The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Most people who I have heard express an opinion on the matter rank the universities:

Cambridge
Oxford
Warwick/Imperial
Bath/Bristol

Or something similar.
Reply 2
Surely not? It's a very good university, but won't compare to Oxbridge, I don't think. Imperial and Warwick are also top notch. It's hard to tell, to be honest, but if you are that concerned with your university's reputation, go to Bath, get a First and then do a PhD at Cambridge, and you won't ever have to worry again!
Reply 3
Personally, good though the course looks, I'm a little dubious of a university maths course that doesn't do delta-epsilon analysis till the second year.
Reply 4
what about durham?
i thought they were next after ox/cam
well, according to times anyway
Reply 5
Ignore newspaper rankings, they're ok for a general idea of where a university stands, but beyond that they're worse than useless :tongue:
Reply 6
It might rank high for stuff like staff/student ratios and whatever else the tables are based on, but the content and difficulty of the course look pretty lightweight compared to Oxbridge.
Reply 7
well i hope its good as im going there... but they did seem to say that somer areas wich they scored high on wernt counted in tables as they were soo out of date... but hey!

vive la Bath!!! :cool:
Reply 8
Personally, good though the course looks, I'm a little dubious of a university maths course that doesn't do delta-epsilon analysis till the second year.

I think I did this in week 5ish. What are people's opinions of Durham Maths?
Reply 9
ssmoose
I think I did this in week 5ish. What are people's opinions of Durham Maths?

Obviously not that bad, I think we do it next term
Reply 10
Popa Dom
Obviously not that bad, I think we do it next term

Well, you've already met it this term with sequence and series analysis - though I suppose that is technically "epsilon and N" analysis, but it still the same beast.
Reply 11
I would agree with the ranking,
and yay bath and bristol are my top two - no offer from either yet :s
Reply 12
RichE

Ooh - I think we did some of that last year at school when trying to define what a limit was. Well, it involved deltas and epsilons and once the sequence stays within the epsilons, it's converged... Or something like that... Ah well...

Latest