The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nope, the only people that would know are your teachers maybe they will give you a little bit of a hint. I've found mostly similar stuff has come up each year just make sure you get the planning question done for at the end, it's 6 very easy marks that alot of people throw away :smile:
Reply 2
thanks atleast someone replyed i am just so much worried about this practical exam coz i havnt revised anything of unit 1 & unit 2 so i though it might help if someone would have any clue told to them by their teachers....
any help would be appreciated........ thank you
physics is really easy if you can get your head around it, really not much to remember atall just a few equations tbh
Reply 4
My teacher told me to know these 4 things for the practical.

1: How to measure with a micrometer
2: Moments
3: Marble experiment
4: Electricity (i think he meant the potential divider)
Reply 5
lamenter

What do you mean by a marble experiment? Is it to do with SHM?
Reply 6
That is all i was told. It was a silly test where you roll a marble down a board into a sand pit. You measure the board and how fast it takes for the ball to fall down. All i know is that you need to know trigonometry.
Reply 7
lamenter

Marble as in density?
Reply 8
Marble has in mess around with this

My teacher hasn't even talked about the practical exam imagine my shock when I see the date of the exam:eek:
Reply 10
Could you please elaborate on the marble experiment? Thanks.
Reply 11
Are you talking about the AS or A2 practical???
Reply 12
heey... well in my class.. we're too many so there are 2 groups.. but im in da 1st as i have my bio exam da next day... well he told us to revise these fings (he just guessed which practicals can come by the equipment asked to buy by edexcel):
question 1 part a: moments for mass.. measuring volume, mass and density.. use of vernier caliper or micrometer...
question 1 part b: electrical.. equations of ohms law, resistance and resistivity.. u have to find relationships between quantities to find constants and comparing the % diff of the constants... and learn bulb V-I graph and all
Question 2: Mechanics... ramp practical.. measuring time, height and distance... energy of Ke and Pe... GPE=mgh etc...
well da thing is... i dont know what to revise.. i mean.. on a weekend at home?.. with no equipment or anyfing?... so if any1 knows any good way to revise or learn for this exam.. please help me.. or if u have any good revision technique for the bio W1 alternative paper or chem practical... plzzz.. thnx a lot..
Reply 13
amit_007
heey... well in my class.. we're too many so there are 2 groups.. but im in da 1st as i have my bio exam da next day... well he told us to revise these fings (he just guessed which practicals can come by the equipment asked to buy by edexcel):
question 1 part a: moments for mass.. measuring volume, mass and density.. use of vernier caliper or micrometer...
question 1 part b: electrical.. equations of ohms law, resistance and resistivity.. u have to find relationships between quantities to find constants and comparing the % diff of the constants... and learn bulb V-I graph and all
Question 2: Mechanics... ramp practical.. measuring time, height and distance... energy of Ke and Pe... GPE=mgh etc...
well da thing is... i dont know what to revise.. i mean.. on a weekend at home?.. with no equipment or anyfing?... so if any1 knows any good way to revise or learn for this exam.. please help me.. or if u have any good revision technique for the bio W1 alternative paper or chem practical... plzzz.. thnx a lot..

Combining with what i have heard and what you just told us. I think we found out what the exam is about.
Reply 14
Is this an A2 or AS discussion?
Reply 15
Amit 007 wat do u mean by

"u have to find relationships between quantities to find constants and comparing the % diff of the constants"
Yeah, I've been told the same for my Edexcel AS Practical. It seems pretty much:

Marble rolling down a board - using trigonometry (Sin Cos Tan) to find/show the height of the board, and the angle it makes. Also using a micrometer to take 3 measurements of the marble in x, y and z directions and then take an average. (This site is good for help with micrometers: http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/Micrometer/Micrometer.html)
remember density=mass/volume
Know that Grav. Potential = mgh and Kinetic = 1/2mv^2 (^2 means squared)

And basic circuits: Measuring current/voltage. Pretty much just remember Q=IT, V=IR and maybe P=IV. Also R=resistivity x L/A.

Yeah just remember to double check units, read every question twice, and always show what you're doing to make it accurate ie, take 3 readings and show average.

Good luck
Reply 17
Can some please just summarise their predictions of what is in the AS Edexcel pratical on the 16th please.
YOU GUYS ARE LIFE SAVERS! our teachers haven't hinted 1 thing and i was panicking in circles not knowing what to study or do i havent started guess i will now...xox
am in teh 2nd group though on the 17th any body have an idea whats coming then? thankyou ...