The Student Room Group

Mental Health in Today's Society- Best Blog Yet!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100

Date: 27/07/2017 Time: 11.00PM
Just Another Daily Dose of A Shining Bright Blog!

Welcome. Today I have been working on the video aspect of my website. Surprisingly, I enjoyed looking for videos; initially I thought it would be dull in the sense that it would be really difficult to find the right video- what I wanted, as I am picky for what I like. I browsed through YouTube using phrases like ‘Youth Mental Health Awareness’ or ‘mental health for teenagers’. There were results like personal experiences of teenagers or people talking about mental illness. What I had in mind was colourful videos, cartoon like characters talking about specific topics directly to the user whilst also reassuring them with ‘it’s ok to feel this way’. The search was long but insightful as I learnt a lot from the videos and I did note down some ideas to convey in my blogs from a selection of videos that I watched; especially advice videos as they were really good.

I used Huzzaz (www.huzzaz.com) to copy the videos onto shine bright. After searching and saving the video on my account; I clicked the Embed button. With this, I copied the iframe code that was given and pasted this into my html box of my website. The video was automatically visible on my website after a wait of 5 seconds.

As you can see in the screenshot below, the title at the top of the video is a hyperlink which links back to the original YouTube channel of the owner of the video I.e. the organisation. I did have the opportunity with the application to download the video and then use that to directly apply this into the website. With this function, when the video is clicked it would just be like an original video on the website than actually showing that it was embed from an external source or I could use the method of embedding which would show it was embed from owners like Mind or time to talk on YouTube. As you can see I decided to choose the latter option as this is giving credit to the owner whilst also allowing teenagers to refer to their channel if they wish.

Videos:

1: Five ways to get moving and feel better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4p6TddpHSg

2: “You’re too young to be mentally ill- Time to change”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNoHlpa0LnE

Here are attached the videos which I’ve applied onto my website. There are not many videos which really grab my attention and my emotions. The first video is an advice video which is quite good and the 2nd video talking about her experience of mental health; I disregarded this at first, but I found it inspiring and moving as I watched it which is exactly what a person needs to uplift their spirits.

As I have a conscience and this will staying hanging with me, so for my own satisfaction I did send an email to Mind to reassure myself that I can apply this on my website. If not, then I will remove the videos; but I’m sure they would allow this as they have enabled the ‘share and embed’ on YouTube anyway.

Events Page quick update

I have been looking for more dates relating on different celebrations days. I have found 3 more events for celebration day In North west and South east for International survivors of suicide loss day. I will continue to add dates on, however as this is on-going I do expect more event days to arise in the soon future.

Another day wrapped up. Until next time- Peace, love and unity.

Quote of the day-

‘Don’t look back and ask WHY, look ahead and say WHY NOT’- The world is your oyster, look ahead!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 101
Just a quick update: Today's blog may be slightly late than usual--> Plan for something special--> so Stay Tuned in!
Reply 102

Date: 28/07/2017 Time: 2.00AM

Welcome. Today I have been creating.... A Mindmap! I finished now and its 2PM. Today, instead of making the normal blog here I decided I would use a more creative approach by using a mindmap.

Using a Mindmap for my blog was great as I was able to bring together all the elements of the website I still needed to talk about which included Captcha, Google Author Verification and stock images. Also in a way, this makes a change from the usual blogs which you see everyday from myself and other bloggers here on Web Legend.

Although, I will not be doing another mindmap anytime soon as that took way too long- I think I started just before the update plan I did before- so yeah pretty drained and sleepy at the moment but the mindmap looked pretty cool :smile:.

Anyway, enjoy. I have attached a video and a set of images:

Quote of the day-

'Follow your dreams believe in yourself and don't give up'- Rachel Corrie
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 103
(Tried my best to upload the video, but I cant gonna try tommorow I dont know why its not uploading on attachment) nigjht.
Original post by MBash

Date: 28/07/2017 Time: 2.00AM

Welcome. Today I have been creating.... A Mindmap! I finished now and its 2PM. Today, instead of making the normal blog here I decided I would use a more creative approach by using a mindmap.

Using a Mindmap for my blog was great as I was able to bring together all the elements of the website I still needed to talk about which included Captcha, Google Author Verification and stock images. Also in a way, this makes a change from the usual blogs which you see everyday from myself and other bloggers here on Web Legend.

Although, I will not be doing another mindmap anytime soon as that took way too long- I think I started just before the update plan I did before- so yeah pretty drained and sleepy at the moment but the mindmap looked pretty cool :smile:.

Anyway, enjoy. I have attached a video and a set of images:

Quote of the day-

'Follow your dreams believe in yourself and don't give up'- Rachel Corrie

Oh my days, this must have taken you forever! Awesome work!!
Reply 105
Original post by BunkerBoy1
Oh my days, this must have taken you forever! Awesome work!!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 106
Follow up Blog from Yesterday

Just an update from Yesterday's Mindmap video that I couldn't put up for some reason. So I've uploaded the video onto YouTube and then posted the link onto here. Video is a bit rusty- sorry guys was too tired at that point :wink:

Video Blog:

Designing and Developing my website: SHINE BRIGHT

[video="youtube;TFAUsOuynBo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFAUsOuynBo&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Reply 107

Date: 29/07/2017 Time: 8.30PM

Welcome. Today I have been working on adding a feedback pop-up. I wanted to add a feedback plugin before. However after chatting to site123 I found out this could not be done if there is no plugin; however I was not told there was a plugin available so I assumed I could not add this. OrangeJuice website uses this which is pretty cool and I asked site123 and their response was it was feasible so I decided to apply this. OrangeJuice did offer to help me to use coding to apply this as an alternative, which I am thankful to him for.

Zotabox Plugin

I really wanted to add some sort of feedback page for users to leave their review of the site and how useful they think the website has been to them. So I created a pop-up feedback which redirects the user to the email contact page. I used Zotabox to create this. Within Zotobox, there was a variety of different pop-ups including promotion pop-ups to choose from, I decided to choose this pop-up as I preferred this over others.

Constructing the Feedback Pop-up

First I adjusted the colour which would suit and match my website colour scheme; so used the colour matcher wand to match the green colour from my website. I entered a message which would be engaging and encourage the user to leave a feedback.

Of course as this will be actively present on my website, I needed to ensure the pop up was adjustable on difference devices. So I adjusted the setting which would show the minimum screen size to be a smartphone (320x480). The pop-up is available on every page of the website, and once clicked the minimum click on the pop-up; it will not bother you anymore. Every visit from the user will have a pop-up to ensure potential feedback is exposed to its maximum for me to receive a good response rate. With my website focus being teenagers and help, this feedback is so vital for me as I want to know what I am doing wrong and what I am doing right so I can move forward with improvements which will benefit each and every user on shine bright.

It was great to see the different settings available to adjust a pop-up from lighting to size and positioning. Once completed, there are additional settings which also aided me to boost my pop-up further.

A unique code was provided by zotabox which I copied into Shine bright which would result my site to become connected and the service to go live. So you can see from below. The most useful aspect of this was zotobox provided a preview page which allowed me to view the pop-up in action before and change the settings of the pop-up straight away if there were any issues. This was came in handy as by using this I realised placing the pop-up on the bottom left of the website would clash with the cookies banner whilst the Live chat icon on the far right also present would mean there is too much activity towards the bottom section of the site which would put off the user. So I raised the pop-up by adjusting the positioning.

Instead of the green colour, I could have uploaded a picture; preferably the logo. But I decided not to upload this as the logo is already present on the top section of the website and I didn’t want to over-do it with the presence of pictures, logos. So I opted for a clean, plain green background. I understand as my view numbers increase, the feedback pop-up will be in use as larger audience is exposed to it.

Tommorow is Review and Evaluation day- A long blog indeed!
Thanks for reading and that's one of the last blogs wrapped up- until tomorrow- Love, Peace and Unity.

Quote of the day-

“Kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless”- Mother Teresa.
Reply 108

Mental Health In Today's Society- Best Blog Yet!

Glossary:

Here is a list of things I have completed/yet to complete through my Journey of planning, designing, building and running my website. :badger::beer::bumps::danceboy::kungfu:

The glossary is hyperlinked which lead you to the specific blogs I have completed. :cyber: Each blogs has motivation quotes- Be sure to check them out! :tsr:. I decided to add a glossary which seems pretty unique to the blog posts here on web legend but also it will help out new comers to read the blogs easily :smile: :date:

This glossary is edited and added to the original post of this competition thread.

Key:
Green- Completed- Mission Accomplished
Yellow- In progress- Hold your horses
Red- Not Yet- Error 639

1. Website Introduction -MA
2. Plan Update -MA
3: Design Plan Update -MA
4: Logo and Slogan -MA
5: Plan MindMap-MA
6: Further Update Follow Up Blog -MA
Reply post: Logo and We-MA b Design Problems and Overcoming It -MA
7: Decision time: About Section-MA
8: Spider Diagram Web Plan-MA
9: Screenshot ‘About’ Section-MA
10: Website Homepage (and Plan) -MA
11: Email + Privacy and T&C -MA
12: The Do’s of Website Creating -MA
Asking Your opinions- TSR post -MA
13: What problem have I faced? -MA
14: Decision to resolve problem faced post and Don’ts of website creating -MA
15: Excellent resources I use to help build my website -MA
Motivation post for everyone -MA
16: TSR Post and Youth Centre Planning -MA
17: Local Youth Centre Visit: Primary Research -MA
18: Youth Centre Follow Up and Pictures -MA
More Youth centre primary research pictures: -MA
19: Evaluation and Data Presentation of Youth Centre Visit -MA
20: Clear image of YCV, Mini Checklist for Website -MA
Mini Blog Plan Daily Update -MA
21: Incredible ways to market a NGO today -MA
22: Don’t Delay, Target your Audience Today -MA
23: What makes the Ultimate Website? -MA
24: Upcoming Website articles-MA
25: Tags and Cookies -MA
26: Mini Screenshots Blog -MA
27: Social Media -MA
28: Facebook Issues and Screenshots -MA
Twitter Screenshot Attachments -MA
29: Keywords and SEO - for Best Keywords with Screenshots -MA
30: Plugins: Google Analytics and Google Tag Assistant -MA
31: Charity domain- Website Problem -MA
32: Website Online Chat problem Update -MA
33: My experiences Blog Series. Part 1 of 3 -MA
34: Domain and Hosting Packages -MA
35: Favicon and Social Images -MA
35: Upcoming Website Blogs and LetsTalk Update -MA
36: Lets Talk Chat & Bad promotions! -MA
37: Helplines -MA
38: My plan vs. Website: How well are we REALLY doing? -MA
39: Languages and Sitemap Indexing -MA
40: FAQ and Gallery Plan -MA
41: My experiences Blog series. Part 2 of 3 -MA
42: FAQ and Quote Gallery with Screenshots -MA
Quote Gallery Screenshots -MA
Further Gallery Mini Blog addition -MA
43: Perfect Password & Exciting Events Page Launch -MA
44: National Days Update Blog - MA
45: Bing Tools, Events & Facebook Combo. Blog -MA
46: Unattached Images Follow Up Post -MA
47: Youtube Videos Blog -MA
48: Website Creating: What to Know -MA
49: Advice/ Inspirational Videos- Mind and Time to Talk -MA
50: Designing and Developing Shine Bright Spider Diagram MindMap -MA
51: Designing and Developing Shine Bright- Video -MA
52: Feedback Pop-Up -MA
53: Evaluation and Review Day - MA
54: My experiences Blog series. Part 3 of 3 - MA

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

All Completed! Mission Accomplished!

:party::party:

:beer::crossedf::wavey:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 109

Date: 30/07/2017 Time: 10.00PM

Welcome to another blog. So today’s blog will discuss EVERYTHING from the beginning of website creating to now and bring it all together and wrapping up the blogs.

Site123

So I used SITE123.com website creator to create my website. It has been a great website offering a variety of tools to enhance and boost my website. A word of advice would be check out different website builders like Wordpress, Weebly, Wix etc. I used this builder based on my previous experience and as I was so into creating a well-led plan for my new website I didn’t search for other builders- as if you compare pricing site123 is pricey than you may see with other site builders. So keep that in mind.

Plan

In my humble opinion, a plan is your best friend if you shall. Personally, I don’t tend to plan anything- so this time I was really into creating a well done website and a plan helped me out a lot. A plan will show how YOU want your website and adjustments can be made before the real thing is set up; saving time and potentially money. I did a plan which I constantly referred to; I followed my plan well and I didn’t follow my plan. As, although I wasn’t able to add some things to the website; but remember it’s just a plan at the end of the day and not everything written will be in your website. So, plan and execute!

Branding

I did create the logo myself. I am proud of the outcome as well as I am of the website name and the slogan. I think the logo speaks volume in the term it encourages, motivates and gives people the hope to rise above mental health and shine through. Of course as with anything there are potentials for improvement- I.e. using a professionally made logo by outsourcing. First reason I avoided this is 1. It’s way too expensive and as a student, it wouldn’t be feasible and 2. There are many other aspects of the website which need to be focussed at as right now it’s more important for the website to maximise on its view per person and climbing the ladder up SERPS. This is definetly something to look into in the future; but at the moment I am very happy with the logo and I think it does look pretty professional if I must add.

Resources

I did watch quite a few YouTube videos for website creating, especially for SEO and keywords as initially I was clueless as to where to start. I learnt a lot, so I think its important to refer to time to time. I didn’t read any books on website creating; So I think that’s something for sure I would definitely do if I was to re-make this website as a book specifically for website creators will help you in ways you don’t imagine.

Researching

I think it’s always good to see what others think of your website. The youth centre visit was a success as I learnt a lot as to what others think about my website and as I love criticisms, it did give me a good opportunity to find improvements. So in that sense, I would recommend people to use a focus group to see how well and useful do others think your website is. But then again, I reviewed my website quite early on when it was being created; so given by the new functions applied onto shine bright; I would like to return sometime to see what people think about my website now, once it is completed. So once again something, I definetly look to do in the future and I would strongly recommend others to do. It may just be in the view of other people, there are some aspects of a website that you can learn that you may not necessarily think there is any issue with or which requires improvements. So a word of advice, look for other peoples opinions and use this to modify your website, seeking for help and advise from time to time is not a sign of weakness!

Marketing

It’s important for me to know where I am marketing and where I will obtain most of my audience. At this moment, there are likely to be very low direct searches from teenagers, so the alternative is to obtain my audience from another source, i.e. social media. Here is where I need to evaluate which platform I am more likely to receive my audience. For example, there’s no need creating a LinkedIn account as I am certain no traffic will come from there; but creating a Facebook account and being regularly active will aid to create loyalty and audience. I have been successful in creating an account and updating as much as I can; however lately in the few days, I have been slacking a little as I am busy with work and my website. But nonetheless its important for me to stay active which I will ensure to improve on.

Target Audience

My target audience was 13-17 year olds. I wanted to target the younger generation as I know how easy it is to fall into depression and anxiety in today’s society with everything that’s happening around us from school stress, bullying, relationship fails, the stigma to look and act a certain way, bereavement and traditions & cultures (I.e. to dress a certain way and forced into traditional activities), I think in this sense its very easy for teenagers to feel they are alone. And also being very passionate about mental health, I want to use this website as a means for helping anyone in any small way I can to contribute to mitigating mental health in today’s Society.

Website design

I like my website design as it is easy to navigate through. I think my website itself does incorporate the C’s of creating a website.
Context, Content, Community, Customisation, Communication, Connection and Commerce.

In terms of Context- the site layout and design is pretty good given I am targeting a teenage audience; it is lively and welcoming with bright colours and creating a warm platform. There is content present, but I am planning to create more content which will be based on different aspects of mental health and how teenagers can seek help and cope with it. Community to some extent is available for user-to-user communication; although this is via blog comments only. So that is something to look into further to create a separate for teenagers to communicate with one another rather than through the comment section. Customisation and communication I have achieved. As well as Connection to other websites- i.e. helplines hyperlinks connecting to other helpline websites. Commerce however is not applicable in my case.

Search Engine Optimisation and SEO Keywords

I think I am happy to say I mastered this. I was able to use the best possible keywords in accordance to the keywords search tools I used. Although for future blogs, I will still need to create effective keywords for ranking. SEO was the most difficult aspect of my website creating I would say as I didn’t know what I was doing until I researched upon this. Now I understand and can confidently and comfortably apply keywords for ranking. What I need to remember is to ensure I use a number of search tools to see how the keyword search ranks vary from different tools.

Analytic tools

This is my favourite part of website creating. Using this I can see how well my website is doing. On Google Analytics, in the last week, the website has been fluctuating reaching a peak of 13 sessions in one day and the next day go to only 1 session (which obviously is meJ). Using this I can see I am getting my audience from different cities across the UK; with Sheffield, Leeds, Lincoln, Dudley, Reading and Chepstow being the main player. Internationally, whether its spam or genuine views, it’s interesting either way. But I have had audience from UK, Israel, Jamaica and many more.

Analytic tools have been really useful. I will use this in the future to create improvements to increase the influx of views.

Domain

I used .org.uk from namecheap.com. The cost was not high considering it was part of a package which was pretty cool. I also bought the email domain which also had its own spreadsheet system which was pretty cool but useless for me at the moment. I have had no problems with this domain and there’s nothing else to say apart from I am happy to have chosen this site for my domain. If I was to repeat this is to search for more different sites and make a more organised decision. I am happy I did not wait for my reply from site123 regarding if they can register a domain as I don’t think it would have happened given by the wait for this long. So an advice would be to seek alternatives if needed.

It’s quite difficult to sum up all the blogs on this thread into one blog; but in my words I can say it has been an eventful ride planning and creating this website. I have added many plugins, analytic systems, a live chat page, a feedback pop-up, languages, blogs, helplines, quote gallery, YouTube help videos and many more. One piece of advise I want to give is simply go and create your website; may it be for a cause or a profit either way, push yourself out of your comfort zone and exploit all the resources available to you whilst ensuring you remember what you are adding should add value to your website than adding it for the means to do so.

This has been a review of the main aspects of building Shine Bright and coming to a comfortable end. There are of course many more which are equally important; but this is the most important ones I’ve come up with. As a side note just to inform I haven’t heard back from Mind yet since sending my email. I hope you have enjoyed the second last blog of my website building and running journey. Join me tomorrow for the last and final blog of my experiences. Until then remember Peace, Love and Unity!

Quote of the day-

"No matter how you feel. Get up, dress up, show up and NEVER GIVE UP’"- Regina Brett

One love. :yep:
Reply 110
OMG I'm such a donut. I know the competition is ending on the 31st; I'd thought the competition is ending after the last blog tommorow :eek3:. But everyone have said their farewells today already?? The penny finally drops for some:facepalm:.
Ok, here's the plan- I will keep the blog short and sweet tommorow and I will try.. try.. to do it earlier as I can't do it after work as that will be too late.

Bye. (p.s. Don't laugh :cute: at least I knew the end date!)

p.s. I need to show you something tomorrow, my sister-in-law is adamant for me to put it here online
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 111

Date: 31/07/2017 Time: 9.00PM

Welcome to the last blog. In the last and final blog, I want to talk about my experiences. I had an amazing experience building and running a website throughout this journey. It has been an adventure and as I look back onto previous blogs, it feels like time has flown by.

What’s gone well so far?

I have created a website which will address mental health issues in today’s society. Creating a live chat and blogs along other functions for teenagers to refer to will be invaluable to helping teenagers. I have uploaded blogs already and I will continue to do this as I move forward.

I will work even harder to ensure my website does work and as I said on the first day, if it helps one person then I have fulfilled my job; so that’s what I will do.

How easy was it to get started?

It’s never easy when starting something as I didn’t know where to begin. But once I started I had the mentality to ensure I work and work to ensure my website is better and better each day. It’s incredible to think my journey started from making a logo from jotting idea and designs on my scratch book to actually completing my website. But I think with creating a website, sometimes it feels so exhausting and time consuming at times when there are issues reoccurring numerous times. But it’s a matter of perseverance as I think all bloggers would agree.

Why did you choose to do it?

I decided to create a website as I love helping people and spreading positivity; especially to help those who suffer mental health and I am a firm believer its something that needs to addressed. I wanted to target teenagers as I feel as they are in the same age group as me, I feel we are on the same wavelength and we have that connection of being in our teenage years; it weird. Hence why I want to help teenagers as they go through so many problems and that alone majority of the time as they feel like they have no one. In any way, shape or form I want to be a part of eradicating mental health in todays society.

What is the future of shine bright?

Without a doubt, I want there to be growth and shine. I want shine bright to go up the search engine ranking and be something for teenagers. I will add more blogs and promote my website to put it out there. I feel shine bright has a huge potential in the future and I am willing to ensure it is exploited but first I want to ensure it is ranked at the top and create a small audience and working my way up.

What tips can I share with others?

I would say there is no handbook or instructions to creating the perfect site. I think it lays with you as a person, if you are willing to work, persevere and have that positive mindset that your website will be successful then you can create any website, in a market whether its saturated or not and your website will be a roaring triumph.

TSR

In regards to the TSR blogs, I tried to create regular enjoyable blogs which was my main priority. I have thoroughly enjoyed creating these blogs over the past few months; this has been quite exciting and thrilling to create my blog and then pop over to other people’s blog- it felt like we are in a journey just doing our own thing and sometimes popping over and commenting on each others blog here and there. Its fun and I’ve loved it. We are all Web Legends!!
This is my final blog as the competition is ending today; so thank you to everyone for your constructive comments and giving me the opportunity to be part of this competition :ta:. It has been an enjoyable ride and I want to end this on a positive note:

“Remember guys stay happy, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best!”
~MBash~ :wink::smile::^_^:

More

My sister in law created this some time back and I wanted to save this for this blog- It’s so cute: (She sewed the pink herself- Just a little something) :top:

Spoiler

One love! :console::youbetcha:

Quick Reply

Latest