The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥ ♥
Why keep any of the older players? Yes, Laxman looked good against WI, still, surely India need to solely focus on the future prospects of the team.

I think, for our home tour it should be:

Gambhir, Rahane/Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Raina, Dhoni, Ashwin/Bhajji,Ojha, Yadav, Zak.

Test or ODIs? Because I can't see them playing that, and I can't see it working either. Sehwag, Sachin, Ishant?

Original post by like a boss
Irfan is only 27, he can still comfortably play test cricket for 5 years before he even thinks about retiring. As for Ishant, he is simply not bowling well enough considering he has had so many opportunities and attention. After the number the test matches he has played, you would expect a bowler to have ironed out any flaws and inconsistencies they may have.
When a bowler doesn't take wickets, they must be dropped. When Bhajji stopped taking wickets, he was dropped. When Munaf stopped taking wickets, he was dropped. So why does the same not apply to Ishant Sharma? He should be sent back to Ranji trophy or county cricket to prove himself before they let him back in the team.

Ishant is a bowler who is vastly, vastly overrated by the cricket world. It's only on the Australia tour that people have sort of started mentioning that, previously it's always about him being an 'unlucky' bowler etc. The Ishant love affair created by the media is ridiculous, he gets massively praised just for bowling a maiden and I've heard the most contrived praising of him from Arun Lal etc. He's an awful batsman and a poor fielder. He's got a dire average and a mediocre strike rate.

That being said, India have invested 45 test matches of trust into him. He's now 23/24, and has matured physically. He's tall and quick, and if someone can just sort out a few of the kinks with his action, he could become good. India have invested far too much in him to give up now. After 38 test matches, Zaheer also averaged 38, but he's come good now hasn't he, and he's a good bowler now. India will have to pray that the same happens to Ishant, because Zaheer's injury record isn't brilliant, and I reckon he's coming to an end soon.
Original post by Straight up G
Test or ODIs? Because I can't see them playing that, and I can't see it working either. Sehwag, Sachin, Ishant?

Ishant is a bowler who is vastly, vastly overrated by the cricket world. It's only on the Australia tour that people have sort of started mentioning that, previously it's always about him being an 'unlucky' bowler etc. The Ishant love affair created by the media is ridiculous, he gets massively praised just for bowling a maiden and I've heard the most contrived praising of him from Arun Lal etc. He's an awful batsman and a poor fielder. He's got a dire average and a mediocre strike rate.

That being said, India have invested 45 test matches of trust into him. He's now 23/24, and has matured physically. He's tall and quick, and if someone can just sort out a few of the kinks with his action, he could become good. India have invested far too much in him to give up now. After 38 test matches, Zaheer also averaged 38, but he's come good now hasn't he, and he's a good bowler now. India will have to pray that the same happens to Ishant, because Zaheer's injury record isn't brilliant, and I reckon he's coming to an end soon.

The only reason they have invested so much in him is because he is very tall, for an indian man. They are afraid that if they let him go, they will never find another tall fast bowler. I think he is a complete waste of space who has done significant harm to indian cricket by hogging all the attention of the bowling coaches and not allowing other quality bowlers to get into the test team.
Original post by like a boss
The only reason they have invested so much in him is because he is very tall, for an indian man. They are afraid that if they let him go, they will never find another tall fast bowler. I think he is a complete waste of space who has done significant harm to indian cricket by hogging all the attention of the bowling coaches and not allowing other quality bowlers to get into the test team.

I agree he has been a waste of space recently and hasnt taken many wickets. but i would still stay with him because sometimes he is very good. Like at Lords on the 4th day his spell before lunch was amazing he took 2 wickets and didnt let many runs. Also when Zaheer retires who will lead our bowling attack? Im not saying Ishant is the perfect person to lead but no other bowler has that much experience. He is still a talented bowler who hasnt fulfilled his full potential yet.
What a match, IPL is just amazing!!

unbelievable chase!!
Reply 1284
Caught the end of that match, was a decent finish.
What the **** just happened? I have no allegiances in the IPL (though I supported Kallis/RCB a few seasons back) but I watched the end of today's match. What the **** was the thinking process to give the second last over to Kohli ahead of the recognised bowler? I don't know jack about Bhatkal but apparently he's in the team as a bowler so he should be bowling ahead of Virat Kohli, who is there as a batsman. Anyways, Albie Morkel does what he, Afridi, Razzaq and all the other glorified sloggers in world cricket do once a season, turn a ridiculous position into a victory. RCB handed it to him on a plate though, astonishing. And then Vinay, a recognised international bowler, can't not concede 15, what is going on...

Edit: Bangalore payed $1million for Vinay Kumar.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Why isn't Azhar Mahmood being played..again?! :facepalm2:

EDIT: Visa issues :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Methinks RCBvsCSK was fixed.

Okay, add Sachin in. Otherwise, until Sehwag gets some form, he shouldn't be in the playing eleven.

Not sure what's going on with Ishant.

Course they won't play that team. The BCCI will have Sehwag, SRT, Laxman for sure.
Hey guys, wrote my first ever cricket match report for this website I'm interning with. First time so there will be a few errors and a lot that can be improved upon but let me know what you think!
http://www.thesportscampus.com/2012041220493/domestic-t20/ipl-2012-match13-csk-vs-rcb
What the **** just happened? I have no allegiances in the IPL (though I supported Kallis/RCB a few seasons back) but I watched the end of today's match. What the **** was the thinking process to give the second last over to Kohli ahead of the recognised bowler? I don't know jack about Bhatkal but apparently he's in the team as a bowler so he should be bowling ahead of Virat Kohli, who is there as a batsman. Anyways, Albie Morkel does what he, Afridi, Razzaq and all the other glorified sloggers in world cricket do once a season, turn a ridiculous position into a victory. RCB handed it to him on a plate though, astonishing. And then Vinay, a recognised international bowler, can't not concede 15, what is going on...

Unbelievable.

Was it 49 from 2 overs required or something like that? Bowling Kohli, what were you thinking Vettori, what were you thinking.
Vettori had no other option other than Bhatkal, whose previous over had gone for 20. Ideally he should have saved an over from Zaheer, but he was looking for wickets in the middle overs. Most captains would have done the same thing IMO.

And anyway, Kohli and Bhatkal are both essentially pie chuckers. The same could have easily happened to Bhatkal.
Original post by Blackshadow
Why isn't Azhar Mahmood being played..again?! :facepalm2:

EDIT: Visa issues :facepalm:

The bigger question (and elephant in the IPL room) is why aren't the other Pakistan players allowed to play? (If you did something similar in the EU it would be unlawful...)

Surely the indian public would want to see Afridi walking out to bat for their side. Plus he is the perfect panto villain foe everyone else!
Trying to imagine the awkwardness when Virat Kohli high-fives Umar Akmal as they're both playing for RCB, or Dhoni patting Afridi on the back whilst playing for CSK.

Lol, that would make me laugh. So awkward, it's unreal.
^TBH, that wouldn't be awkward at all. There does seem to be a perception that the relationship between Indian and Pakistani players is to the point that they don't get on or will start a ruck and I think that's probably far from the truth.

In an interview, Imran Khan said that the relationship at the time he had, the best was with Indian players and I'd like to think - further than just cricket - that both sets of players have more in common than not.

Sure during games that's tense moments and players going up against each other but like in all cricket matches, doubt that is genuienly transferred to behind the scenes.

It's a big shame that Pakistani players aren't in the IPL - they made a huge impact in the first IPL and it adds to the event. But reading on Cricinfo, that ain't going to happen till relations between both countries improve and that'll probably take ages!
Original post by Aky786UK
^TBH, that wouldn't be awkward at all. There does seem to be a perception that the relationship between Indian and Pakistani players is to the point that they don't get on or will start a ruck and I think that's probably far from the truth.

In an interview, Imran Khan said that the relationship at the time he had, the best was with Indian players and I'd like to think - further than just cricket - that both sets of players have more in common than not.

Sure during games that's tense moments and players going up against each other but like in all cricket matches, doubt that is genuienly transferred to behind the scenes.

It's a big shame that Pakistani players aren't in the IPL - they made a huge impact in the first IPL and it adds to the event. But reading on Cricinfo, that ain't going to happen till relations between both countries improve and that'll probably take ages!

I agree with this, most of this is spot on. I've seen pictures and things before, and just get the general impression that there isn't a great deal of animosity between them. I think ties between the country are improving, trade ties have already improved and are continuing to improve, diplomatic ties will follow soon, and it's not too unlikely that we'll see Pakistani players play IPL next year. There's rumours of Indian playing an ODI at Gadaffi Stadium in November as well.

Not that I want them to play IPL, they'd be better off taking a break as they've done this year, and it could eventually lead to stand offs like Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Narine etc. An argument put forward is that the extra money would keep the players satisfied, maybe, but you know, their central contracts increase in value every year and half of them play in FLT20, BBL, BPL etc.
Original post by Idris Dragon
The bigger question (and elephant in the IPL room) is why aren't the other Pakistan players allowed to play? (If you did something similar in the EU it would be unlawful...)

Surely the indian public would want to see Afridi walking out to bat for their side. Plus he is the perfect panto villain foe everyone else!

I for one would pay good money to see Afridi playing in the IPL. You're right, he's the perfect "anti-hero", the one that most people would love to hate. IPL, MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Reply 1297
Original post by Idris Dragon
The bigger question (and elephant in the IPL room) is why aren't the other Pakistan players allowed to play? (If you did something similar in the EU it would be unlawful...)Surely the indian public would want to see Afridi walking out to bat for their side. Plus he is the perfect panto villain foe everyone else!
it's because bcci has that grudge against pakistani players (...well pakistan in particular:rolleyes:) and that's why they aren't playing.it's a shame though, pakistan have got the best t20 players gul for instance, india would love to see him in action.yeah, i'm, sure indian fans would love to see shahid afridi too. But, the thing is this "feud" will just go on and on,
takes the piss tbh. :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dgeorge
I for one would pay good money to see Afridi playing in the IPL. You're right, he's the perfect "anti-hero", the one that most people would love to hate. IPL, MAKE THIS HAPPEN

Original post by Aky786UK

!

Yes thats exactly true because most ex pakistani players have said that indian players are their best friends off the ptich, like imran, akram, yousef etc. Most pakistani players are of the opinon that sachin is the best player of all time for example, whereas the aussies and english always go for don bradman. It was even the case that indian and pakistan fans got on great together when matches were hosted in india and when india did tour paksitan in 04 with people mobbing the players wherever they went. Becuase the two lots of peoples over there share a lot in common and dont really care to much bout the bull politics. ( doubt if that would apply to fans in the Uk though).

The reason BCCI ban pakistanform IPL etc is simply because of pakistani government and their insistence to allow islamic terrorists to plot murders within their borders - that is still the cause of most of pakistans problems even today.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nm786
it's because bcci has that grudge against pakistani players (...well pakistan in particular:rolleyes:) and that's why they aren't playing.it's a shame though, pakistan have got the best t20 players gul for instance, india would love to see him in action.yeah, i'm, sure indian fans would love to see shahid afridi too. But, the thing is this "feud" will just go on and on,
takes the piss tbh. :angry:

Its not BCCI, it's political issues between India-Pakistan which not allowing Pakistani players to come to IPL. BCCI dont mind them playing in the IPL like in the first year but after 26/11 , political tension between both countries have increased. So for everyone's safety they are not allowed. Once the political issue between both countries ease off then the cricketing relations between both countries will start again-

Latest