The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They generally last 4 weeks, if you get one you have to tell them if it's gonna be any longer, but should really be no longer than 6.
I did one in a research lab at Manchester University last summer, found it really worthwile and gave me a lot of skills that I otherwise wouldn't have gained without it.
I did mine in physics, though turned out to be more technological than anything. I found it looked really good on my personal statement too
Reply 21
ahh, I spent a month in an Engineering Dept in summer '05 (oh, the memories!) with my project based on frisbee flight :biggrin:
it looks super on UCAS and I don't mind doing something that aids my CV and yet also pays me (however little!) ^_^

also, I'd suggest to aim for a CREST award. so that your work has recognised value!
Reply 22
ixivxivi
Any one got a reply from them yet, or know when people normally get replies?
I'm still waiting :frown:

It can take some time..but you should be hearing soon now, hold tight!:biggrin:
CVan i still apply for this??
ixivxivi
Any one got a reply from them yet, or know when people normally get replies?
I'm still waiting :frown:

i heard through my teacher who phoned them that I have a bursary but they havent found a scientist yet! :s-smilie: :frown:

on the original form it said they should tell you by the 25th May, oddly i haven't received any news directly from them, I'm worried :frown:
Reply 25
Yey! Got a letter from them (bizarrrely the day right after I'd emailed off panicking enquiries) & induction meeting thing next week.
Reply 26
Hopefully people won't get angsty at me for posting in an oldish thread, but how's everyone's projects going? How d'you reckon writing up the report's gonna be?
Reply 27
How is it going ixivxivi?
What's your project about?
I was reading their website yesterday, does anyone know if it's possible to do one whilst at uni? or is it just for school leavers?
Reply 29
There's ones for people who are doing undergraduate degrees. Here's the link; http://ww.21stcenturyscience.org/go/grants/nsbur/page_412.html
Reply 30
Lou_
How is it going ixivxivi?
What's your project about?

It's gone by rather quickly (I've got through 2 of the 6 weeks already), and is a nice way of spending my time, even if I do seem to end up making endless dim-witted gaffes.

The project itself is a little ill-defined. I think the bit I'm going to be writing up is an experiment looking at which domains in two yeast proteins interact with another protein (a form of myosin). The idea behind the type of experiment is quite pretty (but I'd rot my brain in attempting to explain it :frown:).

Are you doing a project, Lou? If so, what's it about?
Reply 31
Oooh it sounds quite good.
Are you going to do biology at uni?

I'm not doing one. I was going to do one and I found 2 that really interested me but there was a big confusion with the application forms and then me and my teacher had trouble contacting the co-ordinator person. And in the end after all that it was too late to apply for my chosen projects :frown:

Good luck Havokiba. I hope you manage to find a project!
Reply 32
That really sucks, both for Lou and Havokiba, although I'd still recommend Havokiba to have a go emailing some scientists in areas you're interested in and asking them if you could do some work experience in their labs (this is the whole reason I managed to get my project - I'd got a work experience in the Oct hols in the same place). I think quite a few might be quite happy to take you on (it's the whole unusualness of school kids being into science, I reckon), but that'd be wageless.

Are you going to do biology at uni?

Nope - Biochem :cool:, well results depending... :s-smilie:
i did one of these projects last year. mine lasted 6 weeks and i got paid 420 pound. i went to the SAC labs and my project was on cattle lameness. my unis really lyked seeing it on my cv as not many pepol did it and in interviews they told me it made me stand out amongst other applicants. i had a great tym and would recommend it to any1 wif a free summer
Reply 34
ixivxivi
That really sucks, both for Lou and Havokiba, although I'd still recommend Havokiba to have a go emailing some scientists in areas you're interested in and asking them if you could do some work experience in their labs (this is the whole reason I managed to get my project - I'd got a work experience in the Oct hols in the same place). I think quite a few might be quite happy to take you on (it's the whole unusualness of school kids being into science, I reckon), but that'd be wageless.

Nope - Biochem :cool:, well results depending... :s-smilie:

I hate waiting for results :frown:
What uni are you hopefully going to?
Reply 35
Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully Oxford, with Bristol as my second choice.

Latest