, so I'm excited to see what's to come.

Drifters

In a similar vein to Izetta, although I was aware of Hoods Entertainment, they haven't produced a lot of anime, so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, it was encouraging to see Nakamura Yuuichi voice the main character. Needless to say, after watching the PV and especially episode two, this anime is definitely ticking all of the boxes. The animation is incredibly stylish and fluid, and the plot, while simple, has only touched upon the surface, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next. Oh, and that opening song I posted above is awesome. It's not often I go back and watch an opening once I've seen it, but I've done it multiple times with this one.

March Comes in like a Lion

I'm a big fan of Shaft and Shinbou Akiyuki and I'm aware that the manga is by the critically acclaimed mangaka Umino Chika of Honey and Clover fame, so I was looking forward to this one. So far, it's proving to be one of the better offerings of the season. It's a lot slower paced than most of the stuff I'm watching, but that's part of the appeal. It's also refreshing to watch an anime that's based around a competitive activity in shougi, and yet, it focuses more on introspection of the main character as he comes to terms with the present and his future. Definitely one I'm keeping on.

Poco's Udon World

Poco's Udon World is another slice of life anime that is doing things pretty well at the moment. Not much else to say other than the fact that I'm sure a lot of people can relate with the main character, and Poco is very cute. In a weird sort of way, I'm enjoying the dynamic between the two characters more because of my two-year-old daughter. Keeping this one on for sure.

Anyway, although I'm watching more this season, I'm already tiring, so I'll stop here. This post is long enough already, anyway. :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
So, my thoughts on what I'm watching:

Yuri!!! on Ice

After watching the PV for this and noting that Yamamoto Sayo is the director, I was intrigued as to how this anime would fare. Ice skating is something new when it comes to anime (ignoring Death Parade)...

And Ginban Kaleidoscope. And the Pretty Rhythm franchise. :flute:

Original post by Aiko
...and so far it's turning out to be rather promising. The first episode was excellent, arguably the strongest of the season. It's difficult to say how things will transpire from this point onwards, but as it stands, it's definitely one of the better showings of the season.

For some reason, despite the fact the first episode had a lot going for it (great animation and music, amusing characters etc), it didn't win me over. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it felt like something was missing. Whatever the issue was though, it didn't affect the second episode, which I thought was amazing. :biggrin:

Original post by Aiko
Sound! Euphonium 2

KyoAni has built up a formidable reputation over the years and rightfully so, but if I'm honest, I was starting to tire somewhat of their style, even though their offerings were far from bad. That is, until Sound! Euphonium came along. The first season was very good, both from a production standpoint (as you'd expect) and in terms of character development, so I'm glad the second season has continued with very much the same. Unlike Yuri!!! on Ice where I'm still undecided how things will end up, I'm more confident that KyoAni will continue to offer what was so great with the first season.

:ditto:

Original post by Aiko
Ajiin 2

Like with Sound! Euphonium, Ajin kicks off again and I've enjoyed the first few episodes. I know a lot of people have been put off by Polygon's CGI and I'll admit that it worked better in Sidonia no Kishi than it does here, but what it lacks in that regard it more than makes up in its well crafted plot. The first season was one of the few I genuinely anticipated watching the next episode of, so I'm hoping it'll be the same this time around. So far, that seems to be the case.

This series would be topping my weekly rankings by a long shot, if it weren't for the lack of reliable, timely subs. Seems likely that will always be the case with Polygon shows, as long as Netflix keep snapping them up and refusing to offer simulcasts...

Original post by Aiko
Izetta: The Last Witch

I wasn't too sure to make of this one, given that I'm not that familiar with the studio Ajiadou or the staff behind it, but after watching the PV and the last few episodes, I'm enjoying it a lot. The opening episode set the foundations extremely well, and the second more than satisfied my penchant for overpowered main characters. What's encouraging is that the battle sequences are handled particularly well, so I'm excited to see what's to come.

That 3rd episode. :coma:

Ajia-do have been around forever, but mostly producing OVAs (I enjoyed Spirit of Wonder and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou; Dark Myth, not so much :p:)

Original post by Aiko
Drifters

In a similar vein to Izetta, although I was aware of Hoods Entertainment, they haven't produced a lot of anime, so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, it was encouraging to see Nakamura Yuuichi voice the main character. Needless to say, after watching the PV and especially episode two, this anime is definitely ticking all of the boxes. The animation is incredibly stylish and fluid, and the plot, while simple, has only touched upon the surface, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next. Oh, and that opening song I posted above is awesome. It's not often I go back to watch an opening once I've seen it once, and I've done it multiple times with this one.

Interesting, I found the animation good enough when it needed to be, but a bit shaky in other places. Then again, not everything can look as nice as ufotable and Production I.G's works. Definitely has the style to make up for its shortcomings though. :yes:

Original post by Aiko
March Comes in like a Lion

I'm a big fan of Shaft and Shinbou Akiyuki and I'm aware that the manga is by the critically acclaimed mangaka Umino Chika of Honey and Clover fame, so I was looking forward to this one. So far, it's proving to be one of the better offerings of the season. It's a lot slower paced than a lot of the stuff I'm watching, but that's part of the appeal. It's also refreshing to watch an anime that's based around a competitive activity in shougi, and yet, it focuses more on introspection of the main character as he comes to terms with the present and his future. Definitely one I'm keeping on.

I don't seem to have the patience for slice of life series that I once had, a downside of my blog's weekly rankings perhaps, as it's hard to rate a show where little happens on the same level as Drifters or Izetta. Still, I'm also a fan of the director, and it does seem to be well written. I like the cats as well. :p:

Original post by Aiko
Poco's Udon World

In a similar vein to March Comes in like a Lion, Poco's Udon World is another slice of life anime that is doing things pretty well at the moment. Not much else to say other than the fact that I'm sure a lot of people can relate with the main character, and Poco himself is very cute. In a weird sort of way, I'm enjoying the dynamic between the two characters more because of my two-year-old daughter. Keeping this one on for sure.

By far the cutest thing I've watched in a long time. :love:
My favourite ED theme of the new season:

[video="youtube;mGKjPD_BNAE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKjPD_BNAE[/video]
x

Hey! As you are watching lots of animes and surely listening to lots of soundtracks, you surely know the composer Yuki Kajiura. The name of her is well known to you, isn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Hey! As you are watching and lots of animes and surely listening to lots of soundtracks, you surely know the composer Yuki Kajiura. The name of her is well known to you, isn't it?

She's my favourite composer. :biggrin: I own the soundtrack CDs for Le Portrait de Petit Cosette

and .hack//SIGN

but my favourite soundtrack of hers are probably the ones for Madlax. :yes:

Season seems pretty bad in general so far, I have high hopes for Occultic Nine but that's not been great either,
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Season seems pretty bad in general so far, I have high hopes for Occultic Nine but that's not been great either,

I've found the overall quality quite high, personally, but the season definitely lacks a single standout series. I was also disappointed with the first episode of Occultic;Nine, and didn't pick it up, though I've heard the second is supposedly better?
I've found the overall quality quite high, personally, but the season definitely lacks a single standout series. I was also disappointed with the first episode of Occultic;Nine, and didn't pick it up, though I've heard the second is supposedly better?

It's better than the first but I've not found it too enjoyable, a lot of it being pretty generic. Guess you can't really judge any anime 2 eps in though so I'll give a chance.
I don't think I have posted anything here before.
I'm currently watching Yuri!!! on Ice and Haikyuu!! (lol the increase in ! from Free! to Keijo!!!!!!!!) and I'm loving it but the week-long wait for each episode is killing me. I'm more of a binge-watcher. Victor is so elegant and beautiful, i criiii. I'm also (finally) watching Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou and it's ****ing hilarious. you guys should watch it if you like Gintama and that kind of comedy. The seiyuu of Gintoki is in it too.
This is random but does anyone else love Naruto OP16 (aka Silhouette by KANA BOON) as much as I do??? My expression might look like I'm listening to heavy metal sometimes but this is actually just what I'm listening to haha. It's just my face T_T
[video="youtube;cXeb9cb6k0I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeb9cb6k0I[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest