The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Audley's 'found' his 'spirituality' lmfao!

On the night, coming accross to normal Joe, most people probably wanted Danny to lose. But it is Audley that is the celebrity with all the talk. Danny had no respect for him as a boxer, and rightly so. To all the boxing fans, we all know who we wanted to win.

As Klinsmannic said, post-interview by Audley was shocking. In a way, I hope he falls flat on his face, and you'll never see me getting behind him with that type of attitude, just like you won't see me getting behind Scott Harrison, Mayweather, Judah and no doubt more!

It was also interesting to hear the referee thought Winky Wright as the best boxer he has refereed. Great fighter, but would love to see him take on Calzaghe.
walshie
Audley's 'found' his 'spirituality' lmfao!

As Klinsmannic said, post-interview by Audley was shocking. In a way, I hope he falls flat on his face, and you'll never see me getting behind him with that type of attitude, just like you won't see me getting behind Scott Harrison, Mayweather, Judah and no doubt more!

It was also interesting to hear the referee thought Winky Wright as the best boxer he has refereed. Great fighter, but would love to see him take on Calzaghe.

Fraudley is so pretentious lol...does he still listen to Japanese music before his fights?! Williams faught at a week's notice, and suddenly Audrey reckons he's worth a title shot in 2007, and that he'll be unifying titles in 2008! :eek:

Winky wright is great to watch, i agree. Lots of options open to Calzaghe after he destroys Manfredo...Taylor would be the best fight from the purist's perspective. He had a good win over Ouma over the weekend, I've only seen short highlights, but by all accounts he was dominant. I've always rated him, and I think his speed will be a good match for Joe.
Fraudley Harrison has teamed up with Frank Warren of all people lol! His interviews today were a blatent attempt to try and win the public over again.
Reply 103
Can't believe Warren is stupid enough to take him on! I thought Frank was a man of honour lol ;laugh;

No great fights coming up either, although Mr 'ancient' Eastman is fighting tonight who I fancy to win. If he doesn't - career over for good.
Reply 104
Any Miguel Cotto fans here? Apparently Antonio Margarito vs Miguel Cotto has been confirmed for 9th June. If so, it should be an awesome fight. I'm a big fan of Cotto. He's a mature athlete, has great footwork and hits like a truck. The way defeated Quintana was great to watch.
Reply 105
^ Wow, now that will be a fight to rival ODLH and PBF!
I fancy Margarito thoughl there's a reason why PBF doesn't want to fight him :wink:

Cotto is very good though, and I'm quite sure he'd cause Hatton severe problems should they ever appear in the same weight again.
Reply 106
I missed the Williams vs. Eastman fight last night. Is there any website i can go to to catch the highlights or even better the whole thing?
Reply 107
trixx
I missed the Williams vs. Eastman fight last night. Is there any website i can go to to catch the highlights or even better the whole thing?

^ lol - great quick response eh?
Eastman's a golden oldy - another shot at Middle coming shortly :biggrin:

Anyway - who watched the Hatton fight?

As always - was up with a few friends watching the fight. Ricky cruised through. There was only 1 round where he was beaten IMO - and that was the 6th IIRC. The whole fight was literally a walk in the park for Hatton who was incidentally a smaller man physically and height wise than Urango. Hatton basically gave him a boxing lesson, but Urango's muscle kept him up. His constant defence, gave him the 12 rounds. How he thought he was winning by throwing his arms up in the air after every round was a desperate attempt.

A lot of people will criticise Hatton for a poor display - but lets face it - he was never worried by a muscular IBF belt holder, and invariably you'll see great fights when 2-unifiers meet. Hatton is on his way to becoming an all time great. Just need Castillo out the way, who I've always liked (after basically seeing him beat PBF (but it not given)), and will fancy Hatton's chances against what is a washed up man I think.

He then needs a wonder fight against Cotto / Margarito / Mayweather - and he should call it a day. He doesn't need to prove anything else.

Also definitely making plans to see David Haye this year, wherever I can. If its the US, its the US. Pity Enzo fell through - and I can't help think that was ITV & Frank Warren's fault. I would of fancied Haye as well.

Anyway - British Boxing overall is looking very rosy with Witter/Calzaghe/Hatton/Haye/Marcarinelli/Arthur/S.Harrison/A.Khan.

I'm liking Klitchsko comeback as well :biggrin:
Heavyweight Boxing is alive again.
Reply 108
Yeah I watched it the fight with 5 other mates. I'd pretty much agree with everything you said. Having said that though, I had been drinking since 1:30pm until the fight was over so, you know.

I think if Hatton was to fight PBF, then he would almost certainly be out classed for 12 rounds. Floyd wouldn't knock him out, but he would give him a boxing lesson. In my opinion anyway.

I just wish Floyd would fight Margarito to shut all the doubters up. Some people really don't give him the credit he deserves.
Reply 109
walshie

As always - was up with a few friends watching the fight. Ricky cruised through. There was only 1 round where he was beaten IMO - and that was the 6th IIRC. The whole fight was literally a walk in the park for Hatton who was incidentally a smaller man physically and height wise than Urango. Hatton basically gave him a boxing lesson, but Urango's muscle kept him up. His constant defence, gave him the 12 rounds. How he thought he was winning by throwing his arms up in the air after every round was a desperate attempt.

A lot of people will criticise Hatton for a poor display - but lets face it - he was never worried by a muscular IBF belt holder, and invariably you'll see great fights when 2-unifiers meet. Hatton is on his way to becoming an all time great. Just need Castillo out the way, who I've always liked (after basically seeing him beat PBF (but it not given)), and will fancy Hatton's chances against what is a washed up man I think.

He then needs a wonder fight against Cotto / Margarito / Mayweather - and he should call it a day. He doesn't need to prove anything else.

Also definitely making plans to see David Haye this year, wherever I can. If its the US, its the US. Pity Enzo fell through - and I can't help think that was ITV & Frank Warren's fault. I would of fancied Haye as well.

Anyway - British Boxing overall is looking very rosy with Witter/Calzaghe/Hatton/Haye/Marcarinelli/Arthur/S.Harrison/A.Khan.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Diego corrales vs Castillo 1? It was an awesome fight.
walshie

How's it going Walshie?

I saw the Hatton fight on the BBC replay. Generally I agree with your analysis of the fight, although early on Hatton was caught a couple of times but that's to be expected. And you're right, people have been criticising Hatton for the display, but I don't think it's justified. It kind of reminded me of the Calzaghe Bika fight, skill against muscle, with Hatton in control. People are saying Hatton needs to cut down on booze and junk food, but I think for a fight like Castillo he'll train even harder and will win it imo.

British boxing looks pretty good, I still have hopes that Danny Williams will actually train, lose a couple of stone, learn how to punch again and come back firing this year. I don't think it's too late for him, if he still wants it that is.

Just thought I'd mention Muhammad Ali, who celebrated his 65th Birthday last week...the greatest heavyweight of all time imo. His on screen persona made him an even greater icon in addition to his boxing.
dr octagon
Out of curiosity, have you seen Diego corrales vs Castillo 1? It was an awesome fight.

Yeah, the epitome of toe-to-toe..great fights.
Reply 112
Klinsmannic
Yeah, the epitome of toe-to-toe..great fights.

Definitely. The Gatti-Ward trilogy was also very entertaining.
Reply 113
dr octagon

Good fighters the pair of them, although Corrales was always going to lose his last bout with Casamayor in my opinion. I always thought of Castillo as being that slightly bit better. Coralles got knocked down many times against PBF, where Castillo took him the distance twice (and one which as I say again, should have won).

Klinsmannic
How's it going Walshie?

I saw the Hatton fight on the BBC replay. Generally I agree with your analysis of the fight, although early on Hatton was caught a couple of times but that's to be expected. And you're right, people have been criticising Hatton for the display, but I don't think it's justified. It kind of reminded me of the Calzaghe Bika fight, skill against muscle, with Hatton in control. People are saying Hatton needs to cut down on booze and junk food, but I think for a fight like Castillo he'll train even harder and will win it imo.

British boxing looks pretty good, I still have hopes that Danny Williams will actually train, lose a couple of stone, learn how to punch again and come back firing this year. I don't think it's too late for him, if he still wants it that is.

Just thought I'd mention Muhammad Ali, who celebrated his 65th Birthday last week...the greatest heavyweight of all time imo. His on screen persona made him an even greater icon in addition to his boxing.

Not to bad at all. Feeling happier the more UG study comes to an end :biggrin:

Agree with you on the Bika/Calzaghe fight - thought Calzaghe did well with that. Bika was dirty, and very awkward. Don't think Urango was awkward, but rather, his sheer muscle over-whelmed Hatton sometimes - but this isn't a competition of who has the most muscle - its who's the better boxer, and Hatton outclassed him. I found love for Danny Williams, after initially disliking him after his non-appearances. But he got his game together, asked for support from the British public, and got it. People enjoy his boxing because he has that heart. He actually came to my university (QM) to demonstrate a few things (along with his religion). He allowed students to punch him into his stomach from what I ascertained. (I very unfortunately could not be there that day).

I think Danny needs to call it a day if I'm brutally honest. I felt his last fight was determined by the cut, and him being potentially stopped by TKO. So he had to go for it, and Audely was there for the pickings, although Audley did look more serious - maybe it took Danny and McGuigan's harsh words to bear some form of seriousness - so both should be credited with Audley's return.

Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) 65th eh? He will be forever in the awe of every fighter on the planet. I just remember that moment when he was sign-pointing to George Bush that he was cuckoo lol! He can get away with his cheekiness as he's that great a man; akin perhaps to Nelson Mandela.

Anyway - some good fights coming up:
- Calzaghe v Manfredo
- Mayweather v De la Hoya
And I want Haye and Enzo damn it! or Haye and O-Bell will do of course :biggrin:
Reply 114
'- Yet another boxer arrested…

Undisputed Cruiserweight Champion O’Neil Bell was arrested in Big Bear, California after assaulting his training partner, Larry Slayton.

37-year-old Larry Slayton, was helping Bell train for his March 17 rematch with Jean-Marc Mormeck in Paris, France. Slayton claims that Bell became angry with him during a workout session in the woods, and threw a hatchet at him. Bell was carrying the hatchet for protection against bears. At that point Slayton ran as Bell allegedly began to pelt him with large rocks. Arden Wiltshire, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, said that Deputies found Slayton with cuts from running through the brush and “fearful for his life.”

He is currently out on bail… '

Interesting. This is from KOcorner.com btw.
LOL at Audrey Harrison

I was laughing so much the moment he was KO'd. He deserves everything he gets, and all credit to Sprott who now gets the chance for a big pay day at last. Audrey is probably the most hated figure in British boxing, and I doubt he can do much to reverse the damage he's done to his career. I couldn't believe my ears when he said after the fight how he was fit to continue but the ref wouldn't allow it, even though he was out cold for a good 2minutes after the punch...he's delluded lol.

Well done Amir Khan, he's stopped jumping around in the ring now, so looks like an accomplished fighter. Could do great things in early 2008. Also Earl-Katsidis was a tremendous fight, worthy of fight of the year already imo!

Hatton Castillo is official...will be a fantastic fight, and hopefully Hatton can finally get what he's due.
Reply 116
Fraudley Harrison - I started this whole thread with him. See #Post 1. That sums it up really :biggrin: - na he should retire. After his win against Danny, he was off gobbing again - he just never learns.

Castillo v Hatton is the biggest fight of the year. I agree with Hatton when he said Maywaeather / De Lay Hoya will be a chess match. Mayweather in no way resembles excitement. The Americans don't think much of PBF in regards to entertainment anyway - that's why they endeared Arturo Gatti to them. Looking forward to seeing a respectable Brit up there rated as a great pound for pound fighter though after no doubt a duplicate fight as Tszyu/Hatton. Castillo is good though - and I rated him high a few years back - but I think he's aged a bit, and Hatton will pick him off. I don't think that would of happened few year back.

edit: ironically #post 35 talks about this possible fight: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4756127&postcount=34

Amir Kahn continuing up the glory scope. He'll beat anyone in the lightweight division. He looks to have immense power, something that half that division doesn't have. I want to see him in light welter and welter after 20+ fights and a championship belt at lightweight. More in it for him with better fighters. He can do it as well being 5'11ft and pretty damn muscular.

Oh - another thing. Junior Witter - he really has to earn some respect before gobbing off as well. I wish him luck I really do, but coming out and saying Hatton's past it is a bit disrespectful. I just want him to go about his business, and he will automatically earn the respect of people without having to ask for it. I don't think Hatton's avoiding him, but rather Witter isn't exactly top draw at the moment even with his belt. I do hope they get it on within the next 2 years though :smile:
Reply 117
To add to that Walshie, Zab Judah Vs Miguel Cotto should be a good one. If Zab Judah turns up focused and fully prepared, he could potentially box the crap out of Cotto. But i'll still go with Cotto on this one. I don't think Judah can turn up with the same confidence that he had against Spinks. Cotto will wear him down.
The most exciting night of boxing so far this year, tomorrow. Well done ITV for bringing prime-time boxing back to terrestrial.

Calzaghe to win by KO. He'll be looking to put on a show for the US audience, and i don't think Manfredo can handle Calzaghe's hand speed or his boxing brain. I'll say a 6th round stoppage.

Amir Khan, Maccarinelli, Takaloo, and Cook to also do the business.
Calzaghe will bang this guy out earlier, I reckon.

I agree with you on the rest, also.

Latest