The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi Alex (I'm assuming anyway!) Weclome and yes you did choose the best college.

Ah Scottish Highers, I have a number of Scottish friends and have only just got to grips with your education system, although that is better than most of them understand of ours! 5 advanced highers, well you will be in good training for coming here, there is a lot of work, especially as a nat sci. Although you are a bio which is not quite hardcore!

Ask any questions you have I'm sure that one of us who are already here will at the very least try to give you an answer!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Oh nicety, oh my name isn't Alex lol, it's Buyun Zhao (I'm in a closed minded school where people get harassed for using TSR)!

When did you get in? 2006?

Is it true that old typewriter will be closed this semester?! YAY!
People harassed for using TSR lol poor u!

I got in in 2005, I'm a Phys Nat Sci if you couldn't work that out. Yes our beloved typewritter will be closed next year for renovation- there is a discussion about it all a bit further up the thread, and a load of stuff about accomodation too.
seashellstar
People harassed for using TSR lol poor u!

I got in in 2005, I'm a Phys Nat Sci if you couldn't work that out. Yes our beloved typewritter will be closed next year for renovation- there is a discussion about it all a bit further up the thread, and a load of stuff about accomodation too.

Didn't know you did deferred entry (unless by 2005 you mean applying in 2005, accepted and matriculated in 2006).
Childermass
Didn't know you did deferred entry (unless by 2005 you mean applying in 2005, accepted and matriculated in 2006).

No I did not defer entry, you are right, I matriculated in 2006 but applied in October of 2005. I lie unintentionally sorry. (Although to be pedantic the decision as to whether I got an offer was probably made in 2005- just!)
seashellstar
No I did not defer entry, you are right, I matriculated in 2006 but applied in October of 2005. I lie unintentionally sorry. (Although to be pedantic the decision as to whether I got an offer was probably made in 2005- just!)

You don't 'get in' until you actually receive and accept your offer. :p:
Childermass
You don't 'get in' until you actually receive and accept your offer. :p:

I knnow that's why I said I 'got an offer'- that may have been what I was unconsiously thinking of.

There is too much inter Christ student banter here! Dr Harper would not be happy!
seashellstar
I knnow that's why I said I 'got an offer'- that may have been what I was unconsiously thinking of.

There is too much inter Christ student banter here! Dr Harper would not be happy!

Ms Harper would be ecstatic- she's written 'banters too much with the other christ's student' or something to that effect on both of my supervision reports thus far. I may learn a few routines by rote to try and get three in a row.
Reply 248
Are there any seniors who are studying Econs in Christ's? How does it like to study Econs in Christ's? Why did you all choose Christ's and not other colleges? Anything special and unique about Christ's which I should know? I heard that Christ's has this parent-sibling programme. Is it only applicable to Christ's or all colleges have this programme?
Hi

I don't study economy so I can't comment on that front. However, I choose Christ's for a number of reasons:

I am a Nat Sci and it is strong for sciences, I didn't have to sit an exam to get in, it is centrally located, it is of medium size, it has a good music society, the facilities it had- rooms, 24 hr library etc, the gardens are beautiful, I loved the chapel- small enough to be intimate but not too small and of course the clinching factor- it has the most beautiful cat ever (Millie)! Also they didn't charge to let people in to see the college (that annoys me!) It seemed to have a very nice atmosphere, and it really is the friendly college.

Christ's is often regarded as the geeky college, but it has a wondeful friendly feel about it and we really don't work as hard as we are made out to, there's a lot of fun too! I don't think if I had quite realised the academic reputation of Christ's I would have applied here becuase I wouldn't have thought I had a chanc. However, all I can say is that they give a 3rd of their places on Matric offers and I don't think it really makes a difference between colleges as to which one is easier to get into.

Christ's unique because- we are the only college to have a circular lawn- something we are very proud of, and something which makes us very easy to fiind on an areial map! We have Milton and Darwin as our most famous alumni, along with... Ali G!

Yes, we do have a parent-sibling scheme, this is not only common to most Colleges (as far as I know) but also to most universities in the UK. The way it is run depends on the college/ university- but in Christ's you will have 2 or 3 social siblings and and social Mum and Dad, these are here for the social/ emotional side of things and probably won't do the same subject as you. Then there is your academic sibling who is mainly there to help with the academic side of things, who obviously does do the same subject as you.

Hope that helps.
Reply 250
seashellstar
and of course the clinching factor- it has the most beautiful cat ever (Millie)!
Would that be a very friendly, silvery cat owned by Dr Bowkett? I was trying to read a passage for my interview in the fellows' building and it kept snuggling up to me, purring etc. Nice, but quite distracting in the circumstances.
Yep, Millie our lovely persian pussy! If she was in the Fellow's Building she was probably trying to find Dr Bowkett for food, that is the main reason. Bowkett has been known to just talk to Millie and totally ignore the people who had been with her, when he came!

There are worse distractions, I had a piano tuner tuning a piano (oddly enough!) when I was preparing for my interview.
Reply 252
seashellstar
Hi

I don't study economy so I can't comment on that front. However, I choose Christ's for a number of reasons:

I am a Nat Sci and it is strong for sciences, I didn't have to sit an exam to get in, it is centrally located, it is of medium size, it has a good music society, the facilities it had- rooms, 24 hr library etc, the gardens are beautiful, I loved the chapel- small enough to be intimate but not too small and of course the clinching factor- it has the most beautiful cat ever (Millie)! Also they didn't charge to let people in to see the college (that annoys me!) It seemed to have a very nice atmosphere, and it really is the friendly college.

Christ's is often regarded as the geeky college, but it has a wondeful friendly feel about it and we really don't work as hard as we are made out to, there's a lot of fun too! I don't think if I had quite realised the academic reputation of Christ's I would have applied here becuase I wouldn't have thought I had a chanc. However, all I can say is that they give a 3rd of their places on Matric offers and I don't think it really makes a difference between colleges as to which one is easier to get into.

Christ's unique because- we are the only college to have a circular lawn- something we are very proud of, and something which makes us very easy to fiind on an areial map! We have Milton and Darwin as our most famous alumni, along with... Ali G!

Yes, we do have a parent-sibling scheme, this is not only common to most Colleges (as far as I know) but also to most universities in the UK. The way it is run depends on the college/ university- but in Christ's you will have 2 or 3 social siblings and and social Mum and Dad, these are here for the social/ emotional side of things and probably won't do the same subject as you. Then there is your academic sibling who is mainly there to help with the academic side of things, who obviously does do the same subject as you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. Is it common to be asked such question like "why do you choose this college" during the interview?
Gnoes
Thanks for the advice. Is it common to be asked such question like "why do you choose this college" during the interview?

As far as I can remember I wasn't asked that here, although I was at other Unis. I don't know whether it is common here as just a straight question; although there quite possibly would be a question where you could slip in (naturally of course) something about why you like the college. This gives them a 'warm fuzzy feeling' as one of my supervisors describes it and endears you to them!

There is however a section on the application form where you basically get to fill in why you want to go to that college, like in your personal statement where you say why you want to do your subject; although it is optional. At open days here we were told we should have a reason, even if it was- I liked the cat!

If I was you I would know why I wanted that College if I had chosen it specifically for that reason and be prepared to answer a question about it,;but if you just picked it because you live too far away to visit and it just happened to be first alphabetically don't lie about it.

However, I would say that Colleges and Unis do like you to know the information they have in the prospectus (so that you look like you are serious) and almost by definition from this you should get at least the reason you like the course.
Notorious MIC
why not?

Because you cope just fine with RedTube. :wink:
i'm applying to Christ's to do English Literature for 2008 entry.

any advice from anyone?
yo hello all christs people! i got into christs so yay! but now the nay begins....is it true no tvs are allowed?!?!?! and another question....PLLLLEEEAAASE tell me mini fridges are allowed?
No TVs are allowed. I don't think mini-fridges are strictly allowed either but you'll get away with it. Seriously though, why do you need one? The shared fridges are OK as long as you get on well enough with your neighbours to negotiate space usage.
Reply 258
I'd just like to ask a few questions about christ's (possible 2008 entry applicant):

1. what proportion of the rooms are ensuite? and how likely is it that i will get ensuite in a given year if i want it? (would really like ensuite lol)

2. is there a badminton court on site?

3. is the bar separate from the jcr (heard the bar closes really early - is this true)?

4. does it deserve its "academic" reputation? are the students in general much more hardworking than average and less sociable or is it an unfounded myth? (and does being so academic mean it is harder to get into?)

5. also, are you housed on site for the duration of the course or do you spend a year in college owned flats elsewhere for example?

thanks

(currently deciding between christ's, catz and downing)
Reply 259
There was an email from the JCR some time back which said that mini-fridges were allowed, but other than that I've not seen it written anywhere officially.

As for the other questions:
1. I'd estimate.. 20% of rooms en-suite, all in the top 3 price categories. As a first year you are extremely unlikely to get an en-suite room. In the second year you are unlikely to unless you get a First. In the third year you should be able to get one. Unless, of course, they happen to be making the rooms in New Court en-suite during the refurbishment.. but I have my doubts?

2. There were some courts for some sport or other in New Court, but this year they're doing refurbishment. I believe it will be finished for the 2008 intake, but I couldn't confirm whether the courts will remain. Also, I'm not sure whether the courts are for badminton or squash or.. something else.

3. The bar is separate from the JCR. The bar doesn't close so early nowadays, the reputation is from before.

4. I'm not sure to be honest. It is probably one of the more academic colleges, but equally it doesn't stand out as being extraordinarily so, compared to a number of others?

5. You can probably stay on site if you want, provided they sort out New Court in time. A lot of second years do go out to college-owned accommodation, but there are nevertheless rooms in college, and not all do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending