The Student Room Group

An Archaeology splinter sub-sub-forum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Does anyone know some very good books that will introduce me to classical archaeology?
Reply 161
Tomber
The change of name confused me for a sec there:p:

Catsmeat?

Haha, sorry!

He's a character from P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster series (an aristocratic twit).

Cic: A good place to start might be looking at the Cambridge World Archaeology series as they publish on a wide range of subjects in very good volumes. Apart from that, you could try either Greek/Roman art history (Looking at Greek vases Rassmussen and Spivey, perhaps).

A lot of research these days is looking more and more at provincial Roman/Greek archaeology as opposed to the antiquarian popularity of architecture etc, but have a shufti on Amazon or university reading lists.

Anders Andren's "Between artifacts and texts" also covers, in part, classical archaeology.
Reply 162
Thanks! :smile:

I also had another question:

Is A2 Classical Studies and A2 Ancient History the same course? (Obviously with different boards)
Reply 163
The only area I feel really competent to recommend in is looking at the Roman Empire in Britain. The best book about Romanisation from an archaeological perspective is Martin Millet's 'The Romanisation of Britain', and if you want a more historically based approach to this issue(though still written by an archaeologist), the best current book is David Mattingly's 'An Imperial Possession, Britain in the Roman Empire'.

Catsmeat

He's a character from P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster series (an aristocratic twit).

Ah of course, I knew it was familiar from somewhere :p:
Reply 164
Tomber
The only area I feel really competent to recommend in is looking at the Roman Empire in Britain. The best book about Romanisation from an archaeological perspective is Martin Millet's 'The Romanisation of Britain', and if you want a more historically based approach to this issue(though still written by an archaeologist), the best current book is David Mattingly's 'An Imperial Possession, Britain in the Roman Empire'.

I might have a look into those. What's your particular slant on the nature of the recent playing down of Romanisation as a dominant force of cultural/economic dominance over the native Brits?

I've been more and more convinced that any diffusionist models are quite lacking in evidence, really, seeing as that there is much, much evidence for the importance of European Iron Age cultural influence overriding that of Romanisation before the invasion...it's a shame that Primary School history lessons seem to drill into you at a very young age the notion that the Brits were lacking any discernable culture and were economically deflated, but it was the role of those machinistic Roman clerks and administrators who kicked the nation into shape. Bah. Although we can hardly expect the average Primary School teacher to have a sound grasp of Proccessual archaeology, I suppose...

Tomber
Ah of course, I knew it was familiar from somewhere :p:

I'm jolly glad that it seems Wodehouse is still quite popular :smile:. Have you read much of his other work? I've got a Blanding's omnibus, but I havn't had the chance to dip into it just yet...
Reply 165
sorry for the late input =p, I'm going for archaeology and physical geography at hull, i was going to Bradford but due to un for seen circumstances hull it is =D
Reply 166
Hull University is very nice.
and not too far from home for Dr. Mager :wink:

Bout an hour, hour and a half on a good day?
Reply 168
yeah thats one of the main reasons im going there =D, huzzah
yay! I didnt look round, I'm bored of Grimsby and Cleethorpes and needed a change of scenery :p:
Thanks for the rep, whoever repped me!
Reply 171
I had a right old Indiana Jones adventure at the Museum the other day...clambering around in the cabinets, climbing over our Iron Age house. Madness.

I do work there, so it's okay. We were photographing and measuring our collections (most of it having been arbitrarily accessioned between the 1870s - 1930s) and this involved much careful clambering.
How is everyones summer?

Enjoying the sun? or rain as it might be :p:

4 days to germany!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 173
My summer is windy, wet and grey so far with the occassional bout of sunshine.

Although in a few days I'll be digging in Buckinghamshire which should drive away the dullness no end.
Reply 174
Good stuff! :smile: What time period you looking at?
Catsmeat
My summer is windy, wet and grey so far with the occassional bout of sunshine.

Although in a few days I'll be digging in Buckinghamshire which should drive away the dullness no end.

Oh dear, thats english weather for you!! :hugs:

enjoy your bucks dig :smile:
Reply 176
Magickal_Faerie
Oh dear, thats english weather for you!! :hugs:

enjoy your bucks dig :smile:

I suppose we get acculturated to it.

Thanks!
Catsmeat
I suppose we get acculturated to it.

Thanks!

Is that the legendary Dan Cruikshank in your avatar?
Reply 178
Agrippina
Is that the legendary Dan Cruikshank in your avatar?

Well spotted.

I miss him from terrestrial television; I say we need more of that monument-rubbing fop.
Reply 179
I spent all of yesterday afternoon looking for a wall from our resisivity survey and, two minutes before we stopped, we found it. Talk about damned bad timing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending