The Student Room Group

The Mixed Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

To join the society, go onto the 'Soc' link on the banner bar. I can't link directly to the application page, I don't think. It's here on pag 9, near the bottom.

Systema or Krav-Maga?? Any thoughts.

I don't like questions like this... the only way you'll know is if you go to both for a few sessions and find out which you prefer. Just remember, if one of them doesn't teach very much groundfighting, it's not going to be great for MMA.

If anyone has any questions on techniques for ground-fighting, I'll be happy to try and help. I can't remember who it is, but someone on this thread has a BJJ black-belt, so they might be better than me!
Reply 61
imo fedor should join the ufc in order to maintain his #1 hw ranking as opposed to signing elsewhere and fighting inferior opposition ie fighters not in the top ten
Reply 62
I think I'm going to bet on Henderson to win on Saturday, it'll be a very close match. His wrestling is superior to Rampage's and his striking ability is fairly decent - also note that Rampage doesn't kick a lot. However, having said that I think Quinton is better in the clinch and general in-fighting if it reaches that point. I think this match-up will spark a spectacular trilogy between the two.

Also, some general thoughts - under UFC rules (where weight is given to takedowns) I think Rampage would beat Wanderlei Silva convincingly. He's improved so much as a fighter and is now more well rounded than Silva.
I B.S.
imo fedor should join the ufc in order to maintain his #1 hw ranking as opposed to signing elsewhere and fighting inferior opposition ie fighters not in the top ten

Agreed. He hasn't fought a notable heavyweight since Cro Cop over 2 years ago.
I give Fedor 3 months to sign with the UFC or fight Josh Barnett, before the #1 ranking goes to Big Nog (Or Randy, CroCop, Arlovski, depending on who fights and beats who).
I'm hoping for Rampage to win, Cro Cop to win by GnP and Bisping to win a decision after a war (or late KO).
ForeverIsMyName
Police in America learn Brazilian jujitsu occasionally, as do the Israeli armed forces; a type of modified grappling using holds. The referee from the UFC, John Mccarthy, teaches grappling. He has a black belt in BJJ, if I remember correctly.

Kung Fu hasn't been seen in the UFC... ever, I don't think.

I think I saw it in one of the early UFC's actually. I have it on dvd; I'm sure there was a fighter that used Kung Fu.
Reply 67
I've remember seeing a Wing Chun practitioner in one of the early UFCs, the fight ended in about 10 seconds. Some traditional martial arts are full of what would be considered illegal moves, so these arts aren't practical for a sport application like MMA.
Reply 68
I've just finished watching the live stream of UFC 75. I'll wait until you guys finish watching it before starting a discussion, I've got a few things to say. Overall it was a really good event.
Essence™
I've just finished watching the live stream of UFC 75. I'll wait until you guys finish watching it before starting a discussion, I've got a few things to say. Overall it was a really good event.

Can you tell me what happened mate, in one of them spoiler things
Reply 70

Spoiler

Essence™

Spoiler

Thanks mate i appreciate it
Reply 72

Spoiler

Was at the event myself. Great night.

Discusted at the Bisping-Hamil decision. Hamil took it in my opinion.

Also in my opinion Henderson beat Jackson. What were these judges on?

And Cro-Cop lost ****ing again. I'm upset at this. He didn't hardly throw anything, only about 3 kicks in the whole fight.

Thought Fedor was gona be announced? Ah well.
Hamill was robbed, shame, happy Bisping won, but he should really drop down to 185, he'll get tooled by guys with better Striking and clinch/ground games.

CroCop just disappoints me more and more, he's not the fighter of 2 or 3 years ago when he ran through guys in Pride for fun. He really looks like he's in there for the pay day.

Glad Rampage won, because that may mean Henderson will drop down to 185 and take on Silva, which will be a crazy fight.
Reply 75
I just watched the first round of Mirko vs Kongo again and to be honest Cro Cop looked hungry. He was pushing the fight in the first 2 minutes or so but just kept getting countered by kicks, I think Kongo broke his confidence. Cheick was just a better kickboxer that night, Mirko knew this but he wasn't comfortable taking the fight to the ground to counter Cheick's attacks.
IMO Bisping took it. Hammil did absolutely nothing from top position and in rounds 2 and 3 Bisping had superior stand up. Unless you think Hammil won round 1 10-8 or something, I don't see how that was a bad decision.
The first two rounds were Hamills... no way Bisping won that fight, even though I was cheering for him. Didn't get to see any fights other than that...

*Looks for fights on Youtube*
Reply 78
Anyone else into the jeet kune do concept? :smile:
ForeverIsMyName
The first two rounds were Hamills... no way Bisping won that fight, even though I was cheering for him. Didn't get to see any fights other than that...

*Looks for fights on Youtube*

I don't see how Hammil took round 2. He wasn't effective on the ground which is why he kept letting Bisping up, so Bisping scores points for grappling. That round their striking was pretty even but Bisping landed a couple of left hands I think. I can see how round 2 could have been 10-10 but Hammil didn't take it IMO.

When it's converted into AVI I'll watch it again.

Quick Reply

Latest