The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
im so close to my offer i can taste it! but now im getting worried that i could miss it by the narrowest of margins! i can't wait for exams to be over.
i still haven't done that photo!! must do it soon!!!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
brownbear
im so close to my offer i can taste it! but now im getting worried that i could miss it by the narrowest of margins! i can't wait for exams to be over.
i still haven't done that photo!! must do it soon!!!

Take a bit of advice from an old fogey: never get too complacent! I knew I could go into most of my exams and do quite badly and still pick up the As I needed, but I figured it wasn't worth the risk and worked hard enough to make sure I got high marks in all my exams. It paid off, and it meant I wasn't worrying too much after the exams but before the results. I'm sure you'll be fine, and have every reason to be confident, but don't leave it to chance. Lecture over.:wink:

(Feel free to ignore the rant, I'm just miffed cos I'm revising and it's sunny outside. Roll on May Week!)
datr
You're awfully confident. :tongue:

To be honest I cannot wait to escape Glossop to just about anywhere else....

Think I may have sent two sets of photos to Cam by mistake - I put some in an envelope with the address and a stamp and then lost it somewhere in school. So I emailed them a set and I think someone may have posted the envelope...

Gadget: Nope, I got a bit worried, but its been ages now so I dont think confirmation is coming...

brownbear
Im getting worried that i could miss it by the narrowest of margins!

*Joanna*
never get too complacent! I knew I could go into most of my exams and do quite badly and still pick up the As I needed...

Yeah, think Im guilty of this too....
Reply 123
GordonP
To be honest I cannot wait to escape Glossop to just about anywhere else....

:ditto:

BTW did you apply to Durham for maths? I'm trying to decide between Durham and Warwick for my insurance.
No, I went to an open day and got the feeling that they would struggle organising a booze up in a brewery so decided to pass on Durham. So Warwick's my insurance.
Reply 125
*Joanna*
I'm not really sure why we have ducks as we have no water at all, not even a pond! I'm also surprised Pebbles hasn't eaten them.

haha we should start giving those ducks commission, they are amazing. last year they paraded round in perfect single file, about 11 of them. I have a feeling pebbles is vegetarian. it would make sense, given he's such a weird cat anyway.

btw hi everyone, i'm priya, i'm supposed to be on my year abroad but that's nearly over (and writing on here is a better dissertation distraction than facebook!)
Reply 126
I've got a conditional offer for History at Sidney next year. So, what's it like? Anythings to watch out for? Are gowns worn much (for Formal Hall, for example)? What's Freshers week like?
Chiron
I've got a conditional offer for History at Sidney next year. So, what's it like? Anythings to watch out for? Are gowns worn much (for Formal Hall, for example)? What's Freshers week like?

Sidney is a brilliant college. Though of course, I may be a little biased. The only downside is its small size (coupled with Siditious) means that gossip spreads quite fast! But meh, you can put up with it.

Gowns are worn for matriculation; the ceremony, dinner and photograph. Also for formals, which are great fun. People usually go to those for birthdays or for a big piss up at the end of term. And start of term come to think of it. And also I know some people that wore it to go and see Harry Potter at the cinema.

Freshers week is what you make of it. There's lots going on, but it's not a full week. Plus you'll have DoS meetings and things. But there's a comittee that organise things like a speed dating-style breakfast, pub crawl, er....I can't remember now. Oh yes, there's the University Freshers Fair with all the societies so you can sign up for various emails and information. And lots of societies have squashes (little party things) to get you interested. The Sidney boat club one is quite good (and rather alcohol fuelled!). I'm waffling rather a lot, so I'll stop. Basically you'll get a big pack when you get your exam results and there will be more information in there!
Reply 128
Excellent, can't wait! Looking forward to walking about in a gown!

I'm looking forward to seeing what societies are on offer. Might like to take up something new (if I've got the time).
I want to adopt a duck. They're out in full force. There were two asleep on Chapel Court lawn today. Very cute.
Reply 130
Chiron
Excellent, can't wait! Looking forward to walking about in a gown!

I'm looking forward to seeing what societies are on offer. Might like to take up something new (if I've got the time).

You'll definitely have time. You won't be constrained to do anything at a serious level either, if you don't want to. I would have died without extra-currics, especially last year.
Reply 131
Hopefully I'll be at Sidney this Oct for postgrad diploma in economics. :smile:
Reply 132
awesome, grads at sidney have an awesome time - they're usually in the bar far more often than the first years....
Reply 133
priya
awesome, grads at sidney have an awesome time - they're usually in the bar far more often than the first years....

I was more excited about Cromwell's head, actually... :p:
edders
I was more excited about Cromwell's head, actually... :p:

There's a really freaky replica of it in the Old Library. I was sat right opposite at the Master's buffet thing at the start of our first term and it's eyes, or lack of pupils, were horrible!
Reply 135
*Joanna*
There's a really freaky replica of it in the Old Library. I was sat right opposite at the Master's buffet thing at the start of our first term and it's eyes, or lack of pupils, were horrible!

Haha, yes, it's more the idea than the object I find appealing... :smile:
I imagine Sidney's gardens are rather nice in the sunshine?
edders
Haha, yes, it's more the idea than the object I find appealing... :smile:
I imagine Sidney's gardens are rather nice in the sunshine?

They're beautiful. :biggrin: I like the 'secret' one at the back where you have to go through a hole in the hedge to get to it. And big up the ducks. I've not seen any babies yet though. :frown:
Reply 137
Hi Lilia,

I'd say sidney is a great choice for picking the MML course, as you get a lot of support from your college DoS and tutor with regards to guidance and extra help you might need - there have been numerous times when I've requested extra supervisions (for revision etc) on certain topics which the department didn't provide, and college were very willing to let me have those. Sidney has one DoS for people doing 1st and 2nd year, and another one for those on their year abroad and doing finals. Both are lovely and really friendly and approachable, and won't intimidate you at all.

In terms of atmosphere/tutors etc, a lot of stuff with MML is organised through the faculty, so it's not necessairily down to college choice whether you get certain supervisors etc. We do have a german Lektorin and a French Lectrice, so if you're studying either of those you will be supervised, as least for oral and some translation work, by them. Language classes (for all langs) are organised centrally, so you'll have little choice over who you get. Most people are nice though (so I've heard?!)

Let me know what you're thinking of studying - bigger subjects like french, german, russian etc have more college organisation than say, italian, which is completely faculty based, so specifics info will probably give you a better idea of what it's like. In terms of atmosphere, sidney generally take between 6-8 modern linguists (though this can vary) so we're a fairly sizeable bunch in a small college!
has anyone any pictures of first year rooms and kitchens?
Hiya everyone

Sorry to barge in but I wondered if anybody had any helpful information about Sidney. I was in Cambridge on Saturday and it seemed like a good college to be at. I am also coming to a summer school at Sidney in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking about applying for SPS and wondered if anyone here takes it at Sidney???

Quick Reply

Latest