The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey Oxford Brookers, existencial doubt here.

I'll be a postgraduate student at OB and as I come from abroad I will apply for halls. My doubt is wether to go for postgraduate only halls/blocks or go to mix/undergraduate halls.

The thing is I am a pg student and also qualify as mature student (I'll be 24 in july). however, I lived in halls all my years at uni in madrid with people from 18 to twenty something and I never got the impression there was a sort of age gap....

Are you british undergraduates as noisy as they say? ¬¬ Even for a spaniard used to live in noisy Madrid?

I dunno what to do, sorry about the waffling around. But I don't want to end up in a PG flat with people old enough to be my parents and whose definition of fun is having a glass of wine at 8pm on a Saturday :wink:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by peliqueiro
Hey Oxford Brookers, existencial doubt here.

I'll be a postgraduate student at OB and as I come from abroad I will apply for halls. My doubt is wether to go for postgraduate only halls/blocks or go to mix/undergraduate halls.

The thing is I am a pg student and also qualify as mature student (I'll be 24 in july). however, I lived in halls all my years at uni in madrid with people from 18 to twenty something and I never got the impression there was a sort of age gap....

Are you british undergraduates as noisy as they say? ¬¬ Even for a spaniard used to live in noisy Madrid?

I dunno what to do, sorry about the waffling around. But I don't want to end up in a PG flat with people old enough to be my parents and whose definition of fun is having a glass of wine at 8pm on a Saturday :wink:

It varies per flat. If you go into undergrad halls you could end up living with 6 first years who just want to go out and party till 4am. you could end up with a really quite flat. Its hard to judge but id say if you want it to be quiter id go with PG halls.
I see... ¬¬ It looks like my ideal choice would be to go to an undergraduate hall/block but with 2nd and 3rd yr students (do they stay in halls in OB afer 1st yr?)
I see... ¬¬ It looks like my ideal choice would be to go to an undergraduate hall/block but with 2nd and 3rd yr students (do they stay in halls in OB afer 1st yr?)

The first time ever is this year where 2nd and 3rd years are allowed to stay in certain halls. However im not sure A) how many r taking up these flats and B) if those people will be grouped together leaving all new incoming students to be grouped together. Best thing to do would be to give the accom office a ring. They r really helpful and you can ask about being placed in a flat with these people.
I'll try to email them once I have received the accomodation stuff. They should be reaching us in the next couple of weeks :smile:
I accepted my offer on UKPASS but I have had no further contact with Brookes People. Is it alright or should I have received anything? Has anyone received their accommodation stuff already?
I'll try to email them once I have received the accomodation stuff. They should be reaching us in the next couple of weeks :smile:

i hope they don't take as long as they did with sending out their offers...
offers? maybe for undergraduates. I sent all my 5 pg applications by xmas and oxford were first ones to decide in early february :smile:
oh okay...applied for an undergraduate course in desember and they didn't reply before now...:wink:
Do you know what halls are u applying for?

I am hesitating between CLive Booth (the new block for PG and mature students) and Cheney. Clive Booth PG is newer and nicer but in Cheney you literally roll out of bed into Uni :P

I am hesitating between CLive Booth (the new block for PG and mature students) and Cheney. Clive Booth PG is newer and nicer but in Cheney you literally roll out of bed into Uni :P

what you have to remeber with cheney it has a longer contract of 50 weeks i think, which means you have to pay for all 50 even if you will only use it for term time (if only use it for term time clive booth is better and alot cheaper)
Original post by Jack22031994
what you have to remeber with cheney it has a longer contract of 50 weeks i think, which means you have to pay for all 50 even if you will only use it for term time (if only use it for term time clive booth is better and alot cheaper)

my course is 12 months long so Ill be in oxford all summer2013
my course is 12 months long so Ill be in oxford all summer2013

Ah ok, it probably means Cheney is better then
Well, you can also stay at CLive Booth during the summer, if I am right
Well, you can also stay at CLive Booth during the summer, if I am right

Yes, you can indeed. Certainly in the PG Centre. It is very nice here, most people seem to be in their 20's and international students, but there are all nationalities and ages represented. :smile:
The only thing that worries me a bit about postgraduate dedicated accommodation is ending up with people much older than me, whose lifestyle is more similar to that of my parents ¬¬ But I suppose they take this into account when mixing people into flats, I don't think PG students in their 30s or 40s want to live with kids in their 20s, even though they are PG students :smile:
The only thing that worries me a bit about postgraduate dedicated accommodation is ending up with people much older than me, whose lifestyle is more similar to that of my parents ¬¬ But I suppose they take this into account when mixing people into flats, I don't think PG students in their 30s or 40s want to live with kids in their 20s, even though they are PG students :smile:

It depends what you want. The Clive Booth PG centre is very social and it seems that most of the 20's here do want to focus on their studies. If you want 'party central' then Cheney may be better for you. Either way I'm sure you'll be just fine.
So I assume you live in Clive Booth PG right now.

I am not a party animal or anything like that and I am definitely focusing on my Masters above anything. However I do like a wild friday night out every once in a while :wink: And PGs in their 30s don't do that :wink: Anyway Clive Booth seems quite right for me. If Cheney is packed with party hungry first years... ¬¬ must admit I'm not 18 anymore...

haha that´s true :biggrin:
mh i am not sure were i want to live...i probably have to go for the cheapest one which is crescent hall...or i was thinking about sharing houses...:colondollar: not sure.
but other than that i´d definitly prefer clive booth :biggrin:
can't afford sharing houses, it would mean a house hunting trip to oxford from continental europe. any pound saved on rent would be spent on house hunting ¬¬

Quick Reply