The Student Room Group

Jobs for 15 Year Olds

What Jobs can 15 Year olds get for the summer? Also what's the min wage for a 15 year old?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this might help a bit http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/
Reply 2
There isnt a Minimum wage for 15 year olds, so theoretically they can pay you whatever they like.
Are you 15 but turning 16 before september? That will open up more possibilities to you.
Reply 3
Nope, Im 15 till May 08.
I'm 15, i work in sports world...if u want to work when you are under 16 you need to get an employment liscence form from your school or local concil then your school, parents and the company you are going to work for has to sign it then its sent off and you have to wait to see if u get a liscence

Hope that helps
Reply 5
Littletiger21
I'm 15, i work in sports world...if u want to work when you are under 16 you need to get an employment liscence form from your school or local concil then your school, parents and the company you are going to work for has to sign it then its sent off and you have to wait to see if u get a liscence

Hope that helps

How much do you earn in sports world?
£3.30 AN HOUR... its rubbish i wouldnt recommend it
Whsmith take 15 year olds
Reply 8
isabella19
Whsmith take 15 year olds

I've handed in my application form... so... we shall see!
Reply 9
Sainsburys take something like 15 Years & 3 Months
Reply 10
how about working in a hotel doing housekeeping? i know some people who did that at 14.
orrrr theres always washing up in pubs, some cafes or pubs may take you on as a waiter/ess..glass collecting and whatnot
Reply 11
When I was 13 I lied about my age (said I was 14) and worked as a dish pig in a tea room all summer. I wouldn't recommend it I was COVERED in burns and the older girls bullied me.

When I was 14 I worked as a cleaner for a while on a holiday park. The pay was more than I get now (I'm 18) but the work was horrible, I quit after my manager screamed at me because I refused clean up human waste which was smeared on walls.

From 14-15 I worked as a waitress in a 3 star hotel on £4.50 an hour (near what I earn now) which I really enjoyed.

Now I'm older I work in a pub!

Smaller businesses are usually happier to take you on than companies because of insurance and stuff. I don't know about this notes for working but where I grew up no one really gave two tosses about the law (its a rural area so you get a job because so and sos dads cousin recommended you and stuff) so you probably should get one.
Reply 12
megamouth2
I've handed in my application form... so... we shall see!

How did you apply?
where you get the linsence from?
Reply 13
how do you get the license thing, that the person who works at sportsworld mentioned? :confused: it sounds complicated :s-smilie:
Reply 14
I worked in a shop which was beside a beach when I was 14, selling things like ice creams, sausage rolls, teas, coffees etc. However, I was probably made to do more than I should have been expected to- I was paid very little and the owners spent a lot of time sitting outside enjoying food etc. But yeah, probably jobs in cafes or little shops like that would be the best bet for someone of that age.
i really need a job, i was 15 in october and i was wondering where i would actually be able to work legally, dont really want to get a paper round..
In a shop would be besttt

And where do you get the working liscence application?
You local council should be able to put you through to someone that deals with the license. I am amazed your school haven't been through the options with you. My sons 14 in march & his school had someone come in & talk to them about work, pay, etc & gave them booklets & the license form. Unortunately for my son, a paper round is the only thing round here at the moment. x
Reply 17
This is what the official government website says:

http://direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_066272

Basically, if you're 15 you're legally only supposed to be working 2 hours a day during weekdays and Sundays of term time, and 8 hours on a Saturday. During the holidays you can work 8 hours a day.

It depends what kind of thing you want to do though - and what you're prepared to do. If you're doing stuff like car washing, or DIY jobs for people, or things on the computer like data entry, then it's pretty hard for people to say you're doing too much. If you try applying for a job with a big company, then chances are they'll be more strict with the working times.
I asked my teacher about getting a job and he said that he would see what the restrictions were and about the licence.
Me and my friend are going to into town tomorrow and see where we can apply to work

Will post the shops that allow us to apply LOL

:smile::yep:
Reply 19
How did you get on Jacob?

Quick Reply

Latest