The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This bit makes me laugh

"It is said to have been caused by a rise in the number of undergraduates coming from the UK and abroad."

Er...aside from where?! SPACE!?!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
:rofl:
Reply 22
Looks like a could be up the old creek without a paddle!

Im doing an postgrad course at Aberdeen Uni but was only able to accept my conditional when my resit results came out on thursday! Called the accomodation office today and they said they can put me up until they find somewhere suitable but i may be sharing with 2 or 3 other people in the same room!

Anyone else know anywhere decent to tryget some accomodation?
Reply 23
Ask one of these lot from Aberdeen if you can have their bedroom :biggrin:
davygump
Looks like a could be up the old creek without a paddle!

Im doing an postgrad course at Aberdeen Uni but was only able to accept my conditional when my resit results came out on thursday! Called the accomodation office today and they said they can put me up until they find somewhere suitable but i may be sharing with 2 or 3 other people in the same room!

Anyone else know anywhere decent to tryget some accomodation?

Welcome to :tsr: mate and sorry to hear about your situation.

I know all Hillhead and C/J is filled up but what about Elphinstone Road? That's where the post-grads usually stay so it wouldn't be available to freshers. Other than that there are supposed to be some nice and cheap private student halls on King Street, not too far from the uni. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, wait till Keeno get's here :smile:.
If that fails come back and I'll keep thinking for you
Reply 25
Cheers mate thanks!

From what i gathered on the phone yesterday and from this thread every space is filled at the moment and there is a waiting list if around 150 including postgraduate halls.

Not got a scooby do about y way around aberdeen but ill have a look for pvt flats on king street and see how i get on!

Cheers for the welcome peeps, if the worst comes to the worst i have a tent!
Haha where do you plan on pitching this tent of yours? I'm a local so I'll try and help you however I can to find places. If you can't get the private halls you might just be stuck with a flat, there are always plenty of rooms to let for students.

I had no idea the post grad halls were all filled too, thought it was just an undergraduate problem. Cheers for the latest info :smile:
Reply 27
SmilerNuts
Welcome to :tsr: mate and sorry to hear about your situation.

I know all Hillhead and C/J is filled up but what about Elphinstone Road? That's where the post-grads usually stay so it wouldn't be available to freshers. Other than that there are supposed to be some nice and cheap private student halls on King Street, not too far from the uni. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, wait till Keeno get's here :smile:.
If that fails come back and I'll keep thinking for you

Pretty sure it's a city wide problem.
Reply 28
lol. tents?
Really? Is the problem that bad?

Oh dear! I must have been in the nick of time then!!!
-_-

Roxy
xx
I think someone I know who had Aberdeen as his insurance offer and took it is having trouble getting accomodation too.

Hehe, no problems like THIS at RGU....
Reply 30
Danielle89
I think someone I know who had Aberdeen as his insurance offer and took it is having trouble getting accomodation too.

The city's Robert Gordon University (RGU) is asking all staff if they can make room for a lodger.

:biggrin: :biggrin: And you say RGU doesn't have a problem with accommodation?
dd1989
The city's Robert Gordon University (RGU) is asking all staff if they can make room for a lodger.

:biggrin: :biggrin: And you say RGU doesn't have a problem with accommodation?

:five:
Reply 32
Danielle89

Unless you are talking about an RGU that is not in Aberdeen, I can't see how RGU is not affected by a city wide shortage of accommodation. It isn't just Aberdeen uni halls, it's all student accommdation in Aberdeen.
Reply 33
You might wanna get in touch with Aberdeen council if you're still looking for accomodation, they may put you in the high priority listing for council flats etc.
Just an idea...

x
High priority list? I've got 2 friends who have spent the last 3 years couch surfing cause the council put them on the high priority list and still haven't found them anything!
Lol private accommodation is probably a better bet
Reply 35
Good day to all!

I'm on the opposite end of the situation. I'm going into 2nd year Electrical and electronic engineering, however as there was a mix up at the college i attended last year, my results were a bit late and I was unable to apply for accommodation as early as I would have liked. (Still managed to just make it before the 31st August deadline though). Look like I missed out on a place in the halls, as the uni are putting me (and quite a few others by the sounds of it) in a hotel for around 22 days until they can sort something else out.

Congratulations and good luck to the people that did manage to get into the halls though. I'm not sure if the £1000 would be worth missing out on the fun and opportunities to make new friends that the halls sound like they offer.
Reply 36
^ I don't understand how they can relocate so many people after that period, the situation may still be te same, I hope they aren't relying on people dropping out, since that's not certain to happen.
Reply 37
daemon2
Good day to all!

I'm on the opposite end of the situation. I'm going into 2nd year Electrical and electronic engineering, however as there was a mix up at the college i attended last year, my results were a bit late and I was unable to apply for accommodation as early as I would have liked. (Still managed to just make it before the 31st August deadline though). Look like I missed out on a place in the halls, as the uni are putting me (and quite a few others by the sounds of it) in a hotel for around 22 days until they can sort something else out.

Congratulations and good luck to the people that did manage to get into the halls though. I'm not sure if the £1000 would be worth missing out on the fun and opportunities to make new friends that the halls sound like they offer.

Broch college?
dd1989
^ I don't understand how they can relocate so many people after that period, the situation may still be te same, I hope they aren't relying on people dropping out, since that's not certain to happen.

They are rumoured to be relying on dropouts or International students not turning up at all :rolleyes:
Another rumour that they'll all be made homeless in 22 days unless they find private accommodation or people drop out of halls :s-smilie:
Reply 39
To be honest I think a lot of people will just say **** off and go to another Uni if that's the case, I'd never put up with being messed around like that if they said there's nowhere to stay - and remember some of these people might have applied well within the allocated time but didn't get results through no fault of their own.