The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any of the schools under the Public Schools Act 1868, which includes Charterhouse, Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Westminster etc... and i'm very bitter that i wasn't sent to one of these :biggrin: as a good 50% of my family were.
Reply 41
I think there are many elitist schools. For example Eton, Wycombe Abbey, Benenden, Downe House and Marlborough. Maybe Tonbridge and Harrow but not as much.
Reply 42
AisAis
Is it just me that has a part that feels incredably jelous when they see that's what some people have as a school when you think of your own?

Just be glad that you had your education in the real world. :wink:
Reply 43
Lidia
Just be glad that you had your education in the real world. :wink:

I am :smile:
Social - Eton

Academic - Westminster/Winchester

My daddy has got lots of money but I'm a thicky - Le Rosey (Swiss Millfield)
abrp
sorry but MTs, Rugby and Fettes are in no way "elite".

oooooooh ...and Le Rosey looks nice. might send my kids there :tongue:. btw no one gets into Oxfrod from Le Rosey :

http://www.rosey.ch/en/htmlScolaire/universitesOrientation.html

Actually Fettes is quite elite. James Bond went there :wink:
big deal :p:
Le Rosey, Phillips Andover, Eton...

Le Rosey looks very neat though :p: I prefer to get the state to pay for my education (I've mooched most of 2 years of university off them!)
it has to be eton for me, i was on the register but my dad a tight beggar
so i went to a normal private school(nottingham) and i thought i was on top of the world
but wats up wit le rosey, are they taking the michael

The public school act is biased to schools in the south, becoz in the 19 century they didnt like to clever scottish people running the country (gordon brown)

love capitalism, we are dicussing the most posh school amd a few threads below people are talking about not getting their EMA.
Reply 49
I would argue that the three schools you earlier specified "Harrow, St Pauls and Eton" are all elitist only in the sense you need to have a lot of money to attend them. Harrow is not massively academic however, and even Eton is always below St Pauls in the school league tables, so only really St Pauls is a challenge to get into for the bright. None are particuarly exclusive anymore in terms of social class; you only need to pass an entrance exam to get in. They are exclusive only as far as you need to be able to pay the fees, which admittedly excludes the vast majority of people,
Kelv
Eton, they made few pupils prime ministers.

haha nice point.... lol my former high school Royds Hall had a Prime Minister :biggrin: although it was a craphole when i was there :biggrin:
Reply 51
Le Rosey is :eek:

Personally if my parents had an extra £30K a year rolling around and they chose to send me to school with it, I'd be worried. If you're intelligent, you'll excel wherever you go. If you're stupid, then no amount of money is going to change that.
Reply 52
Vincente
I've always found grammar school students to be like this.

Well I go to a Grammar school, and most of the pupils here are scallies, not rich kids at all. In fact, 2 thirds of my year qualify for EMA.
ur from liverpool
Reply 54
To the best of my knowledge, Eton. I mean, those kids are just from a different planet - no concept of reality at all.
Reply 55
hermaphrodite
ur from liverpool

Yeah so?
Eton. Something like 90% of their school leavers go to oxford or cambridge :O
Reply 57
Eton, definitely. Someone seems to have vandalised the Wikipedia page on Eton too: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Eton_College&diff=137702683&oldid=137353576 .
kimoso
Yeah so?

#so more W/C people therefore more likely to be eligible for EMA.

wouldnt surprise me if the % of people eligible for EMAs at a grammar school in kent or surrey was circa 10%
Reply 59
Well I go to a Grammar school, and most of the pupils here are scallies, not rich kids at all. In fact, 2 thirds of my year qualify for EMA.

Don't know about you but this is my experience from Colchester grammar school, Chelmsford Grammar and Reading school.

Latest