The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OneTimer
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.

Hi OneTimer,
I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order).

What other A Levels/Pre U's do you do? I know it is generally considered that if your school offers Further Maths you need a very good reason to not be doing it.

Hope that helps
Original post by Jellybean732

I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order)

Bloody hell that's a tough offer
Original post by Acerbic
Bloody hell that's a tough offer

Perhaps so, but it's a breeze compared to the Economics Tripos itself.
Hi OneTimer,
I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order).

What other A Levels/Pre U's do you do? I know it is generally considered that if your school offers Further Maths you need a very good reason to not be doing it.

Hope that helps

My subjects are Pre-U Maths, Pre-U Economics, A-Level Politics and I did AS History (A grade)
My subjects are Pre-U Maths, Pre-U Economics, A-Level Politics and I did AS History (A grade)

I don't know exactly how the workload compares between Pre-U's and A Levels (I assume Pre-U's require slightly more work); your choices are good and you can avoid maths to some extent through more history and political papers.

It's certainly worth applying as long as your predicted grades are all A/A* equivalent and you have good AS's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions
I don't know exactly how the workload compares between Pre-U's and A Levels (I assume Pre-U's require slightly more work); your choices are good and you can avoid maths to some extent through more history and political papers.

It's certainly worth applying as long as your predicted grades are all A/A* equivalent and you have good AS's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Do you know if there are any colleges i should specifically avoid applying to because of not having further maths? I cant remember where or by whom but I recall being advised that colleges differ on the importance of having further maths
Reply 1186
Do you know if there are any colleges i should specifically avoid applying to because of not having further maths? I cant remember where or by whom but I recall being advised that colleges differ on the importance of having further maths

Hi there,
I don't think you should worry about not having further maths, just make sure you get good grades this year. I had this same worry about not having further maths, but I do regret letting this worry stop me applying to particular unis. However, I got an offer from Cambridge without it. Just look to see which college you'd like to apply to (maybe make a list) and then go in that order, finding about the college and it's requirements.
Just a head's up for your list- King's do not mind if you don't have further maths :smile:

Cambridge state on their website that Maths is essential and Economics and Further Maths are desirable; I guess you may have to make a stronger interview and show your aptitude for maths more but I don't believe it's a huge issue.

As for the colleges, the course is taught by the University as a whole but I do recall seeing a table somewhere on their website which noted which colleges preferred Further Maths - can't seem to find it at the moment I'm afraid.
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.

I think they may be concerned if your maths is not up to A* (D2) standard especially as you will be having to "catch up" on the FM statistics aspects you won't have covered in sixth form.

Realistically your chances start at 15% as an Economics applicant and of those who get in a high proportion will be predicted A*A*A* or better including FM. Don't forget your next three choices (typically LSE, UCL, Warwick) also look for FM & UCL at least make A* in single maths compulsory.
Original post by Colmans
I think they may be concerned if your maths is not up to A* (D2) standard especially as you will be having to "catch up" on the FM statistics aspects you won't have covered in sixth form.

Realistically your chances start at 15% as an Economics applicant and of those who get in a high proportion will be predicted A*A*A* or better including FM. Don't forget your next three choices (typically LSE, UCL, Warwick) also look for FM & UCL at least make A* in single maths compulsory.

If you get an A* in maths early but it's suppose something like 88 96...will that (the 88) adversely affect your chances? What if you resit it and get 95+? It's just I do Edexcel which sets easy papers with extremely high grade boundaries which fails to differentiate between the strongest candidates but rather those that are good at not making sign slip errors etc.
Original post by Extricated
If you get an A* in maths early but it's suppose something like 88 96...will that (the 88) adversely affect your chances? What if you resit it and get 95+? It's just I do Edexcel which sets easy papers with extremely high grade boundaries which fails to differentiate between the strongest candidates but rather those that are good at not making sign slip errors etc.

Not at all, although sitting maths A2 in year 12 is not really considered "early" as so many schools do this. Higher is always better but they also assess your maths ability at interview and it is your overall AS average they compare when it comes to their "best three" score. On the whole the stats modules are the most important and these are worth trying hard for. I suppose someone who could never score above 90% on any stats might worry them.
They make it very clear that a one off low module doesn't matter (I got 82 on one Economics module, resat and got 100 and they gave me an offer before I resat.)

95 91 88 im guessing 86 next NOT 96!!!!!! fffffffffffffs

:rip:

Nope, I would even venture that the effect it will have on your chances will be minimal. I had 89, 86 at the time of applying in C3/C4. When it comes to things like this, other factors like how you do at interview and the quality of submitted work would be far more important than a mark here or there. Maybe it could make the difference in a highly marginal decision, but even then there would be other things which could be improved upon that would be more important.
However, I would think about resitting if you feel you are not happy with your performance in C3 and want to consolidate your knowledge. You need to be totally comfortable with core maths going into Cambridge.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1193

I agree with Ray_Han's answer. I got 87/96 and it wasn't a problem. At that point other factors come in to play, a friend got 99/100 or something and I'm afraid he didn't get in.
Just to clear this up for anyone who is wondering:

You do not need Further Maths to get in to the Economics Tripos. However, it does help a lot. And the level of Maths in the tripos itself is high enough that you will wish you'd taken it.

I'm currently studying Economics at Cambridge, and even having done FM some of the Maths is still quite challenging. Some other economists in my college who haven't taken it, however, find it miles harder. (Proof you don't need it, but that it helps) Also, may I suggest you focus on the stats papers.. It will make your life miles easier. Good Luck!
Reply 1195
Have any of you guys had done preparation for Cams economics interview? Can you plz tell me what kind of thing that is quite important to prepare with? Tks!!!! And what about all the tests in the interview, are they excessively tough? :smile:
Reply 1196
Original post by Musicy
Have any of you guys had done preparation for Cams economics interview? Can you plz tell me what kind of thing that is quite important to prepare with? Tks!!!! And what about all the tests in the interview, are they excessively tough? :smile:

Make sure you are up to date with current events and sharp on your Maths and A-level Economic theory.
Original post by Musicy

As zhx said, make sure you are have kept up to date to with your current affairs and are comfortable with the concepts you have covered in maths (esp. C1 and C2) and economics. Try and understand them rather than just learning them e.g. what is differentiation showing.
In addition to this, try and go in with the right mindset. You may well be nervous but it's worth having some practice interviews to see if those nerves prevent you from thinking coherently and if so, how you can overcome this. It's also important think flexibly and this is where your understanding of topics will show. For example, they might set you a differentiation question, but then they will be testing whether you understand how it links to a consumer maximisation problem. They won't expect you to know anything outside of the syllabus (apart from having an idea about current affairs and stuff you have mentioned in the PS), but they might try to take your understanding of the topics to its limits.

As for tests, as far as I know there are a few colleges who use the TSA, and then the odd college sets their own tests. The TSA can be prepared for by doing some past papers and practice questions http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/tsacambridge/Test+Preparation, but I guess it helps if you've done AS critical thinking.
I'm not really sure what college tests are like, but I can link you to a sample provided by Gonville and Caius, which I think is also a good indicator of what questions you might get in an interview. Although interviews will vary by college and often by applicant. http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/SampleEcTest_Oct102.pdf

Interviews are probably going to be tough, but they are a good indication of what supervisions will be like and whether you will benefit from the Cambridge system. You probably wont come out of your interview thinking you've done really well, but hopefully you will have enjoyed the experience. Interviews will be taken in conjunction with UMS scores, test scores or submitted work, and also a general enthusiasm you can convey through the interviews and in the personal statement, so don't see them as make or break.

Anyway, rambled on long enough now, hopefully the above helps :tongue:.
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering roughly how many students attend each economics lecture in Cambridge. Is it like LSE where students from other departments (perhaps land economy) join the economics students in their lectures, or is it generally only for students studying economics?
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering roughly how many students attend each economics lecture in Cambridge. Is it like LSE where students from other departments (perhaps land economy) join the economics students in their lectures, or is it generally only for students studying economics?

It is almost exclusively those studying economics (so something like 120 students for compulsory papers). There's nothing to prevent other students attending, but very few students would have the time and/or inclination to do so.

Quick Reply