The Student Room Group

IB Geography Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh... Memories! Personally I found geography exams fairly forgiving. If you've studied the topics to a decent degree and looked at past papers you should be fine (even if the syllabus has changed slightly!). The only problem I have was p3... It seemed strangely hit and miss in our year, some people got 7s and some people (like me -_-) got 4s and we weren't exactly sure why tbh. Brought me down from a 7 to a 6 though :frown:.

Overall though, just try and relax in the geography exams. They are well written and though they test your knowledge they aren't expecting you to spout hundreds of quotations and facts, it is more about trying to apply what you do know in an effective way and thinking about the question.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by TTGenius
how do u guys feel about p3? Globalization kind of ****

Horrible, I know next to nothing about Globalization! :frown: It's so much like general knowledge, I don't know what distinguishes a 7 from a 4.

Do you have any notes/ tips on P3? I really need them :frown: I had P1 just now, and it was OK. Could have gone better, but could have gone a lot worse, too. Math studies P2 was a breeze :cool: Can't believe I'm done with Math forever!
Reply 22
Original post by saachi
Horrible, I know next to nothing about Globalization! :frown: It's so much like general knowledge, I don't know what distinguishes a 7 from a 4.

Do you have any notes/ tips on P3? I really need them :frown: I had P1 just now, and it was OK. Could have gone better, but could have gone a lot worse, too. Math studies P2 was a breeze :cool: Can't believe I'm done with Math forever!

sorry i don't have any electronic notes, u don't have any textbook or alike?
i agree it's general knowledge though, for guys who can talk a lot, it's like nothing
Is everyone ready for paper 2 and paper 3 tomorrow?

I have some questions about paper 2, so if anyone is doing food and health, maybe you can help me? In sub-topic 3, we are told to 'describe the factors that have enabled reduction in incidence of a disease'. What do they mean by this?

If you have any specific questions maybe I can help you guys too :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 24
I guess they mean here to write what enabled people to reduce the presence of disease, like invention of new medicine that prevents people from catching given illness..
Reply 25
i HATE globalization and i'm getting really nervous about it tomorrow. i compeltely bombed my mocks paper 3 and am really freaking. anyone got tips on how to condense this stuff ?
Reply 26
Original post by IBstudent123

I have some questions about paper 2, so if anyone is doing food and health, maybe you can help me? In sub-topic 3, we are told to 'describe the factors that have enabled reduction in incidence of a disease'. What do they mean by this?

Good luck!

I just want to wish you lots of luck for tomorrow's papers.
Reply 27
Original post by Schmood
i HATE globalization and i'm getting really nervous about it tomorrow. i compeltely bombed my mocks paper 3 and am really freaking. anyone got tips on how to condense this stuff ?

Same, same! Globalization makes my head spin! :frown: Studying for it feels like general knowledge, but trying to answer the questions is so hard! Let's just hope the questions are easy-ish.

I need advice for P3 too.
Reply 28
Original post by saachi
Same, same! Globalization makes my head spin! :frown: Studying for it feels like general knowledge, but trying to answer the questions is so hard! Let's just hope the questions are easy-ish.

I need advice for P3 too.

Lets hope we don't get any of this economic stuff on it, if its the other three sections they are okay but their question wording is horrid. One more day then we are done with this subject.
who did the essay about water scarcity on P1 TZ2 section B?
Reply 30
I did question 6 TZ0 Paper 1.
Reply 31
Original post by KeelyEverywhere
who did the essay about water scarcity on P1 TZ2 section B?

I did, it was such an ambiguous question because it said "population change" which cold refer to growth, decline, change in age cohorts,

I regret taking it.

What did u write about it?
Reply 32
I need urgent help. Does anybody have the markscheme for the may 2011 higher level paper 3?
Original post by IBstudent123

Good luck!

I'm doing FAH :smile:

I think they are talking about general things, think the general things which help improve life expectancy....Improved access to clean drinking water, Better Healthcare, Better Sanitation, Improved Diet, Vaccination (big one), New Preventative Measures (ie new vaccinations and medicines), but also better access to Preventative Measures (ie Malaria Nets, Condoms...etc...)

Best of luck, and I'm praying for a nice case study :biggrin:
Thank you!! That really helps - I was so confused when I read the syllabus requirement but the information you wrote down makes a lot of sense!

I'm also super worried for paper 3 tomorrow! it's the wording of the questions that make writing the essay so difficult i think - to me they just seem so abstract and I feel as if we're not given enough 'direction'.

Oh well, hopefully both papers tomorrow will go well! Good luck everyone! :smile:
(And thank you SunFreak! Really appreciate it. How are you???)
Reply 36
Oh well, good luck on Paper 2 and 3 tomorrow everybody!
Reply 37
I know this is really last-minute, but does anyone do the Urban Environments option?

What is expected for the expectation:
"Examine the causes and effects of the movement of socio-economic groups since the 1890s"??

ahhh there are SO many case studies to know :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by -raisa
I know this is really last-minute, but does anyone do the Urban Environments option?

What is expected for the expectation:
"Examine the causes and effects of the movement of socio-economic groups since the 1890s"??

ahhh there are SO many case studies to know :frown:

The expectation is probably for you not do to it, lol. It's a pretty terrible question to be honest. So much time has elapsed between 1890 and now that that question is extremely difficult to answer effectively, so I would recommend keeping clear of it.
Reply 39
Original post by SDK94
The expectation is probably for you not do to it, lol. It's a pretty terrible question to be honest. So much time has elapsed between 1890 and now that that question is extremely difficult to answer effectively, so I would recommend keeping clear of it.

oh no that was a typo! I meant 1980s :colondollar:

Quick Reply