The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Great link.

Do you have some more essay questions? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Jorgeyy
That link is awesome, thanks for sharing!

+rep :biggrin:

thanx Jorgeyy :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by j.po
Great link.

Do you have some more essay questions? :smile:

try these:-

-The Causes of Variation and its biological importance

-How Microscopes have contributed to our understanding of living organisms

-The Factors which influence the concentration of glucose in the blood
Reply 43
Original post by al_habib
-How Microscopes have contributed to our understanding of living organisms

That would be horrible.. how could we write 25 marks on that? :frown:
Original post by Heyimdec

We couldn't, it doesn't cover the specification broadly enough so wouldn't be an essay question.
Reply 45
Original post by SpringNicht
We've got section 3.5.8 to go and we're done wooooo

Only the EMPA and revision to go soon :smile:

:eek: We've done a whole two topics (although I have one terrible teacher, we spent last lesson learning about cystic fibrosis and not for gene therapy and the one before redoing some Biol 1 for no reason. :frown: )
Original post by Chihiro94
:eek: We've done a whole two topics (although I have one terrible teacher, we spent last lesson learning about cystic fibrosis and not for gene therapy and the one before redoing some Biol 1 for no reason. :frown: )

I think it's probably because we only took a week off learning unit 5 in january to revise lol :colondollar:
Reply 47
Original post by DoaaK
jan 2012 paper anyone?

How many times does this need explaining, there are no January papers for this exam. It is yearly only. :frown:
Reply 48
Original post by NutterFrutter
We couldn't, it doesn't cover the specification broadly enough so wouldn't be an essay question.

it is horrible essay question i've to admit, it was one of the P/P questions
if we had this essay we need to dig deep and try to make LINKS from different angles on the spec.
this is how i'll approach it
-describe the structures and functions of light and electron microscope.
-describe the structures and function of different organelles produced from electron microscope,
-choose an organelle such as mitochondria explain Glycolysis--> Link Reaction--> ETC.
-Nuclei-DNA, Trnscription--> Translation--> Ribosomes-->formation of protein
-Chloroplast-light dependent and independent
-Neurones-Describe both neurones, How Resting Potential is maintained, AP, How impulse is transmitted both non & myelinated sheath, across synapse, Neuromascular Junction.

you can go on & on, without microscope we'll never had this info.:tongue:
it is horrible essay question i've to admit, it was one of the P/P questions
if we had this essay we need to dig deep and try to make LINKS from different angles on the spec.
this is how i'll approach it
-describe the structures and functions of light and electron microscope.
-describe the structures and function of different organelles produced from electron microscope,
-choose an organelle such as mitochondria explain Glycolysis--> Link Reaction--> ETC.
-Nuclei-DNA, Trnscription--> Translation--> Ribosomes-->formation of protein
-Chloroplast-light dependent and independent
-Neurones-Describe both neurones, How Resting Potential is maintained, AP, How impulse is transmitted both non & myelinated sheath, across synapse, Neuromascular Junction.

you can go on & on, without microscope we'll never had this info.:tongue:

Was it a question on the current specification (post-2008)?
Reply 50

^^ hope that helps
Reply 51
Original post by NutterFrutter
Was it a question on the current specification (post-2008)?

I have lists of essay questions am not sure which year is it specifically
Reply 52
Original post by thegodofgod
What do you need help with? :redface:

I was supposed to do an essay (1000 words) on the ethics of using animals for recombinant DNA technology, and ended up writing 1100 words on Diabetes and insulin :biggrin:

I was suppose to give a 3 minute presentation on diabetes and insulin, ended up spending 30 minutes on my presentation.
Reply 53
I love this unit, human biology and essay question it is right up my street.:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Besakt
I love this unit, human biology and essay question it is right up my street.:smile:

love this unit as well, i got an essay to write this weekend- Transfer through ecosystem.
Reply 55
love this unit as well, i got an essay to write this weekend- Transfer through ecosystem.

We haven't started doing essay practice yet. :redface:
Reply 56
Original post by Besakt
We haven't started doing essay practice yet. :redface:

Niether have we. Does anyone have any examples or guidance? I want to go ahead and start (I really don't trust my teacher)
Reply 57
^^ hope that helps

Half of that stuff you listed is so indirectly related to microscopes, I can't see how it would score many marks. It seems we can just write anything from any of units. :tongue:
Reply 58
Half of that stuff you listed is so indirectly related to microscopes, I can't see how it would score many marks. It seems we can just write anything from any of units. :tongue:

thats how essays are, if you don't comprehend the title try to make connections across the spec rather than leaving empty.I would be happy if you chip in and correct my mistakes. :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by Chihiro94
Niether have we. Does anyone have any examples or guidance? I want to go ahead and start (I really don't trust my teacher)

lets go through this essay "Transfer Through Ecosystem"

make a plan - jot down all points

2nd Expand on your points.

lets start cracking

An ecosystem comprises all the interactions between all the biotic (living) and abiotic (non-living) features in a given area at a given time. When these features interact, chemical elements, materials and energy are transferred and flow through the various components. This essay will describe these transfers with an emphasis on compounds of carbon, nitrogen, water and energy.

1st paragraph define ecosystem, collate all the points you'll include the rest of your essay in this paragraph.

from the definition, there is abiotic factor that is transferred through ecosystem, expand now,
abiotic factor for instance light
+Light-->absorbed by chlorophyll-->excites e- to high energy level-->ATP formed-->NADPH formed through photolsys-->photlysis replaces the lost e.

+ATP and NADPH used in light independent-->to reduce GP to TP--> TP forms glucose & regenerates RUBP.

+Glucose is used as respiratory substance in the intestinal epithelium-->provide energy for Na-Glucose co-transport-->glucose enters through carrier protein channel using facilitated diffusion into blood.

+In the cytoplasm glucose is phosphorylated to TP-->2 ATP and H produced-->pyruvate formed penetrates to mitochondria if o2 present, if not lactate/alcohol in plants is formed.
pyruvate-->Acetyl CoA, CO2 and H released--> 4C Oxaloacetate combines with 2C Acetyl CoA to Form 6C Citrate in the kreb Cycle.
all the H combines with NAD and FAD to form FADH and NADH.-->this is used in ETC where e- transported through channel proteins in redox reaction-->ATP forms

+Describe how N2 from the air is used to form No3 and explain how this is transferred to the plants.

+How water is absorbed from roots through apoplastic and symplastic pathway to xylem and into the leaves.

hope that helps, if you have questions ask:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest