The Student Room Group

Why are Asian countries in general so heavily populated?

India passed the 1 billion mark in 2000.China has the world's largest population but it is also a huge country, but so is Russia a large country but have a much smaller population?

Like Bangladesh for example there are 140 million people in an area the size of New York state or England.Pakistan has a huge population of 173,593,383, it is the sixth most populous country in the world.But in 1947, Pakistan had a population of 32.5 million.From 1990 to 2009 it increased at a rate of 57.2%.

Do they pop out babies like tic tacs?

Also, are large populations a blessing or a curse for a country?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because asians breed like rabbits, especially now that it's Easter :wink:
Reply 2
Lots of Asian questions today. I think the population density across most Asian nations are comparable to their African/European counterparts.

Maybe there is a distinct lack of contraception in those nations, or maybe people get bored so have more sex than in other nations on the planet?

How good or not it is depends on future growth rate projections, male:female ratios (the more skewed they are towards the men, the less future growth there will be, since the number of females is the limiting factor in population increase).

Also, the majority of the Russian mainland is often considered quite uninhabitable.
The fertility rates of Ind/Pak/Ban aren't that high anymore and are decreasing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate
Also if the UN's predictions are to be trusted the populations of those countries will start decreasing around 2070
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_future_population_(United_Nations,_Medium_variant)#Countries_and_territories_by_population_and_annual_change_from_2050_to_2075
(edited 11 years ago)
It used to be the norm to have a large family, it still is today, but to a lesser extent
Reply 5
lack of contraception due to religious/cultural and socioeconomic reasons
Reply 6
Because Asian women are so damn sexy
Reply 7
They love f*cking.
Reply 8
Because Durex have yet to expand over there
Original post by ROYP
Because Asian women are so damn sexy

I wish I could give this a thumbs up.
Reply 10
Original post by M4LLY
Because Durex have yet to expand over there

Nah I think that's just a stereotype
Reply 11
Original post by sword
lack of contraception due to religious/cultural and socioeconomic reasons

This

Original post by Politricks
It used to be the norm to have a large family, it still is today, but to a lesser extent

And this
Reply 12
Original post by ROYP
Nah I think that's just a stereotype

If you think about it many TNC's have expanded overseas such as Nike, Adidas, BMW, Ford, Toyota. You never know, Durex may be the next!!!
Reply 13
I suspect it's mainly because most of the area is poor enough that birth rates are still high, but rich enough that there haven't been any major wars, plagues or famines for decades to keep the population down. Some of the West African countries are in a similar position - Nigeria has a population of 170 million and is only slightly bigger than Pakistan.
Reply 14
because they're asian :rolleyes:
Dont know the women are more fertile there then the west i'd say.:dontknow:
Reply 16
Because Asians are in fact, clones.
Original post by Arbolus
I suspect it's mainly because most of the area is poor enough that birth rates are still high, but rich enough that there haven't been any major wars, plagues or famines for decades to keep the population down. Some of the West African countries are in a similar position - Nigeria has a population of 170 million and is only slightly bigger than Pakistan.

You think that's bad?
Bangladesh has a population of approximately 150,000,000 people, and it's half the size of the UK
Reply 18
In the case of India and China, because they're so large. Both have a lower population density than the UK.
Reply 19
Original post by effofex
Lots of Asian questions today. I think the population density across most Asian nations are comparable to their African/European counterparts.

Maybe there is a distinct lack of contraception in those nations, or maybe people get bored so have more sex than in other nations on the planet?

How good or not it is depends on future growth rate projections, male:female ratios (the more skewed they are towards the men, the less future growth there will be, since the number of females is the limiting factor in population increase).

Also, the majority of the Russian mainland is often considered quite uninhabitable.

maybe Asian men and Russian women need to hook up :wink: Apparently there are 9 million more Russian women than men.

also, why are Asians like 'disgusted' by sex like they find it dirty when they obviously have lots of it?