The Student Room Group

Good mix of a levels?

I am applying for colleges at the moment and am aware that for most you're asked to do 4 AS Levels. I have decided on:
AS English Literature
AS Philosophy
AS Government and Politics

I am currently studying ICT, French, Geography, triple science, Maths, English and P.E and R.E - i am predicted A's and B's.

I can't decide another subject to take i am considering Geography because it's the subject that i am doing best in at GCSE (A*) but have heard that it's really hard at A Level and am not sure if it will mix well with my other choices? Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be an interesting subject to fit with the rest? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you thought about what you want to do at university? If you're going down that route.
Reply 2
Interesting has nothing to do with it.

Pick the subjects that your ideal universities require for you to apply to the degree that you want to do. That's it. Doing anything otherwise could be catastrophic.
Reply 3
I think its a very good mix of alevels, I'm taking very similar ones (and am getting As and Bs also at GCSE) and hope to do philosophy at uni :smile:
Definitely do geography, I read that its one of the easiest a-levels but its still respected, but only do it if you enjoy it though!
Reply 4
French all the way :smile: people with language skills are generally more employable, it's a lot of work but I do enjoy it.
Geography as a humanity and in many ways a social science would fit well with your other subjects.

Also the fact that is has scientific aspects to it will make your subjects more well rounded, and since you're good at it, it makes sense to continue with it.
Reply 6
Why don't you replace Politics with History? Much more fun and respected, and you don't need to have taken it at GCSE. Plus, it also compliments Geography.
English, Philosophy, Geography and Histpru would be a great bunch of subjects IMO.
Geography is relatively easy at a-level . . . well it's a lot harder than gcse but easier than many other a-levels.

What about history/psychology/economics/maths? any of those four or geography fit well together with your other subjects. I's good to have a mix of subjects but IMO there isn't much point in having 4 arts/humanities then 1 from bio/chem/phys as you can't really do anything with that science as you need at least 2 to get onto almost every science degree that isn't a foundation course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Newky
Interesting has nothing to do with it.

Pick the subjects that your ideal universities require for you to apply to the degree that you want to do. That's it. Doing anything otherwise could be catastrophic.

Yes, i think that interesting has alot to do with it because if you're not going to enjoy the course you won't be enthusiastic enough to put lots of effort in.
Reply 9
Original post by CallieCat
French all the way :smile: people with language skills are generally more employable, it's a lot of work but I do enjoy it.

I would love to do French a level but unfortunately don't think i will be able to achieve a B at GCSE. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Clare~Bear
Geography is relatively easy at a-level . . . well it's a lot harder than gcse but easier than many other a-levels.

What about history/psychology/economics/maths? those four and geography all fit together. I's good to have a mix of subjects but IMO there isn't much point in having 4 arts/humanities then 1 from bio/chem/phys as you can't really do anything with that science as you need at least 2 to get onto almost every science degree that isn't a foundation course.

Thanks for reply think geography is the way to go :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by abbie-here
Yes, i think that interesting has alot to do with it because if you're not going to enjoy the course you won't be enthusiastic enough to put lots of effort in.

No. If you were talking about degree level I'd agree with you. The sole purpose of A-levels is to meet the entry requirements of the degree you want to do at university. So you must simply take the A-levels that are required. Chances are you'll find some enjoyment as they'll be relevant to the degree you want to do but the broadness of A-levels means you won't enjoy everything you study - that's life. You can't always do everything you want, at least not until university.
Reply 12
I am aware that A-levels are there to meet entry requirements to get into university. A-levels that interest me are going to lead onto a course at uni that interests me, i know A-levels link to university courses. I am interested in english/philosophy/politics therefore i would want to do something along those lines at university. I don't like science so i wouldn't do A-Levels in them because i'm not planning on doing a science degree. So yes, i do want my A-levels to be interesting -because they will lead me into a degree i am interested in.
Reply 13
Original post by Newky
No. If you were talking about degree level I'd agree with you. The sole purpose of A-levels is to meet the entry requirements of the degree you want to do at university. So you must simply take the A-levels that are required. Chances are you'll find some enjoyment as they'll be relevant to the degree you want to do but the broadness of A-levels means you won't enjoy everything you study - that's life. You can't always do everything you want, at least not until university.

I am aware that A-levels are there to meet entry requirements to get into university. A-levels that interest me are going to lead onto a course at uni that interests me, i know A-levels link to university courses. I am interested in english/philosophy/politics therefore i would want to do something along those lines at university. I don't like science so i wouldn't do A-Levels in them because i'm not planning on doing a science degree. So yes, i do want my A-levels to be interesting -because they will lead me into a degree i am interested in.
Reply 14

Sure, but not always. You need to find a specific degree that you want to do.
Entry requirements can be very exact. Lack of one particular subject might mean that you are unable to do the degree you want to do.
Geography fits in well with whatever subject you will consider later on, and it shows a variety of different skills to universities which is always good. But what you have heard about it is wrong, like everyone else on this has said it isn't difficult (obviously it is a step up from GCSE but it is much smaller than ALL the other A-levels I've done). I found it really enjoyable and has tied in with other subjects I did, for you it might tie in with politics? It also really helped with general knowledge and understanding key issues so in that way probably would help with philosophy
Reply 16
I am applying for colleges at the moment and am aware that for most you're asked to do 4 AS Levels. I have decided on:
AS English Literature
AS Philosophy

I am currently studying ICT, French, Geography, triple science, Maths, English and P.E and R.E - i am predicted A's and B's.

I can't decide another subject to take i am considering Geography because it's the subject that i am doing best in at GCSE (A*) but have heard that it's really hard at A Level and am not sure if it will mix well with my other choices? Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be an interesting subject to fit with the rest? Thanks!

That's terrible! What are you playing at? I would never employ someone with those cod-**** A Levels! No, seriously that's fine.
Reply 17
I would love to do French a level but unfortunately don't think i will be able to achieve a B at GCSE. :frown:

Aw, which bit of it are you struggling most with?
Reply 18
AS English Literature
AS Philosophy

I took geography as my last subject too :smile:
At GCSE I got A* and thought "Urgh I might as well do it"
And now I love it even more at A level.
A lot of the topics are similar to GCSE, and there not THAT much harder, honestly.
Geography is also really diverse, and it doesn't matter about subject mix, I took English, Biology, Geography and Business and I know many people who took different subjects. Many unis like it as it shows your knowledge is wide!
AND I find Geography realllyyyy interesting!
WOO DO GEOGRAPHY !:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by CallieCat
Aw, which bit of it are you struggling most with?

Definitely the writing and speaking, i can't remember it at all :frown: any tips? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest