The Student Room Group

The Mixed Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Despite Franklin being one of my favourite fighters (incredible athlete), I wouldn't put him in the top 5. He's easily big enough to compete at 205 but he chooses to cut to 185 to have a strength advantage over the naturally smaller middleweights. Other than that, I agree with the names on your list.
Mischievous Mj
Choosing Gonzaga over Couture...you blasphemer.

Anyhow, my top 5 MMA current fighters, pound for pound.

Randy
GSP
Franklin
Spider
Jackson

Where's Fedor and Shogun?

And Franklin over Spider??
Reply 102
How can you have top p4p fighters without

2 being Penn

and number one being Kid. Imagine Kid scaled up to 185, 205 or 240? The guy would demolish everyone in round one.

Peace
Reply 103
UFC 76 is looking really good:

Main Card

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine
Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin (this is make or break for Forrest, he's effectively being fed to Shogun. If he loses he'll be forgotten about)
Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida - fight of the night
Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

the 205 division is stacked, I love it
Essence™
UFC 76 is looking really good:

Main Card

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine
Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin (this is make or break for Forrest, he's effectively being fed to Shogun. If he loses he'll be forgotten about)
Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida - fight of the night
Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

the 205 division is stacked, I love it

Doubt he'll be forgot about, hes a big fan favourite and will probably be on cards in the future, maybe as a gatekeeper
Fianna
How can you have top p4p fighters without

2 being Penn

and number one being Kid. Imagine Kid scaled up to 185, 205 or 240? The guy would demolish everyone in round one.

Peace

Penn needs to win some more and stay at 155 to get such a high P4P ranking... and I agree with Kid being top 10. However going on current records against top competition, Fedor is #1 and Shogun is #2. Rampage, Arona, Lil Nog, Kaznak and another is 5 fights? Nobody has face that level of competition in 5 fights who I can think of, except maybe GSP with Mayhem, Trigg, Hughes, Sherk and Karo.... but still.
ForeverIsMyName
Penn needs to win some more and stay at 155 to get such a high P4P ranking... and I agree with Kid being top 10. However going on current records against top competition, Fedor is #1 and Shogun is #2. Rampage, Arona, Lil Nog, Kaznak and another is 5 fights? Nobody has face that level of competition in 5 fights who I can think of, except maybe GSP with Mayhem, Trigg, Hughes, Sherk and Karo.... but still.

Penn is one of the greatest MMA fighters in the world, and belongs in any top 3 p4p lists. A BJ Penn in shape can destroy anybody at 155 and i'd also put anybody at 170 in that category also
JordanLUFC
Penn is one of the greatest MMA fighters in the world, and belongs in any top 3 p4p lists. A BJ Penn in shape can destroy anybody at 155 and i'd also put anybody at 170 in that category also

On the basis of what? Ok, at 155 he needs to take one moe fight to get th number 2 or 3 spot... but he hasn't won a fight at 170 for over two years, and that was against a 38 year old Renzo Gracie. P4P is based on acheivements, not potential.
ForeverIsMyName
On the basis of what? Ok, at 155 he needs to take one moe fight to get th number 2 or 3 spot... but he hasn't won a fight at 170 for over two years, and that was against a 38 year old Renzo Gracie. P4P is based on acheivements, not potential.

If I have to spell out for you why BJ Penn should be in the top 3, then that is a real shame.
JordanLUFC
If I have to spell out for you why BJ Penn should be in the top 3, then that is a real shame.

When was his last win over a top 10 fighter in any weight division? It's either Ludwig or Hughes, each of those over 3 years ago.

GSP with his recent win over top-5 fighter Koscheck gets the number 3 spot, the probably Filho, who in his 15 fighter career I have never seen in any kind of trouble. Then Penn comes after that.

He may dominate at 155lbs, but there's no chance in hell he deserves the top 3 spot after beating Jens Pulver. If Sherk's appeal succeeds, I hope we see Sherk/Penn - Sherk would run through him in my mind.
Sherk is a ****ing cheat.
If he cheated. The following numbers/facts are off the top of my head and should be checked.

The normal amount of blood nandralone for a person is 3 arbitrary units (could be parts per million, but I don't know and it's immaterial regarding my arguement).

Normal for an athlete is 6 au

Sherk tested positive with 12 au

Sounds bad, but the man has an insane workout schedule and takes a lot of supplements. I don't know if you remember but Greg Rusedski was in a similar position to Sherk at one point. He denied it and was cleared, on the basis that supplements had caused a false positive.

Royce Gracie tested positive for nandralone with 50 au. 12 doesn't sound quite so bad now, does it?

Only Sherk and possibly his camp knows if he took AAS. I hope he didn't, but the best we or the guys investigating have is an educated guess. Anyhow, I think Penn would beat Sherk. Would be a good fight.
ForeverIsMyName
When was his last win over a top 10 fighter in any weight division? It's either Ludwig or Hughes, each of those over 3 years ago.

GSP with his recent win over top-5 fighter Koscheck gets the number 3 spot, the probably Filho, who in his 15 fighter career I have never seen in any kind of trouble. Then Penn comes after that.

He may dominate at 155lbs, but there's no chance in hell he deserves the top 3 spot after beating Jens Pulver. If Sherk's appeal succeeds, I hope we see Sherk/Penn - Sherk would run through him in my mind.

Care to explain how he'd run through Penn, because I don't see him as having a chance against BJ. BJ is the best 155 fighter in the world, and if he stays at 155, will dominate for years
Reply 113
JordanLUFC
Care to explain how he'd run through Penn, because I don't see him as having a chance against BJ. BJ is the best 155 fighter in the world, and if he stays at 155, will dominate for years

You can't just say Penn is the best 155 fighter in the world. Where does that assertion come from? One win over Jens Pulver who, by the way, he lost to earlier in that weight class in any case. Sherk is the nightmare fighter for BJ, someone with amazing cardio, and great takedowns. Sherk is like Hughes who BJ lost to recently and yeah we can talk about him being injured in the second round all we like he lost and it's as simple as that.

and do you know BJ's record? You say he can 'destroy' any fighter at 170? Again that's just a guess because he hasn't fought at 170 regularly and what about the fact he has lost to both Hughes and St Pierre recently at that weight class? He was perfectly healthy in teh St Pierre fight just unable to hack the pace. Pound for pound lists are based on wins and achievement, yeah BJ is the prodigy and he goes crazy fighting at heavyweight one month and welterweight the next but that doesn't prove anything. He's talented but until he puts together a string of wins, which he hasn't, then you can't rank him anywhere on a pound for pound list.
jjpp
You can't just say Penn is the best 155 fighter in the world. Where does that assertion come from? One win over Jens Pulver who, by the way, he lost to earlier in that weight class in any case. Sherk is the nightmare fighter for BJ, someone with amazing cardio, and great takedowns. Sherk is like Hughes who BJ lost to recently and yeah we can talk about him being injured in the second round all we like he lost and it's as simple as that.

and do you know BJ's record? You say he can 'destroy' any fighter at 170? Again that's just a guess because he hasn't fought at 170 regularly and what about the fact he has lost to both Hughes and St Pierre recently at that weight class? He was perfectly healthy in teh St Pierre fight just unable to hack the pace. Pound for pound lists are based on wins and achievement, yeah BJ is the prodigy and he goes crazy fighting at heavyweight one month and welterweight the next but that doesn't prove anything. He's talented but until he puts together a string of wins, which he hasn't, then you can't rank him anywhere on a pound for pound list.

Ok. BJ Penn, in shape, I believe can dominate anybody at 155/170, and here's why. BJ has always said he didn't like training, and it was said that he thought his superior skill could take him through most fights. He has lost to Hughes yes, but he has also beaten Matt Hughes very convincingly. The GSP fight was a very close decision, in a fight where he gassed. This is why I say if BJ trains like he did for the Pulver fight, then he can defeat anybody. And i'm not just talking about one win over Pulver, i'm talking about previous achievements where he defeated such guys as Takanori Gomi, who is ranked number 1 155lb fighter in the world. He dominated him,like Gomi has never been dominated before, or since. Sherk has great wrestling and cardio, similar to Hughes, and BJ has beat Hughes, what makes you think Sherk would run through him? BJ is very difficult to take down, and his BJJ game is amongst the best in the world. BJ Penn would defeat Sean Sherk, because he's that good
JordanLUFC
Ok. BJ Penn, in shape, I believe can dominate anybody at 155/170, and here's why. BJ has always said he didn't like training, and it was said that he thought his superior skill could take him through most fights. He has lost to Hughes yes, but he has also beaten Matt Hughes very convincingly. The GSP fight was a very close decision, in a fight where he gassed. This is why I say if BJ trains like he did for the Pulver fight, then he can defeat anybody. And i'm not just talking about one win over Pulver, i'm talking about previous achievements where he defeated such guys as Takanori Gomi, who is ranked number 1 155lb fighter in the world. He dominated him,like Gomi has never been dominated before, or since. Sherk has great wrestling and cardio, similar to Hughes, and BJ has beat Hughes, what makes you think Sherk would run through him? BJ is very difficult to take down, and his BJJ game is amongst the best in the world. BJ Penn would defeat Sean Sherk, because he's that good

Agree to disagree.
Reply 116
JordanLUFC

The problem is that this all depends on if BJ walks in to the octagon in good cardio shape which he's done perhaps twice in his whole career. I'm actually a big BJ fan and he's maybe the most talented fighter in the world but that doesn't matter when he can't bring it for time. He himsef said in interviews before the matt hughes fight that he doesn't train like most fighters with cardio and doesn't train full time either.

He gassed against GSP after three rounds! Sherk (assuming return from drug suspension etc) is the biggest cardio machine in MMA who will bring it 100% for 5 rounds and I just don't think BJ can hack that pace. If it goes past round 2 just like the hughes fight then BJ, in my opinion, will get beaten. and i don't think sherk will walk through him but I see it ending somewhat like Hughes vs Penn 2

In any case you can't justify BJ being in the top 3 p4p in the world because his recent victories haven't been nearly as impressive as his earlier ones and he's lost. He doesn't deserve a place in the p4p based on past glories or just talent alone. There are much more accomplished fighters like Shogun, Fedor, Silva that all deserve a place ahead of him.
Anyone see Sergei/Overeem or Rua/Lawler? Both very good fights... Ninja didn't look so good, Overeem looked good in places, but still...
Reply 118
saw both fights. Ninja's game plan was wrong, as he said after fight. Lawler is dangerous though because of the power in his hands which seems to last for ages as well.

Overeem is becoming dissapointing recently, a lot of talent but against Kharitanov i wanted him to use his range and kicks but he got drawn into a bit of a brawl i felt which led to his loss eventually. I think he should use the more technical aspects of his game.

what you think? Do you train mma btw?
Saw the Lawler/Ninja fight, Lawler looked good, rumours that Frank Shamrock is going to be the next opponent, which would be a great fight.

Quick Reply

Latest