The Student Room Group

whats is better ACA or ACCA and why

hi

i asking what is better ACA or ACCA and why

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ACA because of the prestige.. those who do the ACCA cannot call themselves (although they probably do) chartered accountants. They are infact a certified chartered accountant.
Reply 2
They are the same. There are infact plans to merge them into one name.
Killer7
They are the same. There are infact plans to merge them into one name.

ACA and CIPFA (or was it CIMA?) wanted to merge at one point - I haven't heard anything on ACA and ACCA merging - can't see it happening anytime soon either.
andy_1989
ACA because of the prestige.. those who do the ACCA cannot call themselves (although they probably do) chartered accountants. They are infact a certified chartered accountant.

These days they'll generally do the same sort of jobs. Your general accountants or auditor can do exactly the same job and be ACCA or ACA)
Reply 5
both are very similar ACA goes more in depth ACCA has a broader approach but both allow you to audit.

just to note CIMA doesnt allow you to audit but is more for industry !
Reply 6
Clubber Lang
These days they'll generally do the same sort of jobs. Your general accountants or auditor can do exactly the same job and be ACCA or ACA)

Yeah I agree, there is little if any difference in what they do, its just, would you wanna be called a chartered accountant or a certified chartered accountant?
Reply 7
In this day and age they are effectively the same thing.

ACA and ACCA both qualify you go be an auditor - CIMA/CIPFA etc. do not.

ACA is more respected due to the fact that its older and has a slightly harder exam system(apparantly) where as ACCA adopts a modular approach.
andy_1989
Yeah I agree, there is little if any difference in what they do, its just, would you wanna be called a chartered accountant or a certified chartered accountant?

An average joe on the street probably wouldnt know the difference.

People are more used to the term charted - but somem ight think the certified aprt adds something extra?

Most practices I have talked to all have a mixtured of people from both sides working there.
Reply 10
In the profession the chartered qualification is seen as more prestigious than the ACCA - it basically comes down to snobbish attitudes about the people who enter for the different qualifications. More graduates do the ACA than the ACCA, so there is a perceived difference in the caliber of students doing the two qualifications. Generally the Big 4 will enter you for either the CA or ACA exams, and if you fail them and they don't decide to kick you out, then they'll enter you for the ACCA instead.

There have been several attempts to merge the different accountancy bodies in the UK in the past, but they've all failed. ACA's don't want ACCA's to be able to use the same credentials as they do, and CA's don't want ACA's do be able to use their credential. It's pretty stupid really, but if you were to rank the 'prestige' of the various qualifications available in the UK it'd probably go something like: CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA.

The thing is if you want to be an auditor, it makes little difference whether you have the CA, ACA or ACCA. You might just come across a partner or two who has snobbish opinions about the relative merits of certain qualifications.
Reply 11
Exactly, snobbery is rife in Accountancy, most of the partners will be conservative/upper class types and seen as all of them probably did ACA they're very quick to make opinions on other qualifications.
There is no actual difference between the two qualifications apart from the fact that the ICAEW is provincial in its scope (ie. England and Wales) whereas the ACCA is a global accountancy body. I have trained at KPMG on the ACCA scheme because I want an international career with a relocation to Australia in the not too distant future, but if you are happy living and working in Britain then the ACA qualification is highly regarded.

In terms of entry requirements you will find that for the big firms they will ask for similar academic achievements. For example, I have three good A levels (AAB) and a 2.1 degree in Accountancy and Finance from the London School of Economics. Whichever route you take expect to have to study hard in your spare time in order to qualify as all the CCAB qualifications are deemed to be equivalent to a masters degree.

Andy-1989 is incorrect to state that members of the ACCA are not entitled to refer to themselves as chartered accountants. The ACCA obtained permission from the Privy Council to use the chartered title back in 1996 to reflect the fact that this body had been awarded a royal charter. (Prior to this members of the ACCA were known as certified accountants.) However, the ACCA prefers its members to call themselves chartered certified accountants in order to set itself apart from the other chartered accountancy bodies.

Salary levels and career progression are exactly the same for all chartered accountancy bodies and will depend entirely on your ambition and personal ability.

The following link gives statistical analysis of the chartered accountancy bodies within the UK and has been prepared by the Financial Reporting Council:

http://www.frc.org.uk/images/uploaded/documents/5th%20Edition%20Key%20Facts%20and%20Trends%20Final090807.pdf
Hi

can someone please help me?

i have been offered the acca by my employer but ive been told about the aca by other people. i am very confused after ready all the comments by different people as to which is the best qualification. I have currently just finished my aat and am looking to study further. Can someone please explain which is the better option. Can acca and aca offer the same job prosepcts/salary after qualifying?

should i take my employer up on the acca or look for a aat-acca fast track?????? HELP.
there are plenty of posts on this forum and all over the internet over the differences of the ACA and ACCA.

One htign I will say is that if your current employer is offering you the ACCA on a plate then it might be a risky tiem to be turning it down to look elsewhere.
Reply 15
can ask something? i want to qualify as an ACA! which Bsc is best for me? Economics at Nottingham or Accounting and finance at warwick? thanks!
Reply 16
paps
can ask something? i want to qualify as an ACA! which Bsc is best for me? Economics at Nottingham or Accounting and finance at warwick? thanks!

Either - both very good. Regardless the Big4 do not place a huge importance on uni/course anyway.
Reply 17
as above they are practically the same in terms of content,

they are both chartered, you can both Audit Accounts (only CIMA you cant)

and

they are held equally in industry,

the most important thing is the experience you get,

for the above, accounts and finance degree will help you more as you will cover stuff that will appear again in the chartered exams,

but please note that, the chartered exams are alot harder than a degree in accountancy and finance !!!
Reply 18
Do ACCA unless you don't mind having mental breakdowns.
What about doing CIMA instead? Seems relatively simple

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending