The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

northerners are good people.
The southern generalisation would be that northerners are chatty cause none of them work so sit around chatting all day. Ha!

I do get terrified up north though, it has got to be said. South-east ftw. LOL.
Colour Me Pretty
I don't think so but I've noticed there's more fat people up north.
:awesome:

Within a small radius of the Manchester train station: there is a:
Greggs
The Pasty Shop
Sayers
Other pasty shop whose name I've forgetten

:top::top::top:

Now that is nowt but awesome!

I'm not being funny but when I went to London all I could see was trendy Starbucks and Pret A Mangers. What's that about?
And btw OP this topic comes up every fortnight; you could've just used the search bar it's your friend.
Chillaxer
OK, this old rumour to discuss. See personally, northerners are more freindly superficially butI have come to realise it is superficial and actually is meaningless and even annoying when you look at it realistically. They may have more surface forthcomingness but not deeper, they can also be a lot harsher and less polite than us southerners. I am now struck by how much more elegant, stylish, distant and mysterious southern women are too. I have lived way up north briefly but want moe of the south-east now and would never leave. I can see some romance in the north, and passion, but the charms of the south are understated. What do you think?

Northerners are seemingly more sensitive to offensive remarks or being unfriendly. Being more friendly than Southerners, it's natural to be more unfriendly when you aren't so friendly towards us. That is why we can be the most friendly and the most unfriendly people you have ever met.

The reason why is because the stereotype for Southerners is that they are more selfish than Northerners (although this is only a stereotype).

Because Southerners may be more selfish towards other people, they do not care if you are friendly towards them, but then again they do not care if you don't like them.

Northerners put in the effort to be nice, and if you chuck **** back at us, we of course will be upset that our efforts were wasted.

I hope that makes sense.
Jake22
Northern born, Northern bred - strong in the arm and good in bed.

You do know that pretty much ever area modifies this phrase to use it. :h:

Replace 'Northern' with Cornish, Southern, Eastern, American, Iranian, it's all pretty much the same crap.

Meh, who am I kidding? I'm just jealous of your sexual prowess :frown: We, from the South, don't even know what sexy time is
I live in the south and, generally, we don't have much community spirit, people don't talk to each other as much and most people are a bunch of busy bodies working all the time.

When I have been up north, all of the local people are kind, welcoming and talkative. So, quite the opposite. Of course, this is just from my experience and I haven't really stayed in any southern villages or northern cities.
private-radio
The southern generalisation would be that northerners are chatty cause none of them work so sit around chatting all day. Ha!

I do get terrified up north though, it has got to be said. South-east ftw. LOL.

It's because you're unfamiliar with run-down streets :P Usually there's nothing to be frightened of up North, if you grow a backbone :yep:

That generalisation must come from Coronation Street. Many Northerners like Londoner lifestyles.

The only reason why unemployment is larger up North is because our Southern masters keep making us unemployed.
I'm a southerner and I will smile and talk to you in the street (that's if you don't give me the evils for wearing a hoodie). From what I've found, Londoners do tend to be more "unfriendly", but I just put that down to the busy, hectic lifestyles that are led there. If you come out further (Surrey, Hampshire :woo:, Dorset) then people generally are much friendlier. My old Sociology teacher was a northerner and she said she knew the names and talked to every single one of her neighbours when she lived up north. I live in a close of fourteen houses and I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know half of their names. :s-smilie: Maybe that just goes to show the lack of community down here.

The people we spoke to in Sheffield when I went up for an Open Day were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. It didn't half feel odd though to have strangers speak to you on public transport - that sort of thing is practically unheard of in my area. :frown:

Hmmm.... that post started with a point and ended up a load of babbling - sorry!
I think the Southern people are just a bit more refined, personally...

However, yes I do think the south is lacking in community spirit. But, I like the fact that while I'm friendly with the neighbours and wouldn't hesitate to go borrow an egg from time to time, I'm glad I haven't got the whole neighbourhood knocking on the door and people in and out all the time...means we can slob about if we want, and we can choose who we want to invite over.

Also, I found that up north the over-friendliness seemed a little too much for me, perhaps even a bit annoying and fake.
AidanLunn
It's because you're unfamiliar with run-down streets :P Usually there's nothing to be frightened of up North, if you grow a backbone :yep:

That generalisation must come from Coronation Street. Many Northerners like Londoner lifestyles.

The only reason why unemployment is larger up North is because our Southern masters keep making us unemployed.

I don't know. I get somewhat frightened when Im in Derby. Its the only place I have experienced 'gay abuse'! I guess there is no where quite like home.

Its easy to find a scapegoat for one's disadvantages - I always thought the north blamed Lady Thatcher?! I know the Scottish do...

I do love Mrs. Thatcher!
Reply 30
Born and bred in London, don't really see the problem. I would'nt want everyone I see smiling at me and cant be asked to smile at loads of random people I dont know tbh. I admit TFL is very unsocial at times though.
Reply 31
I'm from the Midlands (which is neither north or south, for all those 'anything above London is north' people (stfu)) and I've always found the North to be a much more friendly place with friendlier people than the South.
I'm from the north but now live in the Midlands. Now, Midlands may not be 'south' I've still noticed a big difference in the way of life and people's behaviour. It really pissed me off at first, but I'm used to it now.

In the north, if someone bangs into you, they generally stop, apologise and see if everything is ok. In the Midlands (and further south) I've noticed people barge into you a lot and don't give you a second look. For all they know, you could be flat on your back with your shopping all over the floor. I find that kind of thing really irritating and annoying. I'm not saying EVERYONE does it in the south, but it happens a hell of a lot more here than it does back home. I also find it hard to speak to random people here. For example, back home it's not uncommon to have a chat to someone (who you've never met before) in a bus stop and have a good laugh. Where as here, if you speak to someone you don't know, they tend to look at you funny (sometimes with disgust on their face) and give you a one word reply before looking the other way.

Just loads of little things I've noticed. The thing about threads like this is that everyone is going to be a little bias to where they were born (or were raised) in terms of what is the 'norm' and what isn't. So, on that basis, it's still not a very accurate assessment. I think that once you've lived in any place for a while, regardless of whether you find the people to be 'normal' or not, you adjust to the 'norm' there anyway and it doesn't remain such a big issue.
private-radio
I don't know. I get somewhat frightened when Im in Derby. Its the only place I have experienced 'gay abuse'! I guess there is no where quite like home.

Its easy to find a scapegoat for one's disadvantages - I always thought the north blamed Lady Thatcher?! I know the Scottish do...

I do love Mrs. Thatcher!

The North blamed Lady Thatcher for "taking away" their jobs and not spending any money up North.

I hate her for the latter point (i.e. allowing council estates and schools and hospitals etc to become run down), but the working class of the North mostly brought about the unemployment she gave them themselves.

There is little difference between living standards in the North and in Scotland (especially the Central Belt), except that Scotland is poorer than your average city in the North.

Plus, just ignore the abuse that people give you. That way you get used to it.
Reply 34
I hate northerners.
Reply 35
I went to Leeds and Newcastle last year and the amount of racist scum there are they was unbelievable. Not only racist, but they're all so full of themselves.
Steezy
I've got family in Oldham (Chadderton to be precise) and to anyone who hasn't been there, it's horrible. Dreary place with skinheads, dark weather (usually), and just a main road running through it. But the people are usually very friendly (the women anyway). Doen South, we usually have nicer surroundings, but the people are less friendly. Doesn't make sense really.

It almost sounded like you meant "skinhead" in a derogatory way... :colonhash:

I'm from the South, and from personal experience, it does seem that Northerners are slightly friendlier towards randomers. For example, if some random person came up and started chatting with me on the street then dependant on whether what they are saying is interesting, I'll probably ignore them.
I dislike being hassled, especially by people I don't know.
****** northern ******* *****
Reply 38
Ive lived in the South all my life ( used to live in London but now in Dorset). I found that people keep them much more to themselves and there is a stronger sense of independence in London, with people at times acting hostile towards one another, partly because they may feel scared of threatened. In Dorset, its completely different, because people live so close together and there is much less to do than in a big city, people tend to be a lot more open and friendlier with more emphasis on the community.
Having said that, in the few times ive been up to Northern England (Manchester, Liverpool, Yorkshire) I found that people are a lot more open and welcoming, and almost less suspicious than people in other southern cities. Although I dont think the south can be generalised as being completely unfriendly.
Reply 39
im from the north and agree that northerns are more friendly. i think the south is cleaner though...

anyone know what brighton is like? im going there for uni in september and didnt get the chance to go to an open day.

Latest

Trending

Trending