The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I should point out they don't especially sound like either of those bands :p: Best ignore that post. :p:
Reply 81
Heavy is good but if it's all fretboard ******* then i'm not gonna be too impressed, lets put it that way.
SmilerNuts
Heavy is good but if it's all fretboard ******* then i'm not gonna be too impressed, lets put it that way.

lol nah, DT are awesome in every way! guitarring, drumming, singing, etc, etc...
Reply 83
Is the singing all horrible and high pitched by any chance?

If i listen to DT for you guys, then you have to do something for me: listen to The Blackening by Machine Head. It's stuck in my stereo at the moment, it's ridiculously heavy and addictive and they can play well technically too
SmilerNuts
Is the singing all horrible and high pitched by any chance?

If i listen to DT for you guys, then you have to do something for me: listen to The Blackening by Machine Head. It's stuck in my stereo at the moment, it's ridiculously heavy and addictive and they can play well technically too

oh god no! their singing is normal and quite emotional too :smile: just go listen to them and I'll give that song a listen too.
I heard a new Machine Head track on a magazine cover CD recently, it was good but I found it didn't really stand out that much.
Oh, a new one. Rock and metal makes up a relatively large chunk of my CD collection. Mainly metal though. Summary of my metal tastes:

Black metal - Of the misanthropic variety. Old school Norwegian (in particular Mayhem), the new have French stuff (such as Blut Aus Nord; I'm not talking LLN which does not deserve the legendary status), and American stuff (Leviathan, amongst others). A few of the classics also.
Death metal - Of the technical variety. Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Psycroptic, etc. Also of the old school variety, Autopsy being the undisputed kings of this.
Grindy stuff - Carcass, Carcass, Carcass. Some other stuff too.
Prog metal - Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Kamelot etc. I can handly power, provided there is a strong prog leaning to it.
Thrash metal - Crossover thrash mainly. Destroyer 666 are as good as it gets for me.

Rock-wise:
Post rock - My favourite just now. Godspeed You! Black Emperor still hold the title for me.
Prog rock - Porcupine Tree, Rush, what have you. Nothing beyond the standards here really.
Reply 87
SunburnedCactus
I heard a new Machine Head track on a magazine cover CD recently, it was good but I found it didn't really stand out that much.

Really? what track was it?
Maybe takes a few listens but once you get into it, it's mindblowing :smile:
Reply 88
ad absurdum
Oh, a new one. Rock and metal makes up a relatively large chunk of my CD collection. Mainly metal though. Summary of my metal tastes:

Black metal - Of the misanthropic variety. Old school Norwegian (in particular Mayhem), the new have French stuff (such as Blut Aus Nord; I'm not talking LLN which does not deserve the legendary status), and American stuff (Leviathan, amongst others). A few of the classics also.
Death metal - Of the technical variety. Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Psycroptic, etc. Also of the old school variety, Autopsy being the undisputed kings of this.
Grindy stuff - Carcass, Carcass, Carcass. Some other stuff too.
Prog metal - Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Kamelot etc. I can handly power, provided there is a strong prog leaning to it.
Thrash metal - Crossover thrash mainly. Destroyer 666 are as good as it gets for me.

Rock-wise:
Post rock - My favourite just now. Godspeed You! Black Emperor still hold the title for me.
Prog rock - Porcupine Tree, Rush, what have you. Nothing beyond the standards here really.

Hey, welcome to this new one :smile:

Just gonna leave some random comments about your music taste i think.
The genres are generally pretty good.
Death metal huh? The new Nile album is supposed to be pretty damn good, while Behemoth and Decapitated always raise a smile.
Black Metal - not that big a fan. Cradle of Filth and Emperor are good, as are Dimmu Borgir (if you call them black metal) but nothing else has really caught my eye.
Thrash - You like Municipal Waste? apparently trying to bring crossover back (baby got back :cool: )
Reply 89
Darkened Angel
lol nah, DT are awesome in every way!

lol incorrect - their lyrics are frequently terrible
Reply 90
conoraq

example of?
conoraq

You think? The ones I've looked at so far have been really good, imo Petrucci is an excellent lyricist! And Portnoy is quite good too. I've only look at the lyrics from Train of Thought and some of the new album so far though. And a few from Images and Words but not in much detail.
Can you give me an example of bad lyrics?
Reply 92
images and words had good lyrics, as did scenes from a memory and change of seasons, but from 6 degrees onwards theyve just detracted from the music
SmilerNuts
Does that not rule him out of being a student then? :s-smilie:

I am still a student, i just use my student loan for a more worthwhile cause than alcohol and takeaways, i also work weekends to get a little extra cash, the Label i work on mainly in the evenings and my free afternoons. i have no free time. and im female!

I absolutely adore epic, heavy, progressive music.. but i cant stand Dream Theater or anything similar... i just find it cheesy and incredibly boring..

Post-rock is goood :biggrin:
Reply 94
SoundDevastation

I absolutely adore epic, heavy, progressive music.. but i cant stand Dream Theater or anything similar... i just find it cheesy and incredibly boring..

Post-rock is goood :biggrin:

I can't think of a band that fulfills the criteria of epic, heavy and progressive better than Dream Theater...

Post-rock is a faaaad
Reply 95
SmilerNuts
example of?

lol yes sorry, to be more precise: In The Presence Of Enemies Pt.2 - "My soul is yours Dark Master, I will fight for you" - I mean like, wtf?!
Reply 96
Ok it sounds bad like that but if it was in context of a song it might be slightly better??

What's post rock? seems to be a bunch of bands labelled with that but there's never any consistency with it
SmilerNuts
Hey, welcome to this new one :smile:

Just gonna leave some random comments about your music taste i think.
The genres are generally pretty good.
Death metal huh? The new Nile album is supposed to be pretty damn good, while Behemoth and Decapitated always raise a smile.
Black Metal - not that big a fan. Cradle of Filth and Emperor are good, as are Dimmu Borgir (if you call them black metal) but nothing else has really caught my eye.
Thrash - You like Municipal Waste? apparently trying to bring crossover back (baby got back :cool: )
I don't have the new Nile album yet unfortunately :frown: But the one before that, Annihilation Of The Wicked is the best out the ones I've heard, so if they've built on that I'd be more than impressed. I'm a big fan of Decapitated and Behemoth too, especially Behemoth who seem to be incapable of producing something bad. I quite like Municipal Waste too.

conoraq
lol yes sorry, to be more precise: In The Presence Of Enemies Pt.2 - "My soul is yours Dark Master, I will fight for you" - I mean like, wtf?!
Some of the lyrics are really really bad. It doesn't ruin the album, but it comes bloody close.

SmilerNuts
What's post rock? seems to be a bunch of bands labelled with that but there's never any consistency with it
There isn't any consistency with post-rock, because everyone seems to define it in their own way. The popular misconception with post-rock is that it's labelled as a genre, which isn't true in my opinion. Post-rock is more of an ideology, as the name implies it's a new direction of rock thats being born out of a genre that's beginning to stagnate. Post-rock bands are generally characterised by neo-classical or minimalistic style music played by a rock band. The definition of the style for me is Godspeed You Black Emperor!, who play minimalistic post-rock (and very ****ing well too).

Because it's more of an idea than a genre, it can be difficult to classify a band as post-rock because there aren't any solid boundaries for it. But sometimes it's easier to pretend it is a genre, and when you say post-rock people generally accept this as GSYE!, Pelican, etc.
There is consistency to post-rock.. alot of people say theres too much consistency!

Post-rock is characterised by long, epic, usually instrumental songs... the standard rock line-up though often with classical instruments (strings and piano are common) or electronics. The most recognisable feature is the song structure... always consisting of quiet interludes that slowly build up into passionate climaxes. Strong focus on soundscapes and atmosphere... its often used as soundtracks to movies etc.

EDIT: ok my description differs from above!! id also differ in mentioning Pelican as a post-rock band. They have written post-rock albums, but as a band they really are more post-metal.

Godspeed, Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky and A Silver Mt Zion are pretty much the defining bands id say.
Reply 99
Would ...Trail of Dead count as a post-rock band?

Yeah, was listening to some Satanica stuff by Behemoth and was rather impressed it must be said. Decapitated are one of the best Death Metal bands at the current time i'd say. Obituary are pretty decent too.