The Student Room Group

UAL Accommodation

Is anyone else feeling a little ill looking at the prices?! I'm beginning to think I won't be able to go to CCW!

Scroll to see replies

i knew they'd be extortionate, i have savings to pay for my rent, but in order to live comfortably i'm going to have to work full time all summer i think! it is a bit crazy considering we don't get student loans/grants. have you considered sharing a house?
Reply 2
Original post by beccafairy
i knew they'd be extortionate, i have savings to pay for my rent, but in order to live comfortably i'm going to have to work full time all summer i think! it is a bit crazy considering we don't get student loans/grants. have you considered sharing a house?

I know! I really don't know what the options are - I'm going to the accommodation open day and I'm hoping that will ease my mind a little. It is a LOT considering it's only for foundation :/
Reply 3

That's what you get for doing a foundation...:rolleyes:

MUWHAHAHAHA:tongue:
Original post by l.j.s18ftw
That's what you get for doing a foundation...:rolleyes:

MUWHAHAHAHA:tongue:

excuse me? i've chosen to do it somewhere highly respected and away from home for my own personal reasons, if i didn't have the money to fund myself i would have done it locally, for free, as some of my friends have done and gotten onto top courses for next year (we're talking norwich, falmouth, UAL, etc). it's not at all necessary that i study here, and i have offers from cheaper places to live such as manchester and leeds, but it's down to my choice.
Reply 5
excuse me? i've chosen to do it somewhere highly respected and away from home for my own personal reasons, if i didn't have the money to fund myself i would have done it locally, for free, as some of my friends have done and gotten onto top courses for next year (we're talking norwich, falmouth, UAL, etc). it's not at all necessary that i study here, and i have offers from cheaper places to live such as manchester and leeds, but it's down to my choice.

Have fun...LOL
I'll be doing my advertising BA at uc falmouth.:tongue:

Also highly respected is relative, it isn't a guarantee for anything, do have any idea how many foundation students ual pump out each year?
And a fine art degree even from a highly respected uni is in NO WAY a guarantee for a job because of the subject matter.

Also just out of interest how much do you get from the government? For london?
With my rent covered I'll still have 5,000 left for the maintenance as I opted for cheap halls .
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by l.j.s18ftw
Have fun...LOL
I'll be doing my advertising BA at uc falmouth.:tongue:

Also highly respected is relative, it isn't a guarantee for anything, do have any idea how many foundation students ual pump out each year?
And a fine art degree even from a highly respected uni is in NO WAY a guarantee for a job because of the subject matter.

Also just out of interest how much do you get from the government? For london?
With my rent covered I'll still have 5,000 left for the maintenance as I opted for cheap halls .

but that's what i'm trying to say, i don't need to go somewhere highly respected, it's something i chose.. :s-smilie: i'm not doing fine art, i plan to work within the music industry and do illustration at the same time, maybe move onto doing it full time later in life if i have enough success, but that's my business.
you don't get anything from the government for a foundation diploma as it has to be a degree for you to be entitled to student finance, but you get just over £5,000 in maintenance loans as a minimum before they look into your household income, and grant is the same as outside of london. so basically an extra £2k minimum, which is pretty fair due to costs of living being higher :smile:
Reply 7
Not everyone who does foundation wants to do it for a degree - this will be my gap year before studying philosophy/theology. I wanted to apply so I can grow up a bit and learn a marketable skill in the process - I've offers from UAL and MMU but still don't know where to go :/
Original post by LucyEliClay
Not everyone who does foundation wants to do it for a degree - this will be my gap year before studying philosophy/theology. I wanted to apply so I can grow up a bit and learn a marketable skill in the process - I've offers from UAL and MMU but still don't know where to go :/

ooh, i was just wondering where all the MMU applicants were on the forum haha! i love the course there, but it's really expensive to get back home for me even when i book tickets in advance, and i don't know the city at all which is a bit scary! whereas i know london really well and the idea of living there excites me, plus i want to do my degree at camberwell :smile: apparently the workshops are really good there too.
but if the manchester course was somewhere more accessible to me, i'd choose to go there! i really like how it's smaller, really friendly, and there's more of an emphasis on drawing. lots cheaper to live there too. obviously it's your choice, but i hope my opinion helps you in some way, good luck!
Reply 9
ooh, i was just wondering where all the MMU applicants were on the forum haha! i love the course there, but it's really expensive to get back home for me even when i book tickets in advance, and i don't know the city at all which is a bit scary! whereas i know london really well and the idea of living there excites me, plus i want to do my degree at camberwell :smile: apparently the workshops are really good there too.
but if the manchester course was somewhere more accessible to me, i'd choose to go there! i really like how it's smaller, really friendly, and there's more of an emphasis on drawing. lots cheaper to live there too. obviously it's your choice, but i hope my opinion helps you in some way, good luck!

It's pretty much the opposite for me (: I always wanted to move to London when I was 18, and I still want to go to uni there, just the cost of living without a loan is a bit scary - but Manchester is on that really awkward border so if I wanted to move there I could, but I could also stay at home, and if I were to move out I'd so go to London if i could... This probably makes no sense :') Have you decided which halls you're applying to? Think I may see if I can get a place in the UAL halls and then decide for definite :smile:
It's pretty much the opposite for me (: I always wanted to move to London when I was 18, and I still want to go to uni there, just the cost of living without a loan is a bit scary - but Manchester is on that really awkward border so if I wanted to move there I could, but I could also stay at home, and if I were to move out I'd so go to London if i could... This probably makes no sense :') Have you decided which halls you're applying to? Think I may see if I can get a place in the UAL halls and then decide for definite :smile:

haha yes, i get you! i'd so rather live in london than manchester. i'm going to try and apply for three different room types all in the camberwell campus halls, need to email them to ask if this is possible though! if not, i'll apply to bernard myers and manna ash too. :smile: i don't like brooke hall as it's all self contained studio flats instead of shared and the communal area is tiny, seems a bit antisocial! bernard myers would be way cheaper to live in, but damn, camberwell campus. :wink:
Reply 11
I've literally just done that! I emailed asking if you could apply to different rooms within one hall of residence (: I think if I got a room in the Camberwell house I'd almost definatley go to London :') Is that a bit sad? Haha, which rooms are you thinking of? Think I may apply for a twin, just because on the video they seemed the biggest ones, even if you do have to share with someone :')
I've literally just done that! I emailed asking if you could apply to different rooms within one hall of residence (: I think if I got a room in the Camberwell house I'd almost definatley go to London :') Is that a bit sad? Haha, which rooms are you thinking of? Think I may apply for a twin, just because on the video they seemed the biggest ones, even if you do have to share with someone :')

no, not at all, it looks gorgeous! i kinda can't be dealin' with a shared bathroom, so i'm thinking a large en-suite as it's only £200 more than a standard. yes, the twin rooms are gonna be massive! i have a leaflet with the sizes of the room types, and it says twin rooms are 20x20m up to 30x30m+, so HUGE. there's no way i could share though hehe, i need my privacy!
Reply 13
Do you know the difference between the Standard Plus and the Large room at Camberwell Campus?? :smile:
Original post by RebeccaLdr
Do you know the difference between the Standard Plus and the Large room at Camberwell Campus?? :smile:

i think that it's just a little bit of a difference in size - because it's an old building they couldn't make all the rooms the same dimensions like in other halls, so that would explain the small difference in price? it's a shame it's not open for viewing until may, i'd love to see inside!
Reply 15
totally agree .. but do you think it could be because of the bed size?
cause i saw it depends (some halls have got big bed for standart room, other little bed :frown: ), if it's that i definitely would ask for the large bed :biggrin:
totally agree .. but do you think it could be because of the bed size?
cause i saw it depends (some halls have got big bed for standart room, other little bed :frown: ), if it's that i definitely would ask for the large bed :biggrin:

this leaflet i have for camberwell campus says that non-ensuite rooms have single beds, and en-suite ones have three quarter sized ones. as for twin rooms, standard ones have single beds and large ones have three quarter sized. not sure why that's not on their accommodation guide!
Reply 17
this leaflet i have for camberwell campus says that non-ensuite rooms have single beds, and en-suite ones have three quarter sized ones. as for twin rooms, standard ones have single beds and large ones have three quarter sized. not sure why that's not on their accommodation guide!

i'm not sure to have understand :/
soo, the standard plus should have a big bed? :smile:
i'm not sure to have understand :/
soo, the standard plus should have a big bed? :smile:

basically, the rooms without an en-suite (so standard and standard plus) will have a single bed, the rooms with an en-suite will have slightly bigger beds, and studio rooms (all sizes except from standard) have double beds, according to the leaflet they gave me at the accommodation open day. :smile:
Reply 19
basically, the rooms without an en-suite (so standard and standard plus) will have a single bed, the rooms with an en-suite will have slightly bigger beds, and studio rooms (all sizes except from standard) have double beds, according to the leaflet they gave me at the accommodation open day. :smile:

In case you're still interested - they said you could indeed apply to more than one room in one hall on your application :smile:

Quick Reply