The Student Room Group

NHS literacy and numeracy test

Hello I am new to this site and I do have concerns about the literacy andnumeracy test for the Health Care Assistant for the NHS.

I have tried it on two occasions and both times I have failed.

Could someone share their experiences with me and let me know if there are any websites that I can get to for information.

Many thanks

Borntobeawinner
Reply 1
I am currently a HCA and had no problems with the tests, make sure you read the questions carefully, don't rush your answers you have loads of time available to complete them.

I took a pen and paper with me, turned out to be useful for the listening parts on the English test!

If you're having problems I'm sure you'll be able to find free adult refresher courses somewhere locally or online.
Reply 2
If you look at University websites and look up Nursing, lots of them have links to webpages to help with numeracy. (I know KCL does). Brush up on KS2 skills and as bubble87 suggests, you should be able to locate free adult refresher courses to get you through those tests. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bubble87
I am currently a HCA and had no problems with the tests, make sure you read the questions carefully, don't rush your answers you have loads of time available to complete them.

I took a pen and paper with me, turned out to be useful for the listening parts on the English test!

If you're having problems I'm sure you'll be able to find free adult refresher courses somewhere locally or online.

This sounds crazy-I didn't have to do this for GCSE English Language so they shouldn't be testing it?
Reply 4
Original post by Dalek1099
This sounds crazy-I didn't have to do this for GCSE English Language so they shouldn't be testing it?

I think it's just to test your fluency and understanding of the language coz there's so much patient contact involved. There were only about 3 spoken questions on there.
Reply 5
Original post by Bubble87
I think it's just to test your fluency and understanding of the language coz there's so much patient contact involved. There were only about 3 spoken questions on there.

I thought it was Listening not Speaking:confused:
Reply 6
Yea sorry it is, I meant spoken for you to answer questions on! It's only a pre-recorded thing.
Reply 7
Yes for the numeracy try snaps nhs

Quick Reply

Latest