The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's fine, I used to use my neighbors. :biggrin:
Reply 2
My laptop connected to someone elses the other day when my connection went off temporarily. I"m sure its ok to do it, but I felt guilty about it :s-smilie:
Piggybacking someone else's wireless connection is supposed to be illegal... but if its a friend or neighbour they probably won't mind :biggrin:
Idk, depends if they have a pw on it.

It's illegal, so if they are the kinda people who would mind I'd be careful. Don't download anything and the like ;]]
Reply 5
it is illegal, however much like music, nobody pays attention.
Reply 6
Its illegal, its possible for you to sniff their traffic find out what they are doing etc.

Better off telling them to encrypt it so that people can snoop.
Spongebob*No*Pants
It's fine, I used to use my neighbors. :biggrin:

I used to rape my neighbours, it was fine....

just because you did it to a neighbour doesn't mean it's not illegal lol. Using someone's internet without permission if you're not meant to is illegal. Some guy got done for using someone's internet on a park bench once lol
Reply 8
my router is called Perverts Cottage. hohohoo
Reply 9
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was possible to configure routers so that no one else could use your internet connection, firewall etc ?. I know ours is locked / encrypted to stop others using it.
Annie72
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was possible to configure routers so that no one else could use your internet connection, firewall etc ?. I know ours is locked / encrypted to stop others using it.

If you use WEP encryption, it can be easily cracked. WPA can also be cracked, although a bit more difficult.

It works under Linux using a patched stack of drivers which allow packet sniffing. Made possible thanks to the aircrack-ng suite.
Reply 11
The only way to configure a router so that no one can sneak access is to disable the wireless and use an ethernet cable.
Reply 12
Sine
Is it illegal?? :confused: I'm only asking because my dad is doing something to my router I think so I can't connect to mines.

Yes, it's illegal.
Reply 13
I'm sure some routers allow you to limit access to only certain MAC addresses?
Reply 14
john.miguel
If you use WEP encryption, it can be easily cracked. WPA can also be cracked, although a bit more difficult.

It works under Linux using a patched stack of drivers which allow packet sniffing. Made possible thanks to the aircrack-ng suite.

Not practically it can't. (Well... obviously it can, but you'd have to be monumentally lucky) You have to brute force the key and providing the target has a key that's longer than 8 characters that's not a dictionary word, good luck with that.

The only known weakness in WPA is that TKIP flaw, allowing an attacker to inject poisoned ARP packets, but that requires a fair bit of expertise.
Reply 15
LooieENG

Yes but only people that know what they're doing enable that level of security.
LooieENG

Yeah it can be spoofed
LooieENG

Using kismet you can browse the wireless neighbourhood.

Once you found a victim router, you can see who is connected to this router, what you do is you send packets to the router and client to spoof their MAC addresses.

Once you got the MAC of a client and router connected to each other, you change your MAC address to the client's and inject ARP packets at a incredibly fast rate (ARP replay), causing the router to reply back at a very fast rate. These replies can be saved as ARP dumps. Since this is so fast and accelerated, the router actually reveals its WEP key partially with every packet.

Using the aircrack-ng suite you can use these ARP dumps to decrypt the WEP key algorithmically.

Even a 9 year old can crack WEP/WPA keys nowadays thanks to scripts such as wesside-ng (WEP) and easside-ng (WPA)
Ohh I didn't think about this being illegal, I was planning to do this when I go away next week ahah.
Reply 19
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
I used to rape my neighbours, it was fine....

Worst sentence ever to be missing an apostrophe.

Latest

Trending

Trending