The Student Room Group

Deloitte Vs PWC (Audit)

Hiya

Need some help. I've been offered a place on both PWC's and Deloitte's graduate audit schemes. I can't decide which one i prefer. I think they both seem nice - but I can't seem to find anyone to tell me what it is actually like to work for either company.

Already received PWC contract, but Deloitte are taking a long time so i'm not sure how much salary with Deloitte is. Does anyone know? I'll be in Audit in London. Also what is the difference with benefits/perks? Heard that you get a laptop and phone with Deloitte - is that the same with PWC?

If anyone wants to know PWC is £25,500 basic. and then a premium thing of around £900 which you can use to 'buy' benefits like healthcare.

REally need some advice, as i just want to accept a job asap!

Thanks!!
Reply 1
What kind of clients do you want to work for? I read somewhere taht PWC audits 50% of the FTSE 100 and a large proportion of the FTSE 350 so you'll have more chance of working with those sort of clients.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure the salary is going to be similar.

When you visited both of the firms, which one did you prefer and see yourself more comfortable in?
Reply 3
dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure Deloitte pay slightly more than that, probably somewhere between 26,500 and 27k.

I know with deloitte that you get a laptop and a phone, i assume that you would get the same with PwC, and to be honest there isn't going to be much in the benefits/perks between the two of them.

I know that Deloitte offered graduates last year a £7k interest free loan which you then paid off over your first 3 years in order to get you started, not sure about PwC, and Deloitte will give you an interest free season ticket loan if you have to travel into work, again i assume PwC may do the same.

One difference between the two is that Deloitte have larger Consulting and Corporate Finance divisions so if you wanted to move into them later then I guess you may be better there, but on the flip side, i think PwC have a larger audit team.

To be honest, they're both good places to work, the clients will be similar at each.

Go with where you want to most, money, prospects etc will all be pretty much the same.
Reply 4
Yeah I'd say the decision should be down to business culture, which firm do you see yourself fitting into? The two firms offer almost identical benefits packages, salary, qualification/training and opportunities to work with big clients - if you've interacted with staff from both firms you'll probably have noticed the subtle differences in the types of people who work for the respective firms.
Reply 5
ICD
OP
heya

thanks for the replies. The problem i'm having is that i thought that both companies seemed nice. Heard that Deloitte are a bit tighter re: employer benefits, but other than that i'm still at a loss.

One aspect i'm thinking of is that i'm quite interested in working in the audit bit for financial services - i'm under the impression that i'll work with bigger clients with PWC in that area - can anyone confirm?

Also anyone out there with the basic Deloitte salary figure for London? Deloitte are taking forever to get back to me with the Offer day stuff...oh yeah has anyone been to one? What is it all about? PWC seem content with sending the info pack.

thanks again!
Reply 6
pwc audits about 50% of the FTSE 100 companies. i think that says it all in terms of their clients
Reply 7
Financial Services at Deloitte has a fair few big clients, Abbey, RBS, Merrill Lynch are all audited by Deloitte. PwC has Goldman and no doubt several other big clients so either way you will work with large clients. One thing here, is that to a certain extent, it doesn't matter which company you work for, to a certain extent you won't get to choose your clients and so may end up on smaller finance firms at times, particularly to start with.

Not sure exactly how much Deloitte pays but its around 26-27k, if they have already accepted you, then theres no halm giving them a call to ask for you need to know.
Reply 8
Hi ICD

Congrats on ur offers. Likewise I got offers for Deloitte and PwC in Birmingham. I cant speak for London packages, but for audit here the packages on offer from both were extremely similar, so it really is up to which firm you get a better "feel" for really.

One difference in the packages is that Deloitte will give u a mobile from the outset, whearas PwC will only do so a little later in ur career (when u'll most likely be making numerous business calls), in any case PwC reimburse for business calls made on your personal mobile - so I wouldn't attach any signifcance to this aspect.

The signficant difference for me was that PwC have a company car scheme from the outset, which Deloitte doesn't. So if you don't already own ur own car that may be something for u to think about.

Like you, I found Deloitte to be a bit slow during the recruitment process and with actually sending out my contract. PwC on the other hand were slick slick slick - everything was handled swiftly. I found Deloitte to have a very "corporate-y" feel, with PwC - despite being larger - friendlier and more personable. As you can tell from the tone of my post, I accepted PwC and have found this to be true on starting too.
Reply 9
ICD
OP
hey everyone thanks for your advice...leaning towards PWC more than Deloitte at the mo- but just to check am going into the offices in the Easter...anyone out there with any other info?
thanks xx
Reply 10
To revive an old thread. Am i right in thinking that pwc pay grads bonuses for ACA exam passes whereas deloitte don't?
hey!
I don't think this is relevent to this topic but i would like to ask that whn do i get a reply once i've had my assmnt cntre! i have had deloitte asmnt cntre on thursday n i havnt got a reply yet! is it a gud thing or a bad thing?
Reply 12
I found out the day after my assessment centre, but they are meant to reply within 72 hours i think. Not necessarilly a bad thing tho as pwc took about 10 days to get back to me. Think it just depends on when the partner and recruitment team can get together to sort it out.
Reply 13
fubu
Yeah I'd say the decision should be down to business culture, which firm do you see yourself fitting into? The two firms offer almost identical benefits packages, salary, qualification/training and opportunities to work with big clients - if you've interacted with staff from both firms you'll probably have noticed the subtle differences in the types of people who work for the respective firms.

Care to elaborate on this?:confused:
S_J_P
I found out the day after my assessment centre, but they are meant to reply within 72 hours i think. Not necessarilly a bad thing tho as pwc took about 10 days to get back to me. Think it just depends on when the partner and recruitment team can get together to sort it out.

Thnakx...tryin to get hold of sum1 frm the grad. rec. but its diff to talk to any1 der! no1 seems to pick up der fnes! hmmmmm.....but thnkx again!
i m worried cuz 2 oda ppl wid me at the assmnt cntre got der offers d nxt day n i havnt heard frm em since, but lets see ...
Reply 15
yasir_adeel
Thnakx...tryin to get hold of sum1 frm the grad. rec. but its diff to talk to any1 der! no1 seems to pick up der fnes! hmmmmm.....but thnkx again!
i m worried cuz 2 oda ppl wid me at the assmnt cntre got der offers d nxt day n i havnt heard frm em since, but lets see ...

Hi,

I also had my a/c recently and have yet to hear.

Have you or S J P heard from them yet?

I am wondering whether they call those who have been accepted on the same day or day after and email those who didn't get in with the 72hours.

:s-smilie:
its been a week now, n i havnt heard frm Deloitte yet! i call them everyday to check whats goin on but i get different reponse each time! Yest they said that their system was down! I asked em if its a gud thing or a bad thing that i havnt heard from them n dey said it does not work like that and its jst a matter of whn the recruitment team and the partner sit together and discuss it! My interview dint go that bad i m hopin for a positive reply but lets see! Gud luck to blue_piggy! when did u have ur assmnt cntre?
Reply 17
I heard the next day from deloitte. I got told they usually have a meeting at the end of the day to discuss who to accept but if your partner went on holiday or has been out of office for the last week then they wont have had a chance to have the meeting yet. I wouldn't keep calling them every day, you don't want them to reject you because you have annoyed them too much. Leave it a week and if they still haven't got in touch phone back.
yeah i guess so! but u knw whn u waitin for a reply for a week u do get impatient esp. with a firm like deloitte! its a dream job (for me at least)! i think i'll take ur advise n wait till dey get back to me! Thankx! :wink: