The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography Unit 2 24th Jan

Hi guys is there any other people who are sitting this exam and have any ideas for what the questions could be? My teacher wasn't very helpful in giving me predictions :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It could be literally anything I guess. Our class was split in predicting whether it would be about rivers or population for that half. What do you want it to be?
Reply 2
I would prefer it to be physical because I enjoy that a lot more. I wouldn't mind it on human geography but my class are split on which they think its going to be aswell :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I'm confused. Isn't Unit 2 the Geographical Skills paper?
Reply 4
Original post by Lumen
I'm confused. Isn't Unit 2 the Geographical Skills paper?

Yeah it is, but the first question is going to have a context from either Rivers or Population Change. Basically all the graphs and charts etc are all going to be based on one of these areas.

Second question is the fieldwork, which is quite straightforward as long as you have learnt it all inside out..
Reply 5
Original post by coolcric321
Yeah it is, but the first question is going to have a context from either Rivers or Population Change. Basically all the graphs and charts etc are all going to be based on one of these areas.

Second question is the fieldwork, which is quite straightforward as long as you have learnt it all inside out..

Oh I see. Sorry, I was having a stupid moment. :tongue:
Reply 6
How has everyone revised for this exam?
Our teacher recommended we spend 80% of our time revising our fieldwork notes. I found it difficult to know what to revise in terms of question 1 short of again going through all the theory on Population and Rivers. I would recommend getting familiar with (Population) Demographic Transition Model, population pyramids and (Rivers) landforms etc.

I've tried the past paper and they seem relatively straightforward but there are some tricky questions. I recommend going through those for revision.
I think if its human, its less likely to be theory related, more describing and explaining graphs, but if its physical, it'll have more about rivers and stuff...i hope its population for that reason:/ I also found some stuff in the past papers we weren't taught, like standard deviation, qualitative and quantatitive data... i hope they wont come up again!
Reply 9
Make sure you know your case studies - particulary for the re-branding part!
Also, fieldwork and research DESCRIBE DESCRIBE DESCRIBE! Include primary and secondary! Different sources! GIS, newspaper articles - which ones? The Echo, local press' etc. Also fieldwork - surverys, environmental quality graphs, litter count, traffic count, house prices survery, sand dune measuring, bi-polar survery. Secondary data - Census! 2001 - 2011 not available yet - could say it wasn't reliable because it's 10 years out of date!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 10
Original post by Lottie18
Make sure you know your case studies - particulary for the re-branding part!
Also, fieldwork and research DESCRIBE DESCRIBE DESCRIBE! Include primary and secondary! Different sources! GIS, newspaper articles - which ones? The Echo, local press' etc. Also fieldwork - surverys, environmental quality graphs, litter count, traffic count, house prices survery, sand dune measuring, bi-polar survery. Secondary data - Census! 2001 - 2011 not available yet - could say it wasn't reliable because it's 10 years out of date!

Good luck everyone!

What is a GIS?
Reply 11
Original post by sophxoxo
What is a GIS?

Google earth - satalite imaging! :smile:
Ok. Any tips on answer structure?
Are we free to make diagrams and present our answers like an article?
its most likely to be on rivers :'( it goes in a pattern but hopefully this years paper will be an anomoly :smile: the lowest needed for an A is 33 while highest is 35 from 2009 onwards... for 100 ums u need atleast 40-43 its changes... good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by thepastpaper
its most likely to be on rivers :'( it goes in a pattern but hopefully this years paper will be an anomoly :smile: the lowest needed for an A is 33 while highest is 35 from 2009 onwards... for 100 ums u need atleast 40-43 its changes... good luck everyone :smile:

Last year you needed to get 48 out of 60 to get an A..
Reply 15
Last years exam was on rivers, so its more likely to be population if they follow the usual trend.
Reply 16
Original post by Harry.K
Last year you needed to get 48 out of 60 to get an A..

The paper is out of 50, in June last year you needed 43/50 for an A
Reply 17
I'm still stuck on the questions like hat was the aim/purpose of your investigation, any help?
has everyone prepared there answers for the fieldwork section?
i got a B in the mock, but my teacher was not clear as to the boundaries. does anyone have june/jan 2011 grade boundaries? thnx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending