The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher History - Will it be hard?

I'm currently in S3, although I'm sitting my standard grades this year. I do modern studies - I'm best in the year. I got a 1:1 in my prelim. Because of the columns I have chosen higher history. I am wondering, will I find it hard? I have heard History and Modern Studies are similar.

I will have 2 years to do my highers. I want to study medicine, so do you think I could get an A for history? (I got a 1 for English in my prelim)
Reply 1
Original post by anthonyfl
I want to study medicine, so do you think I could get an A for history? (I got a 1 for English in my prelim)

Firstly, none of this links together... If you want to study Medicine, why do you want to choose History? Plus, what does your English prelim result have to do with anything? Just because you want to study Medicine at uni, that won't get you an A in Higher History... Medicine is a very competitive course at uni, therefore, to succeed in getting a place, you should really be thinking of subjects such as Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English so that you can then take them as Advanced Highers to give you a definite chance of getting into uni!

Original post by anthonyfl
I do modern studies - I'm best in the year. I got a 1:1 in my prelim. Because of the columns I have chosen higher history. I am wondering, will I find it hard? I have heard History and Modern Studies are similar.

It is true that there is a link between Modern Studies and History, although they're not really that 'similar'. There are common depths in the British topics e.g. in health and wealth, which makes the context easier to understand. Although it's really if you have both Higher Modern Studies and History, which it comes to an advantage. Not Standard Grade Modern Studies and Higher History. Also, if you did Standard Grade History, you will find that some of the work in Higher is a repeat, but in more detail. Therefore crashing Higher History might be difficult 'to an extent...' - you will become very familiar to this statement - but there is the possibilty that if you like the subject and do the work, you will be sure to easily get a pass!
Reply 2
I'm doing chemistry and physics, also :smile: Well English is essays and so is history, so I thought there may be some sort of a link between them.

But thanks anyway :biggrin:

Original post by Nfergs
Firstly, none of this links together... If you want to study Medicine, why do you want to choose History? Plus, what does your English prelim result have to do with anything? Just because you want to study Medicine at uni, that won't get you an A in Higher History... Medicine is a very competitive course at uni, therefore, to succeed in getting a place, you should really be thinking of subjects such as Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English so that you can then take them as Advanced Highers to give you a definite chance of getting into uni!

It is true that there is a link between Modern Studies and History, although they're not really that 'similar'. There are common depths in the British topics e.g. in health and wealth, which makes the context easier to understand. Although it's really if you have both Higher Modern Studies and History, which it comes to an advantage. Not Standard Grade Modern Studies and Higher History. Also, if you did Standard Grade History, you will find that some of the work in Higher is a repeat, but in more detail. Therefore crashing Higher History might be difficult 'to an extent...' - you will become very familiar to this statement - but there is the possibilty that if you like the subject and do the work, you will be sure to easily get a pass!
Reply 3
True, you need a good English grade to be successful at Higher History although I can assure you that English and History are not 'just essay' subjects. As well as essays for English you also have your close reading which is paper 1. In Higher History paper 1 is 2 essays and paper 2 is questions on relation to sources, sort of similar to Modern Studies exam questions although a little more difficult and much longer with recalled inormation and analysis in comparison to Background Knowledge.

So therefore, please don't think you only have essays to work hard on in History and English!
I crashed Higher History last year and I got a B. I wouldn't say it was hard to be honest. It's a lot easier than modern studies.

I think unis prefer it if you sit Highers in the one year.
Reply 5
You don't need Standard Grade history to do Higher. The chances are that those who have studied sg will not have touched on the issues in higher. If you can pick up the essay technique, paper one is easy enough. If you can do es in standard grade modern studies, you'll be able to pick up the history technique easy enough.
Original post by peanutbutterlove
I crashed Higher History last year and I got a B. I wouldn't say it was hard to be honest. It's a lot easier than modern studies.

No way, History is so much harder than Modern Studies!, the marking on Modern Studies means you can easily get 10+ in essay's, whereas in History it's quite difficult to get higher than that in essays.
Reply 7
Original post by S119234
No way, History is so much harder than Modern Studies!, the marking on Modern Studies means you can easily get 10+ in essay's, whereas in History it's quite difficult to get higher than that in essays.

I don't do Modern Studies so I'm no fair judge, but friends/acquaintances of mine seem to be finding it incredibly difficult. Conversely, I'm finding History pretty easy to be honest. At the start of the year I was getting consisten B's but the last 10-or-so I've done I've had reasonable A's, usually around the 15/16 mark :tongue:
Original post by ..lauren
I don't do Modern Studies so I'm no fair judge, but friends/acquaintances of mine seem to be finding it incredibly difficult. Conversely, I'm finding History pretty easy to be honest. At the start of the year I was getting consisten B's but the last 10-or-so I've done I've had reasonable A's, usually around the 15/16 mark :tongue:

Gosh, I must just be quite bad at it :tongue:, always though M.S was a lot easier!
Reply 9
they're not that similar but i'm currently crashing it in 6th year, as are many of the people in my class, and finding it fine :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by S119234
Gosh, I must just be quite bad at it :tongue:, always though M.S was a lot easier!

See that's really strange! I've never came across someone who finds modern studies easy and a good proportion of those in my school sitting it are faling and many have dropped it! Not that people arent failing/dropping history, but you tend to hear a lot more fuss about MS :tongue:
Have to say that I have done both history and Modern Studies at Higher and though that both were okay in terms of difficulty. Last year I found history quite easy and got an A (though that is probably because I got 29 out of 30 for the extended essay) and am finding Modern Studies to be of the same difficultly level. The essays are easier I think but the source based paper is quite difficult. I think it's worth noting that you don't necessarily need Higher English to do well at History, I only did Int 2 English in fifth year because my use of the written word was not sufficient enough for higher though I managed to do well in History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending