The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hood_Man
I was going to reply to Ciarán properly, but it was quicker to just quote this and change it slightly since it shares the EXACT same description :colondollar:

So you too have experienced AndyMurray's forums and MTF? :smile:

Not too mention some of the horrendous trolling that goes on there. Infact, if you head over there now, you may be lucky enough to catch the thread questioning Andy Murray's decline. :borat:
LOL! I post mainly on tennisforum.com. You should check out the trolling there...I do have an account at MensTennisForum, but I don't post there too often as I watch a lot more WTA than I do ATP. Favourite players guys?
Original post by joshiep
Murray loses to garcia lopez.

The embarrassment.

Federer and Del Potro looking good, i hope they can dispatch Nadal and Djokovic in the SF.

As an aside with Federer playing Djokovic and Nadal playing Del Potro there must be a greater chance of an upset given that Federer seems to cope better with Djokovic and Del Potro should have beaten Nadal at Wimbledon.
Original post by Ciarán
LOL! I post mainly on tennisforum.com. You should check out the trolling there...I do have an account at MensTennisForum, but I don't post there too often as I watch a lot more WTA than I do ATP. Favourite players guys?

Tsonga and Murray. :smile:

You?
Original post by JaggySnake95
Tsonga and Murray. :smile:

You?

I quite like Jo-Wilfried too. He's very much an explosive player. Murray...*yawn* sorry! He's the ATP's answer to Wozniacki.

My favourites are Wawrinka, Nishikori & Monfils. On the womens side; Paszek, Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova. You don't have any WTA favourites at all? :mmm:
Original post by Ciarán
I quite like Jo-Wilfried too. He's very much an explosive player. Murray...*yawn* sorry! He's the ATP's answer to Wozniacki.

My favourites are Wawrinka, Nishikori & Monfils. On the womens side; Paszek, Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova. You don't have any WTA favourites at all? :mmm:

What!? So a pplayer who accounted for half of the AO semi this year is boring?

Don't care much for women's tennis - now that is boring! Wozniacki, Georges, Ivanovic etc. if I had to choose though.
What!? So a pplayer who accounted for half of the AO semi this year is boring?

Don't care much for women's tennis - now that is boring! Wozniacki, Georges, Ivanovic etc. if I had to choose though.

Yes, incredibly so. Don't even get me started on Wozniacki :frown:. Goerges and Ivanovic are both very talented...off the fh wing. Ivanovic's lack of bh is absolutely hilarious, how she got to #1 and won Roland Garros I will never know. Her game is ridiculously flawed. Sure she hits a few great fh's but that's it really...and the ball toss LOL. I don't know what to expect from Julia's career. Thus far I see a one trick pony, much like Ivanovic. She has the ability to play well but there are a number of fundamental flaws in her game. Wozniacki's fh...LOL! Gosh, you sure like your flops!
Original post by Ciarán
Yes, incredibly so. Don't even get me started on Wozniacki :frown:. Goerges and Ivanovic are both very talented...off the fh wing. Ivanovic's lack of bh is absolutely hilarious, how she got to #1 and won Roland Garros I will never know. Her game is ridiculously flawed. Sure she hits a few great fh's but that's it really...and the ball toss LOL. I don't know what to expect from Julia's career. Thus far I see a one trick pony, much like Ivanovic. She has the ability to play well but there are a number of fundamental flaws in her game. Wozniacki's fh...LOL! Gosh, you sure like your flops!

I only like them cause of their looks mind.

I wouldn't call Andy Murray a flop. (I'm assuming you were referring back to him, no?) He's got to the semi's or better in the last five majors (only 7 people have managed 4 in one year ever), so he's obviously very good. He's also been pretty unlucky in getting his 1st slam. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer all had easy 1st slams so the rest become much easier whereas Murray has always had tough players come finals day.
(edited 12 years ago)
I only like them cause of their looks mind.

I wouldn't call Andy Murray a flop. (I'm assuming you were referring back to him, no?) He's got to the semi's or better in the last five majors (only 7 people have managed 4 in one year ever), so he's obviously very good. He's also been pretty unlucky in getting his 1st slam. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer all had easy 1st slams so the rest become much easier whereas Murray has always had tough players come finals day.

He's not a flop, just not good enough and its not just to do with this era either. I would rate roddick, hewitt and safin as better hard court players than he is at their peaks, roddick espicially is better at grass than he is. He's still better than henman though, if thats any consolation.
Original post by internet tough guy
He's not a flop, just not good enough and its not just to do with this era either. I would rate roddick, hewitt and safin as better hard court players than he is at their peaks, roddick espicially is better at grass than he is. He's still better than henman though, if thats any consolation.

Disagree. Him and Djokovic were on par up until a few years ago and very much on the same level. Djokovic got his 1st Grand Slam (and like Federer and Nadal, was lucky with the match he had in the final) and Andy was unlucky enough to come up against Federer Federer Djokovic in his 3 finals. That's horrid luck, particularly when you consider the form they were in.

To say Murray isn't good enough is stupid. He's proven that he can beat them, and there isn't much Djokovic does better than Murray. Murray has a better serve and can volley better so they are pretty even in terms of their game. Murray just needs to sort his mentality out slightly and he's sorted. He's brought in Lendl, and after only a couple weeks there was already a significant difference which can be seen in the AO Semi-Final.
Reply 2730
Poor Murray, got destroyed once more. Truth be told, he played his best tennis, but Garcia-Lopez proved to be too much for him to handle. Murray threw everything at him but couldn't get the job done. Hopefully Murray can drop out of the top 20 and be replaced by someone with more character and flair, e.g. Mardy Fish.
Disagree. Him and Djokovic were on par up until a few years ago and very much on the same level. Djokovic got his 1st Grand Slam (and like Federer and Nadal, was lucky with the match he had in the final) and Andy was unlucky enough to come up against Federer Federer Djokovic in his 3 finals. That's horrid luck, particularly when you consider the form they were in.

To say Murray isn't good enough is stupid. He's proven that he can beat them, and there isn't much Djokovic does better than Murray. Murray has a better serve and can volley better so they are pretty even in terms of their game. Murray just needs to sort his mentality out slightly and he's sorted. He's brought in Lendl, and after only a couple weeks there was already a significant difference which can be seen in the AO Semi-Final.

Jeez. Don't bring this argument back up again.

That's precisely why Murray isn't a major winner. It's all in the head. You're right, there's very little between the guys at the top in terms of play. They are all some of the finest people to ever play the game. What separates the very good from the great is what goes in the head. Murray's very good and sorting out your mentality is the hardest thing that can be done, especially now after so many failures.
Original post by Ciarán
Does anyone here post on any tennis forums? :smile:

menstennisforums. Most people there are nice, but some of the trolling there is simply unbelievable :tongue:

Hope Fed can recover from the flu in time for his match against Raonic. Apparently he's off the practice schedule again today.
Reply 2733
We should stick to the TSR Tennis Society for all tennis discussion, as there are no trolls here. Sometimes people just want to talk about tennis.
Original post by Zhy
We should stick to the TSR Tennis Society for all tennis discussion, as there are no trolls here. Sometimes people just want to talk about tennis.

Except that Zhy person, he's a right ****.
Except that Zhy person, he's a right ****.

Haha, i love Zhy. I did used to think he was a complete troll but when he's serious he's brilliant.

zhy - Perfect blend of true tennis fan and troll.

Well saying he's got it in him to win a slam is like saying someone like tsonga or berdych are capable of this as well. Fact is, on their day most players in the top 10 have the talent to beat any of the top 4, the question is can they do it in slams and play consistently well during these two weeks when everyone ups their game? You see, thats the same situation with murray IMO. He may be unlucky in the opponent he's had in the GS finals, but he hasn't even won a single set in those matches - that says something about himself as well. And I would say the federer he faced in 2008 wasn't in sparkling form or confidence either, having come into the final fresh from the worst patch of his career in what was a dreadful year for him.

Also, had del potro stayed relatively fit since his US open win, I doubt murray would be occupying 4th in the rankings right now. Provided del potro doesn't suffer another major injury, I think he will overtake murray sometime next year.

As for the djokovic-murray debate, I agree murray has a better serve, djokovic has a slightly better return though. I don't agree with you saying theres not much between them, both are defensive players in general, but djoko's attacking shots are much better - he's has that offensive edge which both murray and nadal don't quite have. Stamina-wise, I think djoko wins this hands down, I imagine it would be another straight sets defeat for murray had he gone through to face nadal. And mentally, djokovic is simply on another planet compared to murray, he is the toughest in this area out of the top 4, it was really impressive to see him contiually come back from several big disappointments during the US open and australian open final, most players (maybe federer and nadal as well) would've almost certainly crumbled under those situations.
Original post by Rakas21
Haha, i love Zhy. I did used to think he was a complete troll but when he's serious he's brilliant.

zhy - Perfect blend of true tennis fan and troll.

So do I actually, could be far worse of a troll.
Original post by emmaaa88
menstennisforums. Most people there are nice, but some of the trolling there is simply unbelievable :tongue:

the nicknames given to players are hilarious - mugdal, nadull, frauderer, mugray, not sure if theres one for djokovic :confused:

love the rivalry/trolling between thre fanbase of different players
Reply 2739
Original post by internet tough guy
the nicknames given to players are hilarious - mugdal, nadull, frauderer, mugray, not sure if theres one for djokovic :confused:

love the rivalry/trolling between thre fanbase of different players

Who's Djokovic? You mean Possum/Cvac/Djesus?

Latest