The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well I have no personal experience of those places. Although I have applied to both NTU and Lincoln myself. I have heard NTU has a very good reputation for Graphic Design with the AD&D and all those other competition things. I've heard that Lincoln runs a good Graphic Design course, but I also have spoken in person to a student who applied at Lincoln for Graphic Design, but when she went there, she found it was a bit too much computer-based, and less getting your hands dirty, which doesn't really leave much room for experimentation, which in turn creates more original work, due to your own hands being in contact with your work compared to mostly mouse pointer. If you get what I mean.

I hope that's understandable.

~Jay
BluEyze
Well I have no personal experience of those places. Although I have applied to both NTU and Lincoln myself. I have heard NTU has a very good reputation for Graphic Design with the AD&D and all those other competition things. I've heard that Lincoln runs a good Graphic Design course, but I also have spoken in person to a student who applied at Lincoln for Graphic Design, but when she went there, she found it was a bit too much computer-based, and less getting your hands dirty, which doesn't really leave much room for experimentation, which in turn creates more original work, due to your own hands being in contact with your work compared to mostly mouse pointer. If you get what I mean.

I hope that's understandable.

~Jay

cheers mate that really helps, been to look at ntu and its amazing! going to look at lincoln next week so can make my mind up then. thanx again :biggrin:
Reply 3
I applied to Lincoln & NTU, and declined my interview at NTU because I already had decided I wanted to go to Salford. Silly reason really, but I was fed up with interviews and knew I'd like Salford. Heh. Anyway, Lincoln seemed really good when I went, I loved the university, the work & the area and it was going to be my first choice, but I felt more 'comfortable' with Salford - at Lincoln I simply got an offer with no interview or viewing of my work, and I thought that was a bit dodgy. Also, I think I would've got bored at Lincoln, to be honest.

NTU definitely has a good reputation though, I would say better than Lincolns :smile:
Reply 4
charmed_one1987
cheers mate that really helps, been to look at ntu and its amazing! going to look at lincoln next week so can make my mind up then. thanx again :biggrin:

Oh cool, let me know how it goes! I've applied to both of those also, but I haven't heard from either of those yet. They're the only two I haven't heard from yet. I keep checking track to see if they've rejected me. I fell in love with NTU right at the start of my course searching, just through the website and stuff, lol, but that was probably through excitement of going to University although it really does seem like a great place. I'd like the opportunity of an interview there. And a look around of course. I think I'm gonna really like DMU. The thing is, if I'm going that far, I'd really like to have a car, but I've noticed that pretty much all the Universities I've applied to have no car parking for students. Unless there's some hidden somewhere.

~Jay
Reply 5
I've also applied to Norwich for Graphic Design. and I've got a few friends there. Norwich is my first choice!

One who is doing Graphic Design.. he love's it, also another friend is doing Visual Communication and she really enjoys it there.
Reply 6
Hey guys! just thought id address an issue mentioned above.
Im on the Ba graphic design course at lincoln in my 2nd year. and i can honestly say i hardly touched a computer in my first year. I definately did not do alot of work on computer then. So dont worry there is alot of hands on stuff. P.s you wont get bored. There seems to be an never ending amount of work, all different.

And ive also heard thats it one of the best courses in the country. I think it was voted 8th in a top ten in sum art magazine.
Reply 7
Thanks for that. Which courses were in the top 3 then...? :smile:
nottingham has a very decent graphics faculty, i know a lot of people applying there. it isnt one of the best institutes for graphic design, but prospects are fa better with a degree from there
katz23
Hey guys! just thought id address an issue mentioned above.
Im on the Ba graphic design course at lincoln in my 2nd year. and i can honestly say i hardly touched a computer in my first year. I definately did not do alot of work on computer then. So dont worry there is alot of hands on stuff. P.s you wont get bored. There seems to be an never ending amount of work, all different.

And ive also heard thats it one of the best courses in the country. I think it was voted 8th in a top ten in sum art magazine.

aww... good. i was glad to read your post because i'm going to do graphics at lincoln and although i love working on Macs. i also like putting hand made elements in my work.

soo

cool :smile:

Latest