The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Apprenhensive about freshers week

Hi, I wasnt expecting getting into Newcastle at all, as i thought my exams went terrible and i had my heart set on my insurance of Keele. Im a quiet person and not a party animal and Newcastle has a rep for being a party city. Im worried that i wont fit in at all. I choose Newcastle purely for the course as it was the only one that offered me combined honours, now im worried i will be left out and by myself.

Anyone else feel the same? or picked Newcastle for similar reasons to me??

Scroll to see replies

Newcastle also has the reputation of being one of the best student cities, not just party cities. By that I mean, going out clubbing or partying or whatever is only one of the many things you can do there.

I went up to Newcastle for a weekend a couple of months ago and it's such a nice city, very friendly, clean, with so many different things to do and see.

You certainly won't be the only person who doesn't want to party 24/7, there are loads of other activities going on during Freshers and throughout the year like pub quizzes, bowling, paint balling etc... And there are loads of societies to join to meet people that share the same interests as you.

Basically, don't worry; almost everyone will be feeling anxious about going to uni but you'll do great at Newcastle, it's a great uni and city!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cdsmith1990
Newcastle also has the reputation of being one of the best student cities, not just party cities. By that I mean, going out clubbing or partying or whatever is only one of the many things you can do there.

I went up to Newcastle for a weekend a couple of months ago and it's such a nice city, very friendly, clean, with so many different things to do and see.

You certainly won't be the only person who doesn't want to party 24/7, there are loads of other activities going on during Freshers and throughout the year like pub quizzes, bowling, paint balling etc... And there are loads of societies to join to meet people that share the same interests as you.

Basically, don't worry; almost everyone will be feeling anxious about going to uni but you'll do great at Newcastle, it's a great uni and city!

thanks for your help, are u a fresher this yr and what are you studying, i hope i like it but im very anxiious about it tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by leavingsosoon?
Hi, I wasnt expecting getting into Newcastle at all, as i thought my exams went terrible and i had my heart set on my insurance of Keele. Im a quiet person and not a party animal and Newcastle has a rep for being a party city. Im worried that i wont fit in at all. I choose Newcastle purely for the course as it was the only one that offered me combined honours, now im worried i will be left out and by myself.

Anyone else feel the same? or picked Newcastle for similar reasons to me??

I had the same when I started uni a couple of years ago, I'm not a clubber really, and didn't want to take part in any of the freshers madness that usually goes on!

When I got to uni, it was completely different to how I imagined, there were loads of people the same as me. I mean don't get me wrong, you've got to go out and meet them, and you will do, either through clubs or societies or on your course.

You definitely don't have to go out all the time though if that's not your thing! I mean at the end of the day, uni is about getting a degree more than going out! You will fit in fine though...don't worry! Just be yourself, and you'll meet people like you. The worst thing you could do would be to pretend you're into going out all the time and going along with it if its not what you really want to do.

At first I did find some of the nights hard when everyone went out and I didn't, but I'm really happy now, and have friends who are like me. Itll be fine don't worry! :smile:
thanks for your help, are u a fresher this yr and what are you studying, i hope i like it but im very anxiious about it tbh.

No worries! And I am yeah, I'm 21 though, didn't do A-levels, did an Access course instead. I'm studying BEng Engineering with a Foundation Year :biggrin:

I'm really nervous too though man, I've suffered from anxiety for years now and I'll still be popping pills when I start in 5 weeks but I'm determined to enjoy the whole experience
:lol:

But just try to remember that most freshers will be thinking the same as you, but you're bound to meet some decent people pretty quickly :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by cdsmith1990
No worries! And I am yeah, I'm 21 though, didn't do A-levels, did an Access course instead. I'm studying BEng Engineering with a Foundation Year :biggrin:

I'm really nervous too though man, I've suffered from anxiety for years now and I'll still be popping pills when I start in 5 weeks but I'm determined to enjoy the whole experience
:lol:

But just try to remember that most freshers will be thinking the same as you, but you're bound to meet some decent people pretty quickly :biggrin:

Thank you, youve tried to calm me down, anxiety almost ruined my a levels , so thats why i was so suprised to of got in. good luck to you at newcastle and hope to meet you there.
Reply 6
Original post by Jack QC
I had the same when I started uni a couple of years ago, I'm not a clubber really, and didn't want to take part in any of the freshers madness that usually goes on!

When I got to uni, it was completely different to how I imagined, there were loads of people the same as me. I mean don't get me wrong, you've got to go out and meet them, and you will do, either through clubs or societies or on your course.

You definitely don't have to go out all the time though if that's not your thing! I mean at the end of the day, uni is about getting a degree more than going out! You will fit in fine though...don't worry! Just be yourself, and you'll meet people like you. The worst thing you could do would be to pretend you're into going out all the time and going along with it if its not what you really want to do.

At first I did find some of the nights hard when everyone went out and I didn't, but I'm really happy now, and have friends who are like me. Itll be fine don't worry! :smile:

Thanks for your help, im just abit worried as its Newcastle and its a -party city, i hope to meet people like me but i no it wont come on a plate. im glad ur enjoying uni now.
Reply 7
I'm ****ting one as well- I think most people are. Its a big thing moving out of your parents and away to different city where you don't know anyone and being expected to make new friends and live independently.

Just remember you are in the same boat as everyone else. There is thousands of students at Newcastle- not all of them are going to be party animals.
I wasn't expecting to get in either, met my offer exactly. Thought I'd have to go to Sunderland (god forbid) and stay at home.
Bought the freshers wristband yesterday, theres some class stuff going on, im particularly looking forward to quad biking and paintballing.

Still very anxious, I'm not really a party guy either, I live 20 mins from the town and only just turned 18 so don't really go to town. Hopefully the flat parties will be pleasant enough to attend.
Reply 9
Original post by CalaveraCarl
I wasn't expecting to get in either, met my offer exactly. Thought I'd have to go to Sunderland (god forbid) and stay at home.
Bought the freshers wristband yesterday, theres some class stuff going on, im particularly looking forward to quad biking and paintballing.

Still very anxious, I'm not really a party guy either, I live 20 mins from the town and only just turned 18 so don't really go to town. Hopefully the flat parties will be pleasant enough to attend.

Hi, im a localish student as well, lol at least u didnt have to go to sunderland, what are you studying? well done for meeting ur offer, i was so suprised to get in as well.
Original post by Azog 150
I'm ****ting one as well- I think most people are. Its a big thing moving out of your parents and away to different city where you don't know anyone and being expected to make new friends and live independently.

Just remember you are in the same boat as everyone else. There is thousands of students at Newcastle- not all of them are going to be party animals.

Hi, im nervous as well as i really wasnt expecting to get in and it makes me so scared when i think about going as its such as shock, what are u studying?
Reply 11
Hi, I am also feeling quite nervous about freshers week. I'm a local student so am not staying in halls, and I get the feeling a lot of people will be doing freshers with their new flatmates so I'm kind of nervous about meeting new people. I have bought a freshers wristband though and hope to do as many activities as possible to meet new people.
Reply 12
Hi, im nervous as well as i really wasnt expecting to get in and it makes me so scared when i think about going as its such as shock, what are u studying?

History, and I'm going to be in Marris House

You?
Original post by Azog 150
History, and I'm going to be in Marris House

You?

oh cool im doing history as part of combined honours! im getting worried now and wishing i picked my second choice as its smaller, i still havent heard about accomadation.
Original post by darren86
Hi, I am also feeling quite nervous about freshers week. I'm a local student so am not staying in halls, and I get the feeling a lot of people will be doing freshers with their new flatmates so I'm kind of nervous about meeting new people. I have bought a freshers wristband though and hope to do as many activities as possible to meet new people.

im having regrets about going already, i havent got a wrist band, how did u buy one? i still havent heard about accomodation, try not to worry hopefully well all make friends.
Reply 15
Hey, im gunna be a new student just like you guys.

Just wanna reassure you that whatever your preconceptions of uni life are, i believe its truly what you make of it. If you enjoy quiet drinks rather than clubbing till 4am, im sure theres a place for that. Theres literally tons and tons of societies and clubs/groups to join, your almost certain to find something enjoyable.

At worst, even if you end up in a flat surrounded by people who like to party hard or such, so long as you keep a friendly relationship with them, you can enjoy a fruitful social life with friends you make through other means, weather on your course, in your club or who youve randomly met :smile:

Personally, i am one of the "lets party till 4am" bunch, but i have respect for other people, not gunna ruin somebody elses uni experience by trying to force it on them. My biggest worry is that il get a flat full of nob'eds, or my halls will be completely dull with no social activity, and "prison like", which ive heard a few people say about Quay Point, where im staying.

Fingers crossed and best of luck to you all!
Reply 16
There are quite a few people on my course who don't go out much. What accommodation do you have? The nightlife in Newcastle is vast anyway so there's something for everyone really, you should give it a chance, at least in Freshers week as it's a great way to meet people.
Reply 17
im having regrets about going already, i havent got a wrist band, how did u buy one? i still havent heard about accomodation, try not to worry hopefully well all make friends.

Yes I'm sure most people at this stage regardless of their situation will be a little apprehensive but that is all part of the experience and to be honest I'm also very excited about the whole thing.

You can order the freshers wristband online at http://www.nusu.co.uk/freshers
You order online and pick it up when you arrive, it has some information about the different activities too which seem really good. I'm more interested in the day time activities as I'm quite used to the nightlife with being local, but will probably go to some of the night time activities too.
Original post by Aubydoll
There are quite a few people on my course who don't go out much. What accommodation do you have? The nightlife in Newcastle is vast anyway so there's something for everyone really, you should give it a chance, at least in Freshers week as it's a great way to meet people.

thanks for ur help, im really worried now as i wish i picked my second choice, i stilll havent got accomdation but applied to victoria hall.
Original post by Aubydoll

im staying in castle leazes- my last choice lol, i heard its wild in there, and im the quiet sort!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending