The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Steezy20
My guitar is next to me, but my amp is upstairs... can't be arsed moving... don't think I'll play guitar today. Lost my plectrum... again.
Fingerpicking, dude, is the way forward :wink:. At least, it is when you can't find a plectrum :p:.

Want me to recommend a song? :hubba: Try Why Georgia by John Mayer. If you want something a little more challenging, go for Neon, by the same :wink:.

If you've not heard either song, go to youtube. If you want a tab to either song, just ask me :five:.
I knew that was coming DAS as soon as you gave that - :hubba: Next thing you were going to say was either going to be John Mayer or Jack Johnson :p:
Why not just put it in your sig, save you posting it every five minutes :biggrin:

kaisersalsek: That's true - when it comes to things like musical theory it's possibly to apply it to virtually any instrument that exists that uses notes

Possibly. But theres a lot you won't learn if you don't study the different instruments.
Part writing and blasted Bach Chorales for example.
Aaah Bach, here's a cover I did (for any of you who like classical) when I was on holiday. I bought some ****ty children's classical guitar; I thought I could survive 4 weeks without guitar, I was wrong :redface: Can't remember which invention... I actually lost the music :redface:

http://www.box.net/shared/xczby8q1ny

Enjoy :redface:
Mustard-man
I knew that was coming DAS as soon as you gave that - :hubba: Next thing you were going to say was either going to be John Mayer or Jack Johnson :p:
Hehehehehehe :biggrin:

You guys know me too well.

But what I say is no lie - both are very good fingerpicking songs :p:.
SunburnedCactus
Why not just put it in your sig, save you posting it every five minutes :biggrin:
Nah, I like to type it out every so often - just to remind you guys that amazing guitarists do exist who aren't called Vai/Satriani/Pettruci/Morello/Slash/Bettencourt/Shredders :p:

Anyone who's after something a little easier (because let's face it, most people's technical ability in here is no where near as good as yours, SC, or Mush/ad absurdum/other Guitar Heroes about the place) now has an option of more tuneful melodies :p:.

Didn't know Shredder played guitar...
Mustard-man
Aaah Bach, here's a cover I did (for any of you who like classical) when I was on holiday. I bought some ****ty children's classical guitar; I thought I could survive 4 weeks without guitar, I was wrong :redface: Can't remember which invention... I actually lost the music :redface:

http://www.box.net/shared/xczby8q1ny

Enjoy :redface:

thats an exceptional arrangement, especially considering it was done on a ****ty childrens classical guitar! well done, I enjoyed it a lot.
Hiya everyone the other day I watched 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' and I would LOVE to learn how to play the type of guitar that El Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) plays. I think it's a Spanish guitar but I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds - it's so sexy it's incredible. :redface:

Enough of my rambling anyway :p:. I've been having a look on eBay but I don't know what to go for. I'm a beginner with no prior knowledge of playing, let alone music knowledge, so could someone recommend me a good guitar on the internet? Thanks! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Steezy20
My guitar is next to me, but my amp is upstairs... can't be arsed moving... don't think I'll play guitar today. Lost my plectrum... again.

Tell me about it, I bought 25 a few months back - now i have 4...
chrisbellx
thats an exceptional arrangement, especially considering it was done on a ****ty childrens classical guitar! well done, I enjoyed it a lot.
:redface: Thanks :smile: Hmm... Might do some more Bach then (that was my first one)...
SunburnedCactus

He had some m4d skillz :p:.
SunburnedCactus

imagine it - like playing with 2 picks at once.
Just been listening to Marquee Moon by Television. Title track might just be the greatest song I've ever heard. Any other fans of Television out there?
CarlyStarlet
Hiya everyone the other day I watched 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' and I would LOVE to learn how to play the type of guitar that El Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) plays. I think it's a Spanish guitar but I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds - it's so sexy it's incredible. :redface:

Enough of my rambling anyway :p:. I've been having a look on eBay but I don't know what to go for. I'm a beginner with no prior knowledge of playing, let alone music knowledge, so could someone recommend me a good guitar on the internet? Thanks! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A nylon string acoustic is what you want for playing Spanish style guitar, nice and easy on the fingers too.

The top end looks like this:

Something like these would do for a first, if you like it (which I'm sure you will!) then spend more on the second one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitar-Full-Size-Adult-39-Classical-Guitar_W0QQitemZ300148925663QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Valencia-3100-Full-Size-Classical-Guitar_W0QQitemZ190149789384QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Reply 4137
Astral Weeks
Just been listening to Marquee Moon by Television. Title track might just be the greatest song I've ever heard. Any other fans of Television out there?

Yeah great album. Great Song. I'm guessing your name is a reference to the classic Van Morrison album?
Ltd.
Yeah great album. Great Song. I'm guessing your name is a reference to the classic Van Morrison album?

Yup, Television were a brilliant band. Bought their live double-albu "The Blow Up" recently, really good.

Yeh Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" was the first "great album" that I ever listened to (unless you're a big fan of Jeff Buckley's "Grace") and it's still my favourite by a country mile.
Reply 4139
Yeah great band.

Astral Weeks is a great album. Not my absolute favourite, but then again I don't think I even have an absolute favourite.

Latest