The Student Room Group

I love my curves society

Scroll to see replies

Milli
Also because I do a lot of sports, Thai Boxing, Basketball…and attend the gym very regularly. It’s hard to gain the weight, no matter how much I eat…and I eat quite a bit! :p:

It’s hard to find the right type of clothes though…being tall makes it extra difficult when it comes to finding long skirts.

Ah right... yeah I'm only 5'6" and I still have trouble finding long skirts which are actually long enough - which is why I don't usually bother with them anymore!

Well at least you're very healthy, to be honest I think that's the most important thing. But if you would really like to become a bit curvier, you'll need to exercise less. I suggest you only do this if you have the kind of body where fat goes to your bottom/hips and bust. If it goes to your stomach/love handles, then putting on fat will not make you look curvy.
Reply 81
I think this is the crux of the matter:

Take two girls of equal weight and then look at their shapes. One may have thin waist and wide hips and one may be the same (medium for instance) all the way down. The curvy one will be better in such a comparison but only when she's curvy despite being of the same weight, not because she's curvy due to being heavier.

The only way you can check it is by comparing girls of the same weight, curviness on its own means nothing as squirly pointed out.
Reply 82
I wear size 12 (girls) jeans, because all the nice (not insane baggy eminem crap) are girl's jeans.
Reply 83
Juicy Fruit
Ah right... yeah I'm only 5'6" and I still have trouble finding long skirts which are actually long enough - which is why I don't usually bother with them anymore!

Well at least you're very healthy, to be honest I think that's the most important thing. But if you would really like to become a bit curvier, you'll need to exercise less. I suggest you only do this if you have the kind of body where fat goes to your bottom/hips and bust. If it goes to your stomach/love handles, then putting on fat will not make you look curvy.

Yeah same here…..I’ve now chosen the trouser-skirt style :p:

When I do eat, fat goes to the hips, so I guess taking a break from exercise would do some good :yy:
Reply 84
This has to be one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

So a couple of you jokers don't fit the current ideal in the notoriously fickle eyes of the trendmakers and fashion industry. But hey, you still want that warm glow you get inside from excluding others that only the exclusion and degradation of the feelings of others brings, so you decide arbritarily on a new set of parameters which, quelle surprise, you happen to fall comfortably inside of.

Now unless I've got it wrong, and the power of definition of abstract concepts with rigid, numerical measurements has fallen into your hands, you are in actual fact just as harmful as the "BELOW SIZE X OR GTFO" crowd. But then again, I sense that if you woke up one day and you fell into that category, that'd be fine too, as long as you can walk over people who don't conform to these ridiculous standards.
Reply 85
I don't care skinny or curvy you got to have a good personality!
you'd be suprised, not many guys are as discriminating as you'd like to believe (unless you're obviously obese) and the whole perfect-body issue is only a girl thing because in reality guys who REALLY like you will like you for who you ARE not what you look like. You can forget about ass holes who say otherwise.

Also, good eating and exercising should be done, just eating junk food isn't respecting your body at all.
Reply 86
Can we join, or do we have to start the "We love your curves" society?
Reply 87
RJ89
Can we join, or do we have to start the "We love your curves" society?

Oh dear, I was thinking that this is just a thread for some girls to try and justify their additional weight with some optimism, or perhaps even rant - I don't think anybody's actually serious about creating such a society. ^o) Then again, you'll never know.
Reply 88
yes start a society i'm in
Reply 89
What a rubbish society. You cant join and then argue about how curvy you have to be, to be in.
Reply 90
more adventurous
You ARE curvy then. You have a .7 waist/hip ratio, which is considered pretty much ideal. Most of the self-professed "curvy" people on here will have a greater ratio than that (ie, they're less curvy).

If you add 1" to each of your measurements - that's me.

yeah i think mine was around a .68 or something ridiculous like that.

nope, i'm around a .74.......my hips would have to be larger for me to be exactly ideal, which is a bit strange when you consider that i already have a 9 inch difference.

honestly, i don't think it's wrong to be super thin, after all, that's what i starved myself for. i just don't think it's fair that we have a society that seems to worship the size 0 5'10 actress who most of us can never become. models are tiny, people in commercials are tiny, clothes are made for people with no figure! i think thin is beautiful and gorgeous, just like i think tan people are gorgeous.

jealousy has made me proud of what i do have....my boobs and my butt. just like i go around thinking to myself in summer "pale is pretty" i think to myself all the time "guys like what i have too!"

and they do. why not celebrate what WE have? everything else in society celebrates stick thin people.....we have a right to be beautiful too. sorry.
Reply 91
To be honest, I don't think "stick-thin" people are celebrated. Thin people are, yes, but those who are unhealthy and stick-thin are usually ripped to pieces in magazines.

Example - yes, people like Kate Moss are celebrated. But Kate Moss isn't unhealthily thin. She has a slim figure which she's always had and she never looks ill.

But stick-thin, gaunt looking celebs are always picked up on for being too thin. For example - Victoria Beckham, Nicole Richie, Kate Lawler when she lost too much weight.
Reply 92
i love my big boobs and i like having a bum.
all my mates are jealous of me hahaha. i find it abit weird but whatever.
my belly isnt too bad. ill admit its not the flatest thing in the world but im cool with it.
Reply 93
axios
Oh hold it a second, are you admitting in your first line that the whole "curvy" thing is a voluntary self-denial to stop you accepting a reality which, when brought to attention, you agree is bad?

Oh you are? Well thanks for making my side of the argument easy.

have you seen pictures of danni bella? she's a model and absolutely gorgeous....one comment from a photographer about how fat she was and she felt horrible about herself for days! you don't have to look *bad* to feel bad about yourself because someone insulted you. most people aren't so confident that a disparaging comment can be thrown out without notice......i know that i'm not fat, but that doesn't mean that i don't constantly feel it because i don't look like a victoria secret model.
Yeah she is thin for a regular person but not really for a model, to be honest. I'm not even close to fat but if a modelling agent/scout told me to lose weight, I wouldn't take that to mean that I'm actually fat, just fat for a model.
Wow, this thread makes me feel insecure. My friends say I'm not overweight, but I think they're just being nice to me. I'm 5'7/8 and weigh just under 10 stone. I've been this weight and height since I was 13. I'm a size 12 for tops, and 14, sometimes 16 for trousers. I think my top half is ok - I barely have breasts to speak of (32B), my ribs are visible when I look in the mirror, my stomach is pretty much flat, and my only problems are that I have huge shoulders and long arms. But my bottom half is awful. My hips are huge, and all my weight seems to be centred around a saggy arse and huge unattractive elephant thighs. My legs seem to be about double the size of my friends' legs. There's no definition to them either, and they look like mens' legs more than anything else. They've always been out of proportion because pictures taken when I was 5/6 and diagnosed as very underweight because I refused to eat a lot of the time still show me with these huge legs - but they do have more fat on them now, and I didn't have a huge arse before puberty. It really gets me down because I feel I lack a lot of feminity because of my body. I wouldn't ever dare to wear a skirt or a dress because it would make me look awful, so I hide in huge jeans all the time. I'm always trying to lose weight (I eat very moderately and pretty healthily all the time though - no binging or rash fad diets for me) but nothing shifts it, and I just feel like I'm only losing weight from my top half. It really does get me down.
Reply 96
curryADD
yeah i think mine was around a .68 or something ridiculous like that.

nope, i'm around a .74.......my hips would have to be larger for me to be exactly ideal, which is a bit strange when you consider that i already have a 9 inch difference.

honestly, i don't think it's wrong to be super thin, after all, that's what i starved myself for. i just don't think it's fair that we have a society that seems to worship the size 0 5'10 actress who most of us can never become. models are tiny, people in commercials are tiny, clothes are made for people with no figure! i think thin is beautiful and gorgeous, just like i think tan people are gorgeous.

jealousy has made me proud of what i do have....my boobs and my butt. just like i go around thinking to myself in summer "pale is pretty" i think to myself all the time "guys like what i have too!"

and they do. why not celebrate what WE have? everything else in society celebrates stick thin people.....we have a right to be beautiful too. sorry.

Its so true, I love woman with a lovly curvy figure, please no stick insects please. However at the end of the day the most important thing is to be yourself.:tsr2:
yorkshirelass
Wow, this thread makes me feel insecure. My friends say I'm not overweight, but I think they're just being nice to me. I'm 5'7/8 and weigh just under 10 stone. I've been this weight and height since I was 13. I'm a size 12 for tops, and 14, sometimes 16 for trousers. I think my top half is ok - I barely have breasts to speak of (32B), my ribs are visible when I look in the mirror, my stomach is pretty much flat, and my only problems are that I have huge shoulders and long arms. But my bottom half is awful. My hips are huge, and all my weight seems to be centred around a saggy arse and huge unattractive elephant thighs. My legs seem to be about double the size of my friends' legs. There's no definition to them either, and they look like mens' legs more than anything else. They've always been out of proportion because pictures taken when I was 5/6 and diagnosed as very underweight because I refused to eat a lot of the time still show me with these huge legs - but they do have more fat on them now, and I didn't have a huge arse before puberty. It really gets me down because I feel I lack a lot of femininity because of my body. I wouldn't ever dare to wear a skirt or a dress because it would make me look awful, so I hide in huge jeans all the time. I'm always trying to lose weight (I eat very moderately and pretty healthily all the time though - no binging or rash fad diets for me) but nothing shifts it, and I just feel like I'm only losing weight from my top half. It really does get me down.

:frown: Don't let a thread on the internet get you down.
10stone at 5'7 5'8 isn't bad at all (compare yourself to me if you want i'm same height and 11 and 1/2 stone If i can learn to love all that you can learn to love 10stone :tongue:) If you are really unhappy and want to change your legs maybe there are some toning exercises you can do to target that area, google around or even better go ask at your local gym if you can afford it. Emphasize the parts you like, you say you have a lovely top half and flat tum, loads of girls would kill for that so show it off no one will notice you "hiding" in baggyjeans if you have a lovely top on showing off the parts you think are nicest. Braod shoulders are good as well, they stop your handbags falling off :p: I cracked both my collarbones when younger and it spurred them into some growth so i have large/broad shoulders, but I like them, i don't have the straps slipping off problem most peopel seem to have :biggrin:
Reply 98
curryADD
have you seen pictures of danni bella? she's a model and absolutely gorgeous....one comment from a photographer about how fat she was and she felt horrible about herself for days! you don't have to look *bad* to feel bad about yourself because someone insulted you. most people aren't so confident that a disparaging comment can be thrown out without notice......i know that i'm not fat, but that doesn't mean that i don't constantly feel it because i don't look like a victoria secret model.

No one ever talked about danni bella, no one ever talked about thin girls vs REALLY thin girls. As far as I'm concerned she's thin and curvy, so that's ok. All I (and alfakim I think) have a problem with is fat girls calling themselves curvy.
Reply 99
marisad_uk
maybe there are some toning exercises you can do to target that area, google around or even better go ask at your local gym if you can afford it.

Don't make her miserable by suggesting exercise, marisad. :wink:

And anyway, what is this, some kind of "Make girls feel good whatever they look like" thread? I'm all for 'girl power' (well, in some contexts) but not to the extent where you have to butter up every overweight girl in sight.

Also, this is actually a bit of an offensive thread in some ways. If someone made a thinness society (and they'd be more justified I should think), lots of people would get upset and offended.

Quick Reply

Latest