The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Hmmm... Is it me, or is there no board for UEL? :confused:

Is it a good university? I'm thinking of applying for Music Culture: Theory and Production there, but being from outside the UK I have absolutely no idea about the uni itself and the course, and frankly speaking I do not trust the on-line (or printed ones, whatever) prospecti of the universities, as everything looks so cool and nice and attractive there, and you may find yourself in a hell hole then having another gap year (just like I did the previous year with LondonMet). So I'd really, really really love to avoid history repeat itself. :rolleyes:

Is University of East London a uni worth considering for a guy with good grades?

Scroll to see replies

nutrasweet

Is it a good university? I'm thinking of applying for Music Culture: Theory and Production there, but being from outside the UK I have absolutely no idea about the uni itself and the course, and frankly speaking I do not trust the on-line (or printed ones, whatever) prospecti of the universities, as everything looks so cool and nice and attractive there, and you may find yourself in a hell hole then having another gap year (just like I did the previous year with LondonMet). So I'd really, really really love to avoid history repeat itself. :rolleyes:

Is University of East London a uni worth considering for a guy with good grades?

no. the university of east london is as bad as london met. it has a huge dropout rate, and an awful reputation - it's at the bottom of the league tables.

if you have good grades then you should consider places such as king's, queen mary, goldsmiths and UCL - all members of the university of london.
Library, University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
notsoperfect
no. the university of east london is as bad as london met. it has a huge dropout rate, and an awful reputation - it's at the bottom of the league tables.

if you have good grades then you should consider places such as king's, queen mary, goldsmiths and UCL - all members of the university of london.

Yup, I've just found out that it's a former polytechnic (again), thanks. The problem with me is that I am looking for a Music oriented course (apart from Journalism that I've mentioned here and there already), but with a BA/MA degree, as I have not enough theoretical knowledge at the moment to get onto a BMus course (I am wack at note reading, in fact I'm self-taught keyboard player for about 5 years). I know how to use lots audio editing apps and I'm a music fanatic (from the Journalistic side as well), but as I've said I don't want to even cheat myself about getting into a BMus course - not good enough theoretically, so it would be a waste of place at my application. But I'll check the once you've provided me with, thanks :wink:
Reply 3
as far as i know UEL is gd for music and journalism particularly, even though it is a **** uni. They offer specialized courses.
Reply 4
I love how everybody knows everything about UEL when as far as I know, I'm only one of two students on this board who has actually studied at UEL.

I'm not saying this is the greatest university in the world or anything, but a lot of opinions seem a bit over the top.
Reply 5
notsoperfect

you can't do music at UCL...
Reply 6
nutrasweet

If you have good grades then I wouldn't advise you to go to UEL. For decent london universities check universities like Queen Mary, City, Brunel(rather average), and goldsmiths. I'm not sure which ones offer your course. I would advice you to not just limit yourself to 1 course but be a bit more flexible in your choices in order to get into a good uni as it seems not many universities offer your course?
Does anyone here know which are good universities for music?
Reply 7
Pretty harsh what everyone is saying about UEL...

I've applied, is it that bad?
Reply 8
gerrard02
If you have good grades then I wouldn't advise you to go to UEL. For decent london universities check [...] City [...]

I bet you're gonna get like 5 people now rambling about how bad CITY is and how much it sucks ass... :rolleyes:

I've heard that it's pretty good for Journalism [however, I still don't know if it's really the best course in the whole UK and one of the best courses in Journalism worldwide, as it says e.g. on Wikipedia :wink:] but sucks for socializing - on the other hand I really hardly can imagine that studying in London, regardless of the place, can be connected with "social deficiencies"... :rolleyes:
Man, just apply where you feel you'll have most fun and where you feel you'll be able to spend some years of your life. The truth is, most people here don't know jack about these different universities, and even less about how good they are for your preferred courses. Okay, fine...UE, MET might not be Imperial, LSE, Oxbridge...or whatever, but...I dont really think thats what you were wondering. London is a great city, and you will have fun wherever you go. And university-wise, as long as you find the course and place you wanna be at....go for it! Good luck mate.

PS. City is, acoording to what I've heard, I pretty good Uni, and I'm quite sure it's a good one for Journalism.
nutrasweet

It think it is good.
They have great parties and lots of booze and fun.
And the area is not as dangerous as teh wimps at the posh universities will tell you. I think you will fit in there very well.

And why didnt you got to London Met ? It is pretty ok too.
You can have a /great/ time and an /alright/ education at any uni you study at really.

But you have to honest with yourself, does reputation matter?
For me, it really does, I'm not going to apply for a university I couldn't feel proud of.

UEL has no decent reputation.

Some good links for music course stuff:
http://www.cukas.ac.uk/search/index.html
http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RMHN9GKxSbwRci7pty7evvssTGRX_-47z8/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSearch.whereNext?query=455&word=MUSIC

On that second link, you're looking for music technology, or popular music performance, something along those lines.
Reply 12
Have you looked at Kingston for a music tech/production course? I know people who've got in there with few (if any) formal music qualifications and it seems to be somewhere that's quite highly regarded for music courses, especially on the more technical side. It's not a 'top' uni but it's way above UEL ...
Reply 13
UEL is a nasty university and it doesn't even feel like a proper university. I go to this university and I live there too. There is nothing to do here. Don't expect any great student union either. The Docklands campus is right next to the city airport so it's noisy during the day and night and you'll find many weird people here.

Even the average college is more friendly and better facilitated than this university in my experience.
Reply 14
There is stuff to do, the SUbar is quiet but aside from studying (which is why we're all here) I'm pretty rarely bored since I do stuff with friends from the other buildings here. There's usually people around and things to do.

The airport isn't that bad really, if you have your windows open and your room faces the runway it can be a bit noisy but I got used to it pretty quickly. Also it's not noisy all day and night since there are flying restrictions which means flights aren't allowed to take off or land after 9:30pm and also there must be a 24 hour period during the weekend when no flights take place.

I don't really know much about the facilities at colleges since I didn't study here in the UK and I don't study on the Docklands campus (I study at Stratford) so I don't know what it lacks. Academically a lot of the students are a bit on the stupid side, but in my view just as long as you focus on your own work and let them do theirs you can get something out of studying here.
Reply 15
I study at UEL and I love it. I am on a really good course, my lecturers are Fantastic!!! The library is well supplied and all of my course equipment is brand new. I am at Stratford and I appreciate that I have a beautiful Victorian building to have my lectures in and a new clinical education building to have my practicals in.

Regarding SU, I can’t comment on that as I don’t get involved, they do however some fantastic holiday offers…

The negative think I can say about UEL is the computers are a bit slow in a library, but they are getting plenty of new comps this year and constantly updating the old ones.

Just one more thing to add, the online learning is absolutely brilliant! The WebCT system is soooooooooo good and helpful. It really helps to get the best out of your studies.
Reply 16
Most universities use WebCT :P
Reply 17
notsoperfect

What absolute rubbish. UEL is better then middlesex, brunel, london met, greenwich and many others in london. I may not be enjoying my time in the law school but I find your reply totally incorrect. As for the league tables it is not at the bottom, depending on which table you look at it is as high as 71 out of 119.
Reply 18
UEL is down the road from me
anyone at barking campus?! thats like a 1 minute walk from me
Reply 19
DoubleOSeven
UEL is down the road from me
anyone at barking campus?! thats like a 1 minute walk from me

UEL no longer has a barking campus. I think it is used as student living rooms these days.