The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
miki_da_magpie
I still fail to see how that's a good thing... most working class adults I see at my local pub (I am not saying they are all like this or even the majority, but they were there and were working class) get absolute smashed off their faces, threaten the pub owner, break things, and then pass out. So reducing the price of pints helps promote this behaviour... I recon Hull has the majority of votes here :rolleyes:

And what do you do? Sit in the corner sipping your gin and tonic? What a stupid generalisation.
Journalistix
And what do you do? Sit in the corner sipping your gin and tonic? What a stupid generalisation.

cheap booze attracts the wrong type of crowd... and is there in the first place because of the cash profits on offer.... so i still don't see how this is a good thing....

if i did i'd go and live in Benidorm i spose...
Journalistix

The information in () was supposed to show you that I wasnt trying to generalise, obviously you failed to see that, its alrite. I just fail to see how cheeper drinks could make a place better? Just like I fail to see how the 24 hour drinking allowance helps? Surely its just easier for people to binge drink and behave antisocially?

Btw, divvn liek gin and tonic im more of a VRB guy :biggrin:
Reply 83
miki_da_magpie
...get absolute smashed off their faces, threaten the pub owner, break things, and then pass out. So reducing the price of pints helps promote this behaviour... I recon Hull has the majority of votes here :rolleyes:

Hull has the most votes from people who have never been there :rolleyes:

Compare the number of drunk and violent behaviour Hull has per 100,000 people to any other large city, Newcastle, London, B'ham whatever and you will see there is very little drunken crime.

Personally my votes would go for the outskirts of London (not the centre I love that,) Glasgow (grey and yuck) or Oxford (nice uni but **** place.) Oppinions based on PERSONAL EXPERIANCE from a range of places I have been.
Reply 84
Lloydy
Hull has the most votes from people who have never been there :rolleyes:

I guess its hard to shake off a bad reputation :rolleyes:
mc_hamster
From Channel 4's 'Best & Worst Places to Live in the UK'.

Top 10 Worst
1 - Hull
2 - Nottingham
3 - Strabane
4 - Hackney, London
5 - Middlesbrough
6 - Mansfield
7 - Blaenau Gwent, S Wales
8 - Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
9 - Salford, Gtr Manchester
10 - Easington, County Durham

Top 10 Best
1 - Epsom and Ewell
2 - City of Westminster
3 - Harrogate
4 - Ashford, Kent
5 - Stratford Upon Avon
6 - East Hertfordshire
7 - South Cambridgeshire
8 - Mole Valley
9 - Guildford
10 - West Oxfordshire

whats wrong with salford?
Tomber
I went to Oldham once. I never want to go back.

Oldham isn't THAT bad! I live in Middleton (Rochdale borough) which isn't far off from there and while it is pretty grim looking and infested with chavs, the nightlife is relatively decent for a town and race relations have improved tremendously over the past few years.

I'm not surprised that Manchester is now on the top 10 worst list on the C4 website. The deterioration of the council estates and boroughs that make up the outskirts of the city centre is depressing to witness. There are many "no go" areas in Manchester. Those who only go to Manchester for a bit of shopping probably don't notice just how bad the place really is.
guccilittlepiggy
whats wrong with salford?

What's right with it?

Salford University has an extremely poor population but can survive financially due to the high number of locals from around Greater Manchester who, probably after many years of poor education in some of the worse schools in the country, don't mind getting a sub-par degree.

The crime rate is high, teenage pregnancy is an epidemic problem, and everything is grey and dull.

That's a pretty bleak picture I've painted, from my own personal experience, but I'm sure, like everywhere, there is SOME good in Salford. I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to visit the place anytime soon. Moss Side, Moston, Harpurhey, Langley et al are also best avoided. In fact, Greater Manchester is just a dump in general.
you sound like a right snob
guccilittlepiggy
you sound like a right snob

A snob coming from a working class family, living on a ****ty council estate, who attended the worse school (in terms of league tables) in my borough, and is currently studying at a poor FE college. Yes, if that's your definition of a snob, you're right, I am one.

I'm not a snob, I just can't wait to go to University so I can escape the dreary setting I've lived in all my life. Wanting something better out of life doesn't make you a snob.
Reply 90
^good for you!
Reply 91
mc_hamster
From Channel 4's 'Best & Worst Places to Live in the UK'.

Top 10 Worst
1 - Hull
2 - Nottingham
3 - Strabane
4 - Hackney, London
5 - Middlesbrough
6 - Mansfield
7 - Blaenau Gwent, S Wales
8 - Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
9 - Salford, Gtr Manchester
10 - Easington, County Durham

Well i live in mansfield (number six) and live about half hour away from Nottingham (number two) arnt i lucky :rolleyes:
Ginger Tom
A snob coming from a working class family, living on a ****ty council estate, who attended the worse school (in terms of league tables) in my borough, and is currently studying at a poor FE college. Yes, if that's your definition of a snob, you're right, I am one.

I'm not a snob, I just can't wait to go to University so I can escape the dreary setting I've lived in all my life. Wanting something better out of life doesn't make you a snob.

my apologies, its just how you came across. :smile:
Reply 93
It has to be Hull, and i'm not speaking objectively. I live 20 miles away but i try to limit my visits to about 5 a year, and that's only for essentials such as to gain access to a big library. And even then i plan my trip to minimize the time i'm in Hull which consequently lowers my mugging risk level and the chances of chav exposure. And i'm not trivialisng the issue, the place really is that bad. I've been all over the UK and it is the worst place in my opinion.
Reply 94
My family stayed in a hotel in Crawley one Friday night because we had a very early flight from Gatwick the next morning. So we went into town in the evening to get some dinner.

I can safely say I never ever want to go back there again. When you feel that you may get stabbed by chavs despite the fact that you are surrounded by a) your family, b) police cars, you do worry.
Reply 95
I'm in Sunderland; I've seen worse places certainly parts of Newcastle, but some wards are particuarly bad. In the UK, Canning Town in London I imagine comes close.
Reply 96
FranzFan
It has to be Hull, and i'm not speaking objectively. I live 20 miles away but i try to limit my visits to about 5 a year, and that's only for essentials such as to gain access to a big library. And even then i plan my trip to minimize the time i'm in Hull which consequently lowers my mugging risk level and the chances of chav exposure.

So basically you're scared of chavs.

Haha, great justification.
Carl
but it has the best cheap airport in the country, it's right next to the city, and you're not far from London.

There are loads of worse places than Luton, the Rhondda springs to mind for me. Luton is one of those middly, insignificant, you-wouldn't-notice-if-it-fell-off-the-map places.

Hey Carl :five:

True yes Luton apart from the chavs is just a boring town.
Reply 98
Journalistix
So basically you're scared of chavs.

Haha, great justification.

Chavs, cheap pubs, etc are all simply unpleasant.
Wigan.
Mansfield.
Hull.
Wolverhampton.
Middlesborough.

And I know it's not really a town or city, but Withensea (near Hull) has to be the most god-foresaken place on earth!

Latest