The Student Room Group

Best possible degree for Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not sure whether any online resources state so, but Imperial have introduced a brand new third year course starting from this year, called Monte Carlo Methods for Financial Engineering. I believe it's the only institution in UK that introduces Monte Carlo methods at such a high level within the BSc Maths programme.

It's quite advanced for a third year finance course (i.e. contains a lot of material you would meet in a quantitative finance masters), and is mainly taught for students going into derivatives (in particular exotic trading). Great foundation for that kinda stuff. For the course website, see http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~becherer/Course07MS15/index.html

For anyone wishing to do "Mathematics with Statistics for Finance", in my opinion I would stick with the straight maths course instead - that way you are not restricted in anyway with the courses you wish to choose. You can do any of the Maths and Stats for Finance courses, plus any courses in applied maths or mathematical methods which you may benefit from when doing some of the finance stuff. Something to keep in mind.
Best degree?

Engineering, apparently.
Imperial should chanage its name to Pimp*erial

* For IBs
Reply 43
Rickard.N
Btw: I am making Mathematics with Statistics for finance my firm, seems like a very good course.

Fair enough. Are you not going to wait for LSE's reponse?
Reply 44
malhotra
Best degree?

Engineering, apparently.

Honestly - can you read?

:rolleyes:

No seriously - CAN YOU READ?

The title to that thread reads as follows - look carefully...

"Topic: Are engineers more suitable for banking than management students?"

Just in case you were struggling there, I've bolded the key words for you.

Now stop being such a douche and stop trying to incite arguments.

Ourkid
Ourkid, what have you been up to on your Gap Year so far, and what have you got planned to do in the coming month before university? Anything interesting/useful? I ask this because I'm not contemplating the idea of a gap year. I probably won't go ahead of it, but I wanted an idea of what's out there.

:wink: Thanks
Ourkid
Honestly - can you read?

:rolleyes:

No seriously - CAN YOU READ?

The title to that thread reads as follows - look carefully...

"Topic: Are engineers more suitable for banking than management students?"

Just in case you were struggling there, I've bolded the key words for you.

Now stop being such a douche and stop trying to incite arguments.

Ourkid

Please dont use that word again :wink: the yanks on this years exchange program at IC have been non stop using this word and I dont want you, as a potential IC student to succumb to the 'douche bag' soc. Rep on way anyway.
Reply 47
Synergetic
Fair enough. Are you not going to wait for LSE's reponse?

I will wait, but I don't really care about the courses anymore, mathematics seems better than maths and eco...
Reply 48
diMo
Ourkid, what have you been up to on your Gap Year so far, and what have you got planned to do in the coming month before university? Anything interesting/useful? I ask this because I'm not contemplating the idea of a gap year. I probably won't go ahead of it, but I wanted an idea of what's out there.

:wink: Thanks

Hi,

So far I've been studying A level maths, which I took up as an extra. I need this for chem eng so I kinda had to, but was going to anyway.

I've been working as well as and when I can get it, but maths is really snowing me under at the moment, so I havn't really had much time for anything else. I've got to learn M1, M2 and half of C4 by the summer, which is going to be a bit of a close one.

If you can avoid a gap year then I'd suggest going straight to university, because you'll miss mates on your year out whilst their all doing their thing, you'll have to go and work or do something interesting. I was quite lucky in that a few took gap years or are in london so it's been pretty easy to meet up every week, even if it's just for a few drinks.

In hindsight, a gap year was a bad choice but if I hadn't I definitely wouldn't be getting offers from IC, so I guess everything works out (assuming I get my A). Might go on holiday later on after the exams but that's nothing amazingly interesting... :frown:

There is loads of stuff to do though if you are free of studying eg travelling, working, getting some experience, you can volunteer and do something nice for the world, or you can spend it like me improving your drinking skills. :rolleyes:

Please dont use that word again the yanks on this years exchange program at IC have been non stop using this word and I dont want you, as a potential IC student to succumb to the 'douche bag' soc. Rep on way anyway.

haha - yeah sorry I've been spending a bit too much time on ultimate-guitar - they love that word. I won't use it again :p: thanks for the rep :smile:

Ourkid
Ourkid
Hi,

So far I've been studying A level maths, which I took up as an extra. I need this for chem eng so I kinda had to, but was going to anyway.

I've been working as well as and when I can get it, but maths is really snowing me under at the moment, so I havn't really had much time for anything else. I've got to learn M1, M2 and half of C4 by the summer, which is going to be a bit of a close one.

If you can avoid a gap year then I'd suggest going straight to university, because you'll miss mates on your year out whilst their all doing their thing, you'll have to go and work or do something interesting. I was quite lucky in that a few took gap years or are in london so it's been pretty easy to meet up every week, even if it's just for a few drinks.

In hindsight, a gap year was a bad choice but if I hadn't I definitely wouldn't be getting offers from IC, so I guess everything works out (assuming I get my A). Might go on holiday later on after the exams but that's nothing amazingly interesting... :frown:

There is loads of stuff to do though if you are free of studying eg travelling, working, getting some experience, you can volunteer and do something nice for the world, or you can spend it like me improving your drinking skills. :rolleyes:

haha - yeah sorry I've been spending a bit too much time on ultimate-guitar - they love that word. I won't use it again :p: thanks for the rep :smile:

Ourkid

:rolleyes: Nice one, good advice. Reason I asked is im trying to cram in work experience with school so I can potentially avoid the gap year (for 2 reasons, 1: its harder to get back into education, 2: the fees are doubling in 2008, £3k > £6k). I went mad on Reed late last week & over the weekend, and the replies are flooding in now :wink:.
Fees have no chance of increasing until at least 2010.
Reply 51
Rickard.N
I will wait, but I don't really care about the courses anymore, mathematics seems better than maths and eco...

Yeah, I'm not sure if joint honours are very well respected anyway - and straight Maths at Imperial would be awesome.

Good luck.
Rickard.N

You want to be careful saying that kind of stuff around here, there are LSE people that would bite your head off. Anyway, congratulations because according to Shady Lane et al you have now committeed to atleast 3 years without ever seeing a single woman and having no sex by choosing Imperial over LSE :rolleyes: .
Reply 53
Any advice on the following please...

I'm thinking of switching course in yr 2. Assuming I do well this year and and 100% sure about IB what degree (from LSE) would be best to switch to? econ? maths and econ? BMS? Etc and why.

Btw I don't want to be a trader - more interested in corporate finance/M&A work.
Original post by Away from TSR

Original post by Away from TSR
Best degree?

Engineering, apparently.

Heard that also :smile:
Think of it as applied physics with a lot of maths.

In my 4th year o f MEng Mechanical Engineering at Glasgow, do not know what I want to do yet though...
Reply 55
Wharton mba
Reply 56
Economics.
*subscribes*
Would like to know the actual view on economics in IB, though if anyone cares to share. Thanks
I am a third year student who has landed 3 FO graduate offers at top tier IBanks this year, 2 in IBD, 1 in sales/trading. Some advice I can give:

Economics/Finance courses - attractive for IBD roles, also very good for markets but inclination of grad recruitment to push towards sales and research. To do trading you have to show your interest, can do so by concentrating on enthusiasm for fixed income and fx and can always move desks in future.

Mathematics courses - Excellent for trading and structuring but difficult for maths students to break into the industry as they find it harder to apply their theoretical studies into something useful. More difficult than Econ/Fin to get into IBD.

Engineers - Despised by econ/finance/math students but can do well in both IBD/Markets but find it extremely hard to compete with the above and usually dont have the know how or justification for their degree and the career. Just dont do engineering if you want a career in Investment Banking.

Unis - (From the students I have seen from personal experience for FO roles in IBanks) LSE/Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/Bristol make up most of the candidates.

Above all it is largely dependant on the individual, you can be at the best uni on the best course but not get a grad position at all or be in a lesser regarded uni/course and be at a top IB in a FO role.

If you get an place in any of the above unis for anything econ/finance/maths then you are in an extremely strong position to go into Investment Banking. Then its all about getting your apps in early and looking like you have a clue in the interview/AC process.
Reply 58
Original post by LivingItLarge
I am a third year student who has landed 3 FO graduate offers at top tier IBanks this year, 2 in IBD, 1 in sales/trading. Some advice I can give:

Economics/Finance courses - attractive for IBD roles, also very good for markets but inclination of grad recruitment to push towards sales and research. To do trading you have to show your interest, can do so by concentrating on enthusiasm for fixed income and fx and can always move desks in future.

Mathematics courses - Excellent for trading and structuring but difficult for maths students to break into the industry as they find it harder to apply their theoretical studies into something useful. More difficult than Econ/Fin to get into IBD.

Engineers - Despised by econ/finance/math students but can do well in both IBD/Markets but find it extremely hard to compete with the above and usually dont have the know how or justification for their degree and the career. Just dont do engineering if you want a career in Investment Banking.

Unis - (From the students I have seen from personal experience for FO roles in IBanks) LSE/Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/Bristol make up most of the candidates.

Above all it is largely dependant on the individual, you can be at the best uni on the best course but not get a grad position at all or be in a lesser regarded uni/course and be at a top IB in a FO role.

If you get an place in any of the above unis for anything econ/finance/maths then you are in an extremely strong position to go into Investment Banking. Then its all about getting your apps in early and looking like you have a clue in the interview/AC process.

Thanks for the info, just interested what University did you go to? What degree did you do? What kind of things were you getting into, to get in this area, work experiemce etc. and when? Last question the most important I think :smile:
Reply 59
I got into FO (S&T) with biosciences (and I'm not at Oxbridge).

One guy had multiple offers with a degree in theology!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending