The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

space_aura
i have no idea...something to do with the chemicals perhaps..the ones that burn the plaque away?

can anybody shed light?!

It does the job somewhat, but i think it's partly because they want you to think that.

I use the aquafresh one at the moment which seems to do alrite without any sting... so i guess they could take it out/chage it if they wanted to...
Reply 2
It's the combination of alcoholic ingredients and menthol. The tingling feeling is your cells' reaction; the bacteria in your mouth also react, but by dying. That's how it works. The bacteria are the little buggers that create the plaque and give off horrible smelling gases. I have to say I used Listerine again this morning for the first time in ages and it does sting like a bitch, my eyes were watering something chronic. I recommend Dentyl myself. You can see all the gross little bits of crap that have come out of your mouth :bebored: :biggrin:
Reply 3
it shows its working, you get used to it after a while

use it everyday at uni, i recommend it
Reply 4
I wonder how effective Listernine etc is
Jennybean
I recommend Dentyl myself. You can see all the gross little bits of crap that have come out of your mouth :bebored: :biggrin:

i heard somewhere that thats just a marketing gimmick they have added a chemical to it that dyes or swells the stuff to make it more visible, it doesnt work any better than any other mouthwash. Also it tastes vile
Reply 6
Cadre_Of_Storms
i heard somewhere that thats just a marketing gimmick they have added a chemical to it that dyes or swells the stuff to make it more visible, it doesnt work any better than any other mouthwash. Also it tastes vile

Well I'm sure that is true, but it does still work in a completely different way to other mouthwashes. None of the others have the electrostatic thing, they just kill off bacteria. Dentyl does both. I don't work for them, honest...
Reply 7
Yeah, killing off the cells lining the inside of your cheeks :p:
Listerine stings so that you think it's working.

Same reason that toothpaste foams.
Reply 9
It's to prevent people from swallowing it.
Reply 10
it's blasting away the bad guys!
I think its the alcohol in listerine which makes your mouth sting, which is actually *good* for your mouth, but it makes you think its working. Just like someone has said with the dentyl one, the gunk you see when you have used it just makes you think its working, its not really much better or mowrse than one which doesn't do that. Tbh, there are going to be good and bad things with all of them, I normally just use one which doesn't taste too foul and leaves my mouth feeling fresh but not like I have just removed half my cheek lining!!
Reply 12
sim90
It's to prevent people from swallowing it.

Why would you want to swallow it? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Ooohhh, I stopped using Listerine after I tried it once and it stung like *****... I thought there was something wrong with me. But if it's normal then I can start using it again. :P Would you people say it's effective?
Reply 14
howsoonisnow
Ooohhh, I stopped using Listerine after I tried it once and it stung like *****... I thought there was something wrong with me. But if it's normal then I can start using it again. :P Would you people say it's effective?

Definitely, much better than brushing alone. And it should sting a little, no pain no gain, if it stings like crazy though, you've probably got gingivitis or something. It shouldn't hurt that much.

brimstone

It's not a bad idea to gargle it and then swallow a very small amount, this should coat the back of your tongue and throat area, which is rank generally. Don't swallow more than a tiny bit though, it's not meant to clean your stomach :smile: although it probably wont do any lasting damage.
Reply 15
According to Freakonimics, Listerine was originally used as a surgical equipment cleaner, a floor cleaner and then for gonnarea before someone thought they'd use it as mouthwash.

An interesting fact for you there, children.
Reply 16
brimstone

I would be more likely to swallow mouthwash if it tastes good than if it doesn't. :wink:
It's a great way to finish off brushing your teeth and makes up for the eternal guilt of not brushing for the full 2 minutes! Plus I quite like the taste :biggrin:
Reply 18
it is a test of will if i can keep it in for the recommended 30 seconds.
space_aura
i have no idea...something to do with the chemicals perhaps..the ones that burn the plaque away?

can anybody shed light?!

think listerine is bad? try corsodyl mate...that stuff is horrible...:frown: