The Student Room Group

Foods that cause spots

I no what you are thinking... chocolate but what foods do actually cause spots? Also if there are foods that cause spots there must be food that prevents them does anyone no which foods stop them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.acne-advice.com/articles/get_rid_of_acne.shtml This site reckons...

"Foods to avoid include:
Dairy products (milk, cheese, cream, yogurt etc)
Refined and cooked carbohydrates (flour, bread, rice, crisps and chips, sugar etc)
Cooked fats (fried food, hydrogenated oils, roasted nuts)
Meat (beef, pork, chicken, lamb etc)
All the above foods are acid-forming in the body. If you really want to get rid of acne, you need to eat more alkaline-forming foods -- fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts (sparingly) and seeds. The foods to avoid listed above also cause a sluggish digestive system. If food travels too slowly through the body, toxins build up and aren't carried away by the usual processes and are expelled via the skin, causing acne."

I also read that chocolate being a particular spot-causing food is actually a myth. http://www.bupa.co.uk/members/asp/tng/spots/
Reply 2
If you can't eat all of that what can you actually eat for a proper meal?
Reply 3
It's a myth that foods cause spots. They don't. There are good foods for spots (like fruit and veg) because they will have vitamins and minerals that you may be missing (which may lead to spots), but no foods actually cause spots. Including chocolate.
Reply 4
Well how can I treat my acne then I use tea tree oil as treatment but it seems to have caused a lot more redness then the cream I used to use which made my skin red but very dry.
Reply 5
Fatty foods cause spots - any take-aways, ready meals etc etc etc. Just eat healthily and your skin should be fine / better
Reply 6
I have ready meals every day except weekends. Does anyone no the best ready meals that do not cause spots. Please don't just say dont eat ready meals.
Reply 7
No foods cause spots, but a lack of fruit, veg, water, the right vitamins and minerals will.
Reply 8
Is it true veg oil causes spots?
Reply 9
bunthulhu

"Foods to avoid include:
Refined and cooked carbohydrates (flour, bread, rice, crisps and chips, sugar etc)
All the above foods are acid-forming in the body. If you really want to get rid of acne, you need to eat more alkaline-forming foods -- fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts (sparingly) and seeds. The foods to avoid listed above also cause a sluggish digestive system. If food travels too slowly through the body, toxins build up and aren't carried away by the usual processes and are expelled via the skin, causing acne."

I also read that chocolate being a particular spot-causing food is actually a myth. http://www.bupa.co.uk/members/asp/tng/spots/

hmmm i found that when i stopped eating dairy my skin was a lot dryer and 'duller' (like, less glowy if you know what i mean). Now that i'm back on dairy, i'm getting my youthful dewyness back!

i know that's not really a spot thing, more of a skin texture thing, but the dairy thing really surprises me!
Reply 10
I usually drink loads of milk but since I have been getting spots I have changed to drinking water whenever I would have drank milk and it has made no difference neither has tea tree oil treatments.
Reply 11
Ready-meals have so much rubbish in them why would anyone want to eat them every day. Hmm that's just me, but for a better diet with no spot-causing foods, don't buy them. I know you said don't say that - but it's the truth if you want spot-free skin.
Reply 12
Eat more fruit and veg. Raw if you can. Living on ready meals will mean you are severely deficient in a lot of vitamins and minerals, and that will show in your skin.
If nothing else, try to take some vitamin and mineral supplements.
drink lots of water, eat enough fruit and veg, have a simple facial routine (cleanse, tone, moisturise) using products which arnt too hard on your skin, and try not to touch your face too often. You could also try changing your pillow case more reguarly.
Reply 14
Chocolate definetely does give me spots. My skin looks so much better when I've been eating well and drinking lots of water :smile:
Reply 15
There is no proven correlation between spots and diet, though everyone should try to follow a good diet for general wellbeing.
Reply 16
bunthulhu

"Foods to avoid include:

I eat literally all the above on a regular basis. I'm the complete polar opposite to spotty... my skin is far too dry. I've had about 20 facial spots in my entire life and I'm not far off 20. I have one now actually... and its driving me nuts
Reply 17
Supposedly there's no evidence that drinking lots of water improves skin...but I think that's wrong, drinking water definitely helps.
Reply 18
Laika
Supposedly there's no evidence that drinking lots of water improves skin...but I think that's wrong, drinking water definitely helps.

Your casual observations being more accurate than scientific experiments, I suppose?
Reply 19
Poica
Your casual observations being more accurate than scientific experiments, I suppose?

I like to consider myself a scientist in my own way.

Quick Reply

Latest