The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Widowmaker
Is it possible? Is there a website which does this?

All schools predict 'Target grades' for GCSE students based on their points score from KS3 SATS. I haven't got the conversion here, because it is very slightly different for each subject, but I'll see if I can get some basic formua at some stage.
Basically if you get mostly level 7s, then you should be on line for mostly A and A* whereas if you score mostly level 5s then its more likely to be Bs and Cs. Whilst it is not a hard and fast PREDICTED grade, it is a 'target' for students who should aim to achieve and exceed it! - So we are told. (Unfortunately this is part of the current government Target Culture that is driving many good, lively and imaginative teachers out of the profession!)
Reply 2
It's quite simple really.
Maths
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - B
5 - C
4 - D
English and Science
7 - A*
6 - A
5 - B etc.

Somehow, my new R.E. teacher today predicted our R.E. GCSE grades (well, our target grades) from our SATS results. Why didn't she just use last years end of year RE exam results?
*daniEllE*

Somehow, my new R.E. teacher today predicted our R.E. GCSE grades (well, our target grades) from our SATS results. Why didn't she just use last years end of year RE exam results?

That what my R.E teacher did,she predicted me a B even though I gto an A in the mock.
Well in my school, they predict the English, Maths and Science grades from the KS3 SAT's, but hardly anything else. If you get a 4 or less in these subjects then it's a failure that they will predict you, 5 is a C, 6 is a B, 7 is an A/A* and 8 is an A*. Don't know anyone that has got an EP but I suppose it will be an A* aswell. By the way, what were everyone's SATs results on here?
Reply 5
I don't believe in using SATS to predict GCSE'S, there is such a huge difference, low sats might spur someone on to do extraordinary , it's swings & roundabouts...and simply because i got 866 8 in english, and i got A*A*A, *A in maths yet i only got a 6* and a merit in gnvq science which i suppose was ok..but someone who got 7,6,6 went on to get 7A*'s . Sats are a waste. :rolleyes:
I agree, I got a 6 for english, but a high A* at GCSE.
*daniEllE*
It's quite simple really.
Maths
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - B
5 - C
4 - D
English and Science
7 - A*
6 - A
5 - B etc.

I'm not sure this is accurate - I think far more people in my school got A*s in DA science than got 8s in KSE. I'm not sure if the same applies for the others - definitely a few more in maths.
The idea is:

level 5 = C
level 6 = B
level 7 = A
level 8 = A*

It's crap though :smile: I got a 6 in science... should have got BB, but got AA. I got a 7 in English (highest possible in the papers we get entered for at our school) and got A*A and I got an 8 in maths... should have got an A*... and got an A.

Maybe I just didn't like the idea of doing better in maths than English :smile:
Reply 9
Yeh, I don't think it's accurate either, but that's how they work them out now. It's even more confusing now as you can only get an 8 in Maths, not English or Science, and I don't think EPs exist.
We had "Cat's" tests to predict our gcse results.
Reply 11
i used to get predicted gcse results, but what are the uses of them, does anyone know?>
Reply 12
i got 555 for my sats and left my school with 2a*'s 6b's 1c 1d

bb in science (level 5 sat)
b in maths (level 5 sat)
d in english (resiting it _) (level 5 sat)
Reply 13
You can get 8s in English and Science it's just that most schools don't enter that paper.

Personally I was 'targetted' at AAA*A*A*A* in English Lit/Lan, Double Science, Maths and Statistics from my SATS and ended up with CCBBAA.
Reply 14
If they predict you any GCSE results based on your KS3 levels, ignore them completely. They're mainly there so that the teachers have something to compare the work you're producing to the level of work you (apparnetly) should be producing, then if you aren't, they start whingeing at you. e.g. in History I was working at level 8 in KS3, but was predicted an A from my 'Yellis' test. So when I got Cs and Ds on tests throughout year 10 and 11, my teacher really kept on at me. But in the end, I *somehow* got an A, so....I really wouldn't worry too much about predicted grades, the grades your work is at and the grade you eventually get can be so different.
My skool predicted my GCSEs with yellis tests (n i hav a friend called yellis so dat seem funny) but they wldn't tell me wot they were. they just told people if they're predicted grades were better than yellis. i think they're a load of s£^t really n wots the point of havin them is they dont tell u wot they are?
Reply 16
gemma.....
I don't believe in using SATS to predict GCSE'S, there is such a huge difference, low sats might spur someone on to do extraordinary , it's swings & roundabouts...and simply because i got 866 8 in english, and i got A*A*A, *A in maths yet i only got a 6* and a merit in gnvq science which i suppose was ok..but someone who got 7,6,6 went on to get 7A*'s . Sats are a waste. :rolleyes:

i used to agree, especially since my school predicted all our gcse subjects from english, maths and science SATs. however, these 'springboard grades' are more often than not correct, if you look at the big picture and the statistics. it's to give you something to aim for and hopefully improve on (hence "springboard"!) far more often than not pupils exceed their predictions from SATs, which is the point of it!

Latest