The Student Room Group

The Guide to UMS/Raw Mark Conversion Thread............

- So Basically To Put a Long Story Short.......I Have Searched The Forum & Cannot Find How To Find This Information Out as Specific Examples are Used :frown: ...........

Therefore................

(a) This Thread Can Be The 'Ultimate UMS/Raw Mark Conversion' Thread - Where Everyone Can Ask For Specific Help.......

or

(b) If Someone Would Be Kind Enough To Give a General Guideline (if there is one) on How To Figure This Out It Would Be Much Appreciated......(i.e. do you have do ask the exam board for the conversion tables etc, or is there a simpler way of finding out a rough estimate???) :s-smilie:

- The Reason I Ask is I Want To Get Some Re-Marks Done & Want To Know How Many Marks I Need To Get a Particular Grade..........

For Example, Edexcel Economics A2 I Got 464/600......Meaning I Need 16 UMS to Get an A (well i think that's right anyways lol)...........However Does This Mean I Need 16 Marks (as in question paper marks) or Less/More Than the 16 UMS Score Needed..........:confused:

Sorry To Be So Confusing, Its Just That I Want (and for others) To Be Clear When Making Any of These Decisions & Therefore Be as Much Informed as Possible :smile: ............Thanks For Any Advice Given as It Much Appreciated :tsr2:
Already a really useful thread here titled 'ALL ABOUT UMS: How to convert UMS scores into raw scores (and vice versa)...'
You can approximate using the examiner report at the end to find the ratio of raw marks to ums marks....but it is a approximation. You would need to go to your subject teacher as they are given your RAW marks as well as your UMS marks with the grade boundaries for each.

Ask for it politely, they may not want you to look at it because it has the results for everyone in the year!
Mustard-man
Already a really useful thread here titled 'ALL ABOUT UMS: How to convert UMS scores into raw scores (and vice versa)...'

:rolleyes: *wonders through searching how i didn't see this lol*

Thanks for the help mate.........at least if anyone else is in this situation they can get the information more quickly/straight forward manner now :smile:

EDIT: That thread above should REALLY be sticky'ed with the amount of people it will help out!!
OK i still don't understand this............:confused:

By the looks of that thread you need the Raw Marks which i don't have (i'm sorry if i'm wrong i just don't understand it lol :smile: )

Basically in Economics Unit 6 For Edexcel.............

A = 62/100 (Raw Marks).....96/120 (UMS)
B = 55/100.....84/120
C = 48/100.....72/120
D = 41/100.....60/120
E = 34/100.....48/120

Basically the information i have is that........

(a) In Unit 6 i have got 70/120 (UMS) which = a D (which i am sure of that i did not do this badly in)

(b) I have 461/600 (UMS) Overall........Therefore i need 19 UMS marks to get an A

However.....My Question is....

(1) How Many Marks Do I Need My Unit 6 Paper To Increase By to Get That A Grade (i.e. those 19 UMS Marks)???

- I'm sorry for being so long about this, its just i want to know whether getting a re-mark of this paper will realistically give a chance of getting an A :rolleyes:

Thankx for any help given, much appreciated :tsr2:
Reply 5
You do realise that UMS to Raw is subjective? As in UMS never changes but the raw mark needed to get that UMS DOES change. It changes with each year depending on how well as a country everyone does. There is no magic Raw Mark to UMS conversion.
insparato
You do realise that UMS to Raw is subjective? As in UMS never changes but the raw mark needed to get that UMS DOES change. It changes with each year depending on how well as a country everyone does. There is no magic Raw Mark to UMS conversion.

(a) could you explain what you mean by that i'm still a little confused in my situation lol??? :s-smilie:

and

(b) i just wanted to know what a realistic chance i would have (1) the grade going up by how many marks i need and (2) whether i should therefore spend 30 pound on getting a re-mark...........i just thought as Terrafira produced a thread like he/she did that it would be me SOME SORT OF ROUGH estimation at least or some sort of help
Reply 7
You cant make a rough estimation thats my point.

19 UMS could be anything between 13 - 25 marks and that depends on what paper you're getting marked and how many marks that exam is out of. To be honest getting a remark i dont think you'll make up 19 UMS.
insparato
You cant make a rough estimation thats my point.

19 UMS could be anything between 13 - 25 marks and that depends on what paper you're getting marked and how many marks that exam is out of. To be honest getting a remark i dont think you'll make up 19 UMS.

yea i have given that information in the post above ^^^^

i just don't think how on a paper that i know i was capable of getting a B on (fair enough not an A) that i could get a D!!!!............i mean you can loose 40 marks on the paper and still get a A.......to get a D i must have lost like 50-60 odd marks which i seriously don't think is the case :s-smilie:
- Does the same examiner mark all 3 of your papers out of interest?? (i.e. say for A2 economics, would the same examiner mark U4, U5 and U6, or are they marked by separate examiners???)

- + For re-marking (normal circumstances).........is there online forms i can fill in and then print off, send to the school for the exams coordinator to fill in then send off..........

i'm asking because my school opens on the 4th of September (although there is a sectary there everyday during the holidays who can send the forms if they are available online to my exams coordinator) and i want to apply to Oxford therefore my UCAS deadline is earlier............

so should i (a) wait till school opens and risk the re-marks not coming in on time for my UCAS deadline, or (b) are there any other options/things i can do???
Reply 10
akademic
- Does the same examiner mark all 3 of your papers out of interest?? (i.e. say for A2 economics, would the same examiner mark U4, U5 and U6, or are they marked by separate examiners???)

- + For re-marking (normal circumstances).........is there online forms i can fill in and then print off, send to the school for the exams coordinator to fill in then send off..........

i'm asking because my school opens on the 4th of September (although there is a sectary there everyday during the holidays who can send the forms if they are available online to my exams coordinator) and i want to apply to Oxford therefore my UCAS deadline is earlier............

so should i (a) wait till school opens and risk the re-marks not coming in on time for my UCAS deadline, or (b) are there any other options/things i can do???

I'm guessing its different examiners...I got 2 AS Physics papers back from the exam board last year and the examiners writing (well...numbers) looked different.
-G-a-v-
I'm guessing its different examiners...I got 2 AS Physics papers back from the exam board last year and the examiners writing (well...numbers) looked different.

well thats good to know, on my RE papers i got 2 A's (at A2) at nearly full UMS and for the last paper a D, which tbh i know i done a little better in that...........pray to god that the re-mark comes in higher, only need 4UMS (however many raw marks marks that is lol) to get an A :smile:
Reply 12
akademic, if the boundaries you give are for the paper you sat (if they are for this year's paper), then we can calculate your raw marks awarded first time and the increase needed in unit 6.

Boundaries:
A = 62/100 (Raw Marks).....96/120 (UMS)
B = 55/100.....84/120
C = 48/100.....72/120
D = 41/100.....60/120
E = 34/100.....48/120

With your 70/120 UMS, you would have got 47/100 raw marks. This puts you one raw mark under the C boundary. Therefore it might be useful to put in for a remark merely to raise this unit if you were intending to declare your module grades in your UCAS app (still optional as far as I know, but if you have plenty of As it might be an idea).

In order to attain 19 more UMS points, you need a UMS module score of 89/120, or a B. This would require a raw mark score of 58/100.

Basically, your remarked paper would need to achieve 11 more raw marks, or go up 11%. It's not been unheard of for marking to go this wrong, and if you're fairly sure you were working at at least B grade quality (or are at least sure you weren't working at D grade quality), then it would certainly be worth a remark. Don't get your hopes up too much though.

And ask your school as soon as possible if you haven't already. Edexcel will take great pains to ensure the remark is timely, but it's best to be safe and get it done as early as possible.

I really hope this helps. Good luck!
Terrafire...................

(a) Mate THANK-YOU from the bottom of my heart seriously (although i have already sent off my re-marks) getting a bit of clarity on how many marks i need really does help........................:smile:

and

(b) I know realistically that it will be unlikely that i will go up by a whole 11 raw marks (although i keep getting my hopes up that (1). the subject is subjective so to say, as it is essay based and (2). that is edexcel who have a track record for messing up when marking papers).............:rolleyes:

HOWEVER i take this with a HUGEEEE!!! pinch of salt as no matter what, i don't think the examiner was a complete idiot and just gave me a D for no reason, he probably did so for a reason and am therefore preparing myself for my grade to remain at a B in regards to universities/courses etc.........:smile:

But like i said thanks for the help any way mate :tsr2:

Latest